Did I just join a cult? - Page 2

Did I just join a cult?

This is a discussion on Did I just join a cult? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A S&W 57 was my 2nd centerfire handgun when I was 17. Great gun, great caliber although I loaded most of my ammo to be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Did I just join a cult?

A S&W 57 was my 2nd centerfire handgun when I was 17.

Great gun, great caliber although I loaded most of my ammo to be more of a .41 special. I sold it off while in college though, either for book money or to settle a bar tab. Still have dies, brass and even a conversion kit for my Dillon 550. Probably should find another one.

OP, congrats on finding a great revolver.
    Nix, drmordo, OD* and 2 others like this.
    homo homini lupus est

That's a terrific story, there, Nix! You should write a book. :)
    Nix and gatorbait51 like this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Did they make you shave your head and sign over your assets? Might be worth it for that beauty.
    Nix, ETXhiker and gatorbait51 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    Did they make you shave your head and sign over your assets? Might be worth it for that beauty.

No, Mrs Nix had already done that.......
    DownInTheDark and ETXhiker like this.

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Congrats on a classic, and the .41 Mag is not a compromise, wait until you fire a full magnum load, you'll think that you forgot to put on the ear muffs.
    Nix, ETXhiker and gatorbait51 like this.

Update:

Apparently I was dosed with something prior to being indoctrinated. Otherwise, I have no explanation for not noticing that the front sight was not fully seated when it was mounted and pinned!

So this means that my last two (2) S&W revolvers have had issues right out of the box. New, proof fired, and shipped to the customer faulty. Poor showing by S&W.

And I feel stooooopid for not noticing it while I was still in the store.

Regardless, I am still really thrilled about this .41. Never you mind that I don't even have one single round through it yet, I'm stoked to shoot it and carry it....one day.

I'm less stoked about the 10.5# trigger pull. It's not terrible. In single action mode, the break is crisp and clean and feels relatively light. I do suspect that I'll be shooting it mostly in single action, but for a woods carry revolver, I'd like the double action to be a little more...'shooter-friendly'.

So.....it was back to the store today.

This is a local place, and they take great care of their customers. They are going to correctly mount a new front sight for me. I've also asked them to do an action job to slick the trigger and see if that doesn't improve the pull-weight a wee bit (in the past, I've seen good results from this procedure). While the pistol is in pieces, I've also requested that the trigger lock be removed (I'll supply a replacement slug from Original Precision. Mr Winland supplied a similar part for my 686.)

Yes, more money for an already expensive pistol, but I remain very excited. I should have some handloading gear showing up soon, so while the 57 is in for it's spa treatment, I'll be making my first few batches of ammo for it.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I highly recommend both the Wilson springs set and a Cylinder and Slide extended firing pin.

I have a bunch of new S&W revolvers and have had significant issues with the stock firing pins being too short, to the point where even with stock springs they won't reliably ignite primers.

As a result, on a carry gun I replace the springs and firing pin before I even fire it.

Senior Moderator
    A warm welcome to "the Club."

The .41 Magnum really is an outstanding cartridge. I started out wanting one as a kid, but went down the .44 Magnum trail, only picking up my first .41 Magnum nine years ago. The .44 Magnum has been good to me for decades, but I'd have never bothered with it if I'd gotten that .41 Magnum first.

I'm not even certain that I buy into the notion that the .41 Magnum is flatter shooting than the .44 Magnum, but even at the insane distance that 100 yards represents there's really no useful trajectory differences anyway. It's a very potent handgun round and a gratifying handful to shoot. It's rewarding to a diligent hand loader. 1000 ft. lbs of muzzle energy is within its capabilities. .41 Magnum performance takes it well out of any generalizations that claim handguns are the feeble step-sisters of the firearms world.

Here's an older brother to your new revolver.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Name:  11012011neemannorris.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  78.1 KB
    gatorbait51 likes this.

That is simply gorgeous........
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I highly recommend both the Wilson springs set and a Cylinder and Slide extended firing pin.

I have a bunch of new S&W revolvers and have had significant issues with the stock firing pins being too short, to the point where even with stock springs they won't reliably ignite primers.

As a result, on a carry gun I replace the springs and firing pin before I even fire it.

I was thinking about a set of Apex springs..... Wilson is preferred?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I was thinking about a set of Apex springs..... Wilson is preferred?
    I haven't tried the Apex springs, but their extended firing pin is shorter than the C&S and didn't fix one of my guns, so I have quit ordering from them.

I'm pretty sure the Wilson kit is just repackaged Wolff springs, but they are still inexpensive and I've been very pleased with the 8-10 sets I've installed.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I haven't tried the Apex springs, but their extended firing pin is shorter than the C&S and didn't fix one of my guns, so I have quit ordering from them.

I'm pretty sure the Wilson kit is just repackaged Wolff springs, but they are still inexpensive and I've been very pleased with the 8-10 sets I've installed.

I put some Apex springs in a 686 that worked well.

My new C&S extended firing pin now back ordered from Brownell's. Along with a Wilson spring kit. Thanks for the tips!
    drmordo and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    A warm welcome to "the Club."

The .41 Magnum really is an outstanding cartridge. I started out wanting one as a kid, but went down the .44 Magnum trail, only picking up my first .41 Magnum nine years ago. The .44 Magnum has been good to me for decades, but I'd have never bothered with it if I'd gotten that .41 Magnum first.
    A coworker in AK had the .44 Blackhawk, and I used my .41 BH as a comparison of the two calibers. While the .44 Mag certainly could be more potent (but not by much in our unscientific comparisons), the .41 always seemed more controllable when shooting more than one shot in any measure of rapid fire. Even my coworker wanted to shoot my .41 Mag given the opportunity. Honestly, I feel I shot that 6.5" .41 Magnum Blackhawk better than any other handgun I've owned.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A coworker in AK had the .44 Blackhawk, and I used my .41 BH as a comparison of the two calibers. While the .44 Mag certainly could be more potent (but not by much in our unscientific comparisons), the .41 always seemed more controllable when shooting more than one shot in any measure of rapid fire. Even my coworker wanted to shoot my .41 Mag given the opportunity. Honestly, I feel I shot that 6.5" .41 Magnum Blackhawk better than any other handgun I've owned.

I see cult members; they're everywhere.......

I was talking to yet another guy today, down at the gun shop. Even as I'm bringing the .41 in for some work, he's getting that dreamy, far-off look in his eyes as he started to talk about how much he loved the .41...... It's creepy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links