How many firearms malfunctions are there? - Page 2

How many firearms malfunctions are there?

This is a discussion on How many firearms malfunctions are there? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many firearms malfunctions are there? One, two, many, infinite....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: How many firearms malfunctions are there?

How many firearms malfunctions are there?

One, two, many, infinite.
    OD* likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Depends on how 'micro" you want to be in your terms definitions. FTF, FTEj, Dud, FTEx are the 4 Macro categories but each can have variations. Stovepipe for example is a form of Failure to Eject. Squib is technically a "Dud" but not a complete Dud. There are many others but the bottom line is that if you're into splitting hairs the list can grow rather long.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    While looking up the difference between hangfire and misfire today, I can across this website, which mentions "squb load." I never heard that one mentioned either in CATMS or any literature or among any of my friends who're shooters. If the website is correct, then most people wrongly many malfunctions to the terms "misfire" or "hangfire," even when the malfunction has nothing to do with the proper operation of the cartridge itself.

For example, I've experienced misfeeds having to do with the ramp being a little too steep and the lip of the hollowpoint being a little too sharp. But it's not a hang fire, much less a misfire or squib load.

What other malfunctions have you experienced? Proper names for them, if you would, please.
    Defintion of a squib load, from Range365.com
    A squib happens when a cartridge doesn't have a sufficient propellant load to push the bullet out of the barrel. This can also occur if the propellant doesn't fully ignite. The bullet then becomes lodged in the chamber or barrel.
    I was not sure if a squib load was defined and understood; so that is a fine definition of one. If you hear a pop instead of a boom, you may have a squib, and the bullet may be jammed into the barrel. So on the next trigger pull, you will fire a bullet into the jammed bullet, in the barrel.
    That can ruin the barrel. So, if you hear only the pop, and not boom, check your barrel. Run a cleaning rod through it, and if there is a bullet in there, you will know it.

https://www.range365.com/what-is-squib-load/
    Crabby Old Goat, that's me!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    Defintion of a squib load, from Range365.com

I was not sure if a squib load was defined and understood; so that is a fine definition of one. If you hear a pop instead of a boom, you may have a squib, and the bullet may be jammed into the barrel. So on the next trigger pull, you will fire a bullet into the jammed bullet, in the barrel.
    That can ruin the barrel. So, if you hear only the pop, and not boom, check your barrel. Run a cleaning rod through it, and if there is a bullet in there, you will know it.

https://www.range365.com/what-is-squib-load/
    Here's a question: In semi-autos, does a squib load with a bullet stuck in the barrel even impart enough energy to cycle the action? Yes, no? Never? Maybe? Always?
    Rabbit212 and MisterMills357 like this.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    This might be more interesting if the list included what was done to overcome the failure. I have had the failure to load properly for two reasons. One was from too heavy of a recoil spring and that caused the cartridge to be trapped half way out while being extracted and then the next round couldn't load. The other cause was that the feed ramp needed polishing and then polished again until it had a glass shine. My only problem with extraction aside from too heavy of a recoil spring came from the tip of the extractor having a chip break off right where it is supposed to catch the cartridge. I have a couple of other guns that I don't carry every day that I need to look at and figure out why they don't perform reliably all the time. I always want to shoot the guns that perform the best and forget about the ones that have problems.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Here's a question: In semi-autos, does a squib load with a bullet stuck in the barrel even impart enough energy to cycle the action? Yes, no? Never? Maybe? Always?
    You answered your own question. Depends on the squib as not all squibs are equal to every other squib. Yes it can. No some dont.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    The BoB , in my not so expertise opinion is the most common one associated with timing issues. If itís a recoil spring that is borderline oversprung, anything less than a stellar grip can cause it to manifest.

I found this out very early on with my LW Commander and that new double recoil spring they now use. I would occasionally get a BoB using good Wilson mags early in my ownership.
    I attributed this to the recoil spring, and made a conscious effort to tighten up on the grip ( Iím a very relaxed shooter), and after I did that, the problem stopped.

Now, several hundred rounds later, the issue is completely resolved and it runs smooth as a sewing machine.

Unless it is a extractor issue, or something really out of whack like a bad feed ramp angle, I think spring timing is the culprit just about every time.
    Mag springs included.

The BoB issue with regards to the newer super duper slickery slick lubes was pointed out to me by a custom 1911 smith. Overlubing could also cause this problem, he said.
    G-man* and OD* like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    (Post deleted by poster: Not really relevant.)
    Neither is the poster. (Sorry, that was just too irresistible to pass up! I'll make it up with a Christmas card.)

My firearm "malfunctions" are so few and far between I don't give it a second thought. The only persistent malfunctions I've experienced were with my Glock 30 (Yikes!) when trying to hand load 200-grain SWCs that just would not work and the recent experience with my AR-6mm Mongoose that turned out to be an incompatible upper and lower. Different lower resolved its problems.

I have more vehicle malfunctions than I do gun malfunctions, and like my guns, I just get it fixed and carry on. I think some get too wrapped around the axle about gun problems. Everything breaks, most things are easily fixed, and only true lemons should be a concern.
    G-man* and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Mag springs included.
    That is the most frequent cause for bolt over base in my experience.
    deadguy likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

All firearms have the same cycle of operation, any interruption of that cycle can cause a malfunction. Feed, fire, extract, eject. There are multiple causes for malfunctions but they all fall into those four categories.
    OD* likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

It sounds unlikely, since the powder charge does not have enough oomph to get the bullet out of the barrel.
    since9 likes this.
    Crabby Old Goat, that's me!

In a class today with instructor, 7 darned good shooters and me. All but one are shooting 9mm, the other is a 45. Mine is vintage and I think all the rest may be less than a year old. Weíre all shooting same mfr semiautomatic handguns (it doesnít matter what brand, this isnít about Glock Perfection ;-) Weíre all shooting at same cadence, sometimes slow and sometimes fast. Today we collectively shot close to 3,200 rounds without a single handgun failure. No failure by eject or stovepipe, failure to feed, or double feed. Sort of supports G26 Ravenís angst over a new and expensive handgun miserably failing his expectations.

When I shoot matches a lot of folks shoot reloads. Do we have more failures? You bet! Hard to tell right away whether itís the machine or the ammo, but Iíd be willing to bet reloads are involved. We often have 25 to 35 shooters each throwing 110 rounds down range, so the round count isnít much different from todayís class where 8 of us each shot 400 rounds. But the match activity is admittedly very different because in the matches weíre likely to shoot sometimes without a good a stance or good arm position.

FWIW, The Class requires factory new ammo, and the range requires brass casings and jacketed bullets.
    Last edited by SAXDM9; October 9th, 2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add round count for matches
    Bad Bob likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links