1911 ejection issues

1911 ejection issues

This is a discussion on 1911 ejection issues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a few questions... Well I thought I was doing ok then last night at the range, I started getting some mis-feed/ejection problems. Prior to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: 1911 ejection issues

1911 ejection issues

Just a few questions...

Well I thought I was doing ok then last night at the range, I started getting some mis-feed/ejection problems. Prior to that, the brass started hitting my head more than it usually did. This is a relatively new pistol - maybe 500 rounds.

A search around the troublenet and Youtube points to the extractor tension as one possible cause. (Well, there are actually a half dozen possible causes but the pattern of brass ejection seems to point to this one.) I dont want to start bending stuff if I dont have to, and I really dont want to break the thing. I watched some videos that can't possible be expected to be taken seriously.

Is this as easy to bend properly as it looks? Is it easy to snap if you use too much force?

Are extractors made with the proper tension/angle? Or are they inserted and bend then?

I don't want to take this into the local GS, he's really good but with his customer traffic and demand he will take forever to get to your gun.

My Colt Defender started doing that early on. Especially the brass to the forehead part. Since it had been working properly before, I didn't want to start off by altering parts. Upon disassembly, I discovered that the extractor tunnel was pretty gunked up with grease and debris. After a thorough cleaning it functioned fine again. I believe the grease and debris were interfering with extractor function. Lesson learned was to clean the extractor tunnels more frequently on all my 1911's
    ETXhiker, OD*, forester58 and 1 others like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Is this as easy to bend properly as it looks? Is it easy to snap if you use too much force?
    Yes it is, and no they aren't.

Are extractors made with the proper tension/angle? Or are they inserted and bend then?
    Some are machined with a slight curve, Wilson Combat comes to mind, most are tensioned when assembled. I would check the extractor tunnel as mentioned above for gunk.

These are pretty good videos.

AzQkr, Cuda66, ETXhiker and 10 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nix
    I agree with HB, ^^^^. Try disassembling the upper and giving that extractor tunnel and extractor a good cleaning. This may be the trick, especially with a new pistol. Check to see if there are any burrs on the extractor that might impede it's free motion.

If that don't git 'er done. Then you might need to adjust the extractor tension. I got an extractor tensioning tool for that purpose, but I know some "shade tree gunsmiths" will bend them by hand.

It's also possible that the extractor didn't get decently heat treated to a spring hardness when it was manufactured and has taken a slight set. In that case, it might be necessary to replace it with a quality part. I repalced one of mine with an Ed Brown extractor; that has been flawless. Wilson and Brownell's carry them, too.

I'm no pistol smith, and I imagine that some more experienced guys will come along here to offer more insightful help.

(Ooops, I see OD beat me on the draw....)
    OD*, Cuda66, ETXhiker and 4 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I agree with HB, ^^^^. Try disassembling the upper and giving that extractor tunnel and extractor a good cleaning. This may be the trick, especially with a new pistol. Check to see if there are any burrs on the extractor that might impede it's free motion.

If that don't git 'er done. Then you might need to adjust the extractor tension. I got an extractor tensioning tool for that purpose, but I know some "shade tree gunsmiths" will bend them by hand.

It's also possible that the extractor didn't get decently heat treated to a spring hardness when it was manufactured and has taken a slight set. In that case, it might be necessary to replace it with a quality part. I repalced one of mine with an Ed Brown extractor; that has been flawless. Wilson and Brownell's carry them, too.

I'm no pistol smith, and I imagine that some more experienced guys will come along here to offer more insightful help.

(Ooops, I see OD beat me on the draw....)
    You have some good points too.
    G-man*, SatCong and Poorly like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    I can't add too much to what has been said about extractor tuning, but there is also a chance the extractor is "clocking", meaning the firing pin stop is not fit tightly to the extractor. If the extractor is allowed to rotate, or clock, it may produce erratic ejections. You can look at the rear of the slide and see if the ejector is lined up with the firing pin stop, or if it is a bit off.

With regards to bending the extractor, it's a simple procedure. I am one of those that inserts the claw part-way into the tunnel, and ever so slightly bends the part whichever direction is necessary. I've never snapped one in half, and I have had success doing it this way.

What gun is it you are having issues with?
    Nix, G-man* and OD* like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

VIP Member
    A quick snap of a properly fit extractor to firing pin stop

OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Just a few questions...

Well I thought I was doing ok then last night at the range, I started getting some mis-feed/ejection problems. Prior to that, the brass started hitting my head more than it usually did. This is a relatively new pistol - maybe 500 rounds.

A search around the troublenet and Youtube points to the extractor tension as one possible cause. (Well, there are actually a half dozen possible causes but the pattern of brass ejection seems to point to this one.) I dont want to start bending stuff if I dont have to, and I really dont want to break the thing. I watched some videos that can't possible be expected to be taken seriously.

I don't want to take this into the local GS, he's really good but with his customer traffic and demand he will take forever to get to your gun.
    What is your 1911? Defender? Commander?

I've never had extraction problems with a Commander or Government.

I did have a heck of a time fixing my lightweight .45 Defender. Learned way more about 1911s than I ever thought I would. I adjusted the tension, beveled the ejector, and so on. Eventually I purchased an Ed Brown Extractor and replaced the ejector back to stock. I've had the best results with the Ed Brown extractor.
    deadguy, G-man* and OD* like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    What is your 1911? Defender? Commander?

I've never had extraction problems with a Commander or Government.

I did have a heck of a time fixing my lightweight .45 Defender. Learned way more about 1911s than I ever thought I would. I adjusted the tension, beveled the ejector, and so on. Eventually I purchased an Ed Brown Extractor and replaced the ejector back to stock. I've had the best results with the Ed Brown extractor.
    Gov Series 70.
    OD* likes this.

Thanks everyone. I'll go through the deep cleaning and see what that does for it. And I looked and the ejector alignment does look proper.
    deadguy and OD* like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator

I forgot about Jason's

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I can't add too much to what has been said about extractor tuning, but there is also a chance the extractor is "clocking", meaning the firing pin stop is not fit tightly to the extractor. If the extractor is allowed to rotate, or clock, it may produce erratic ejections. You can look at the rear of the slide and see if the ejector is lined up with the firing pin stop, or if it is a bit off.

With regards to bending the extractor, it's a simple procedure. I am one of those that inserts the claw part-way into the tunnel, and ever so slightly bends the part whichever direction is necessary. I've never snapped one in half, and I have had success doing it this way.

What gun is it you are having issues with?
    Clocking, can't believe I forgot that one after having to fit a tight FPS recently.
    deadguy, SatCong and msgt/ret like this.

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Clocking, can't believe I forgot that one after having to fit a tight FPS recently.
    When your head is as full of knowledge as yours, sometimes it takes a while to get to the fingertips.
    OD*, msgt/ret and G-man* like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    When your head is as full of knowledge as yours, sometimes it takes a while to get to the fingertips.
    That is very kind of you my friend, if only it were true!

While we're on the topic, have you tried Bill Laughridge's spring steel "Ultimate Extractor?" I've been using them for a while now, quite impressive IMO. https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0002
    msgt/ret likes this.

NRA Patron Member

A quick snap of a properly fit extractor to firing pin stop

DG, is that perfectly flush fitting? All of mine are slightly raised.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links