Any good reason not to buy a gun online? - Page 2

Any good reason not to buy a gun online?

This is a discussion on Any good reason not to buy a gun online? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive purchased several on line, different sources, all worked fine, until my local FFL bumped his FFL fee from $15 to $30 overnight, so I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Any good reason not to buy a gun online?

Ive purchased several on line, different sources, all worked fine, until my local FFL bumped his FFL fee from $15 to $30 overnight, so I went back to a local pawn shop that did my first ever FFL transfer 10 years ago at $10 .... heís still at $10 to this day.

Main suggestion is secure your local FFL first & know their charges. Most pawn shops around here are FFLís & donít get twisted over you buying on-line & using their service, like a conventional LGS might, since most deal in used firearms only,

IF you can find free shipping & a $10 FFL, then your good deal is still a good deal. If you get slammed with $25 s/h & $30 FFL, then your good deal Just went out the window.

Keep us posted how your deal went ....
    Old Man likes this.
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

Distinguished Member
    Lots of good advice. Last weapon I purchased was an O&U 12ga for my daughter for her Skeet & Trap team. I found what I wanted online, took the price to my Local Gun Shop, and they matched it for me. We all won. I walked out with the weapon, they made a sale, and I didn't pay too much. BTW, NONE of my LGS's charge a transfer fee for a weapon I purchased from them. Must be something that those behind enemy lines have to put up with because those of us in Free States don't pay for paperwork from the LGS. Heck, my go-to Pawn Shop for online weapons purchases charges me a total (out the door) of $0 for the transfer.
    Old Man likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Any good reason not to buy a gun online?
    Over the years I've made probably a dozen online firearm purchases for Gunbroker and Bud's.

All went seamlessly.

There's no reason not to.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Buy the gun from your LGS. Support him or he may not be around in the future to help you. I have bought guns from 3 LGSís and they did not charge extra for the background check. Also if you buy locally if there is an issue with the gun it is much easier if itís the LGS instead of an internet dealer.
    Last edited by BillG174; October 4th, 2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

In any case, forty dollars seems high for a transfer. Here near Cincinnati the going rate is twenty-five, and I know one place that does it for fifteen.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

You can buy the parts on-line and make your own

Some gun parts you can print and make at home with a special printer, special is good, Iím special
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Always ask the ffl first as most are not happy with online sales esp on a gun they are selling .

I feel my ffl never minded as 99% of stuff I was into was rare or not made /imported anymore so not something he could call up and get ..

But if it something commen I would maybe ask first or find a dealer who you dont use a lot to do it ..

Also dont forgot the dealer might have to send over his FFL to the seller if not on file or the like ..So that can add time and effort
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I can only think of a couple of reason to buy locally rather on-line...

1. You can not look at the "fit and finish" of the particular one that you are getting.
    2. You are able to get a better price locally (not the case here).
    3. You have a local shop that you use regularly and the relationship you have built up over time is more important to you that the savings you would get by purchasing on-line.

In most cases I find that is is less expensive to buy on0line, but I also like to see what I am getting before I actually pay for it.

I typically buy online. It's a vicious cycle.

You buy online to save money since the brick and mortar stores can't compete with online pricing which is one less sale for the local store. Less sales is less volume meaning less discounts so your price is higher as a result.

It really sucks however I'm a consumer first and foremost. I'm not just going to pay more, sometimes a significant markup, just for the sake of keeping it local. If there were even some type of flexibility, I would love to support the local mom and pop, but I've yet to get anyone to budge when I show them an online price.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    I can only think of a couple of reason to buy locally rather on-line...

1. You can not look at the "fit and finish" of the particular one that you are getting.
    2. You are able to get a better price locally (not the case here).
    3. You have a local shop that you use regularly and the relationship you have built up over time is more important to you that the savings you would get by purchasing on-line.

In most cases I find that is is less expensive to buy on0line, but I also like to see what I am getting before I actually pay for it.
    You can refuse any gun you purchase online at the FFL. I received a Gen 4 Glock a while back that had some splotching spots on the slide finish when inspecting. I refused the shipment.

Said online gun store paid for shipping back on the bad one and overnighted a new one.

I've purchased enough from one particular website that I've emailed asking if there was any wiggle room on a price and the vendor made an exception for me and knocked another 12.5% off the listed price.

You can build a relationship with some online vendors too.

VIP Member
    I've purchased 13 guns (11 new, 2 used) through Gun Broker with zero issues. I have a local FFL that only charges $10 for the transfer and $10 for the NICS check. None of the on line purchases have resulted in sales taxes (TN = 9.25%). I have also bought through local gun forums as person to person sales, and these have also had zero issues. At least with a person to person sale you can examine the gun before purchasing and either choose to go through with the purchase or not.

I no longer have what I would consider "my local gun store". Most sales locally seem to be big box stores. Those small LGSs that are nearby seem to be charging close to MSRP for guns. So I continue to buy on line. The big box stores seem to do quite well with sales to people who are clueless there are alternatives.
    Rooster and Old Man like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Wow, lot's of responses in short order. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post

Main suggestion is secure your local FFL first & know their charges.

I made sure I did that before I placed my order. He said he charges $10 if the gun is bought from him, and $40 if it's bought elsewhere.

IF you can find free shipping & a $10 FFL, then your good deal is still a good deal. If you get slammed with $25 s/h & $30 FFL, then your good deal Just went out the window.

My shipping was $17 and the FEL is $30 more, but since the starting price online was $125 less it's still a good deal.

Keep us posted how your deal went ....

I will do that. I should know soon as UPS tracking says it will be delivered Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Over the years I've made probably a dozen online firearm purchases for Gunbroker and Bud's.

All went seamlessly.

There's no reason not to.
    That's reassuring to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    In any case, forty dollars seems high for a transfer. Here near Cincinnati the going rate is twenty-five, and I know one place that does it for fifteen.
    I'm sure it probably varies greatly depending where you live. I think the price is fair since it's still saving my $78 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Always ask the ffl first as most are not happy with online sales esp on a gun they are selling .

When I asked him about my buying the gun online and having him do the paperwork he didn't act like it was any problem, or that he resented it.

Also dont forgot the dealer might have to send over his FFL to the seller if not on file or the like ..So that can add time and effort

Funny you should mention that. When I told him the vendor wanted him to send them his FFL he sighed and said he deals with this company a lot and every time they ask for his license instead of simply keeping it on file.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post

It really sucks however I'm a consumer first and foremost. I'm not just going to pay more, sometimes a significant markup, just for the sake of keeping it local. If there were even some type of flexibility, I would love to support the local mom and pop, but I've yet to get anyone to budge when I show them an online price.
    That's the way I see it too. If it were a matter of $20 or so I'd stay with the local guy, but $78 is too much to throw away. To be honest I didn't even ask about price matching as the difference was so great.
    Rooster likes this.

Have you checked with pawn shops?

I just bought an AR lower and had it sent to a pawn shop for the FFL. $15 plus tax, where the other pawn shops and LGS's charge anywhere from $25 to $40 for a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    Buy the gun from your LGS. Support him or he may not be around in the future to help you. I have bought guns from 3 LGSís and they did not charge extra for the background check. Also if you buy locally if there is an issue with the gun it is much easier if itís the LGS instead of an internet dealer.
    I buy on-line and ship it to my LGS. He charges the mark up he receives as if he ordered it. He can't match the prices of the big sellers. We both win. He's happy. i'm happy.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    When I lived in a city that had a few gun stores competing for business I would buy locally. Now there is one 37 Miles away and charges way too much. But there is an FFL 60 miles away that charges 25 for the first gun and 10 bucks for each additional gun in the same transaction.

So I will normally order a gun and a few recievers at the same time. I figure the "local" pawn shop is getting their cut and the owner is pretty nice.

He still asks me every time I come in how my 358 Norma Magnum is doing. That was the first transaction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links