Any good reason not to buy a gun online? - Page 3

Any good reason not to buy a gun online?

This is a discussion on Any good reason not to buy a gun online? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I enjoy having a LGS also, but...I just put together a complete AR for $350 from an on-line vendor. I couldn't have bought the cheapest ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Any good reason not to buy a gun online?

I enjoy having a LGS also, but...I just put together a complete AR for $350 from an on-line vendor. I couldn't have bought the cheapest assembled lower for that price anywhere in town.

Some time back I purchased a Sub-2000 from the same on-line vendor. In this case I asked (phoned) all the LGS's around town and nobody could find one in 40 S&W. The on-line store had more than 10 of them in house.

I live in a metro area with 2.5 million residents.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I enjoy having a LGS also, but...I just put together a complete AR for $350 from an on-line vendor. I couldn't have bought the cheapest assembled lower for that price anywhere in town.

Some time back I purchased a Sub-2000 from the same on-line vendor. In this case I asked (phoned) all the LGS's around town and nobody could find one in 40 S&W. The on-line store had more than 10 of them in house.

I live in a metro area with 2.5 million residents.
    I, too, always check locally first. My purchases over the past few years have been about 50/50 online/LGS. One LGS copped an attitude about my online purchase, so I found my new LGS that has $0 transfers, will discuss pricing and negotiate within their limits, and when I get a STEAL they compliment me on my purchase while doing the paperwork for free. I drive past 3 other places to buy gear from them when they are even close to the online price. They have built a reputation for being OUTSTANDING in every way and they are always slammed with customers, and my old LGS is like a ghost town many days. I wonder why?
    TimBob and OldChap like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I am for supporting your local range and mom and pop gun stores. Don't mind paying a little more for a supporting local range. One local range seems to encourage you to buy online. They offer transfer discounts if you have a membership. Another local range, well, don't mention online stores around them unless you want to get an ear full.
    PPS1980 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I've bought a handful of guns online over the years, usually no problem. Don't assume your local FFL wants to do it, but also don't assume they won't want to or that they're losing money. That FFL fee they charge usually cover any imagined 'loss' by not buying from them. I've used the same pawn shop for transfers, they charge $30 for the service. I've talked with the owner and he said that's $10 for the background and the extra $20 covers what his average markup on a new gun is, so it's all the same to him.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I have to say I've been burned three times with used revolvers that had timing issues.

One was absolute junk and I sent it back. The other two were a good enough deal on a cool enough gun that I'm hanging onto them until I find a local smith worth a damn.

That said, the majority have been beautiful guns that worked great.

As far buying as new guns, I have had no problems at all.

I've had good luck purchasing firearms online. Used to be a sales tax advantage too, but that recently went away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and couldn't find a thread related to the topic.

In the interest of brevity here are the quick details. I was looking for a certain gun and found it online for $250 + $17 shipping. The local gun store charges $40 to do the backround check and paperwork for guns not purchased there so my total out of pocket price would be $307.

I checked 4 local gun shops and the best price for that gun was $375 + $10 for backround check and paperwork for a total of $385.

I thought maybe a chain would have a better price but the local Dunham's price was even higher.

Is there any reason why I should fork out $78 more to buy local? I can't think of one, but the last time I bought a gun there was no such thing as the internet (40+ years ago).
    None that I know of. I've bought a fair number of rightly-priced guns online, never with a problem.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I havenít bought a gun in a store in years. Everything I buy is from online. Not worth the 10-30% premium at local stores. While I like to support local businesses, I value my hard earned money and the price premium is too high. My FFL charges $10 and what I spend on shipping never comes close to the 8.25% Texas sales tax. I just donít buy from Texas based websites.
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I havenít bought a gun in a store in years. Everything I buy is from online. Not worth the 10-30% premium at local stores. While I like to support local businesses, I value my hard earned money and the price premium is too high. My FFL charges $10 and what I spend on shipping never comes close to the 8.25% Texas sales tax. I just donít buy from Texas based websites.
    That sales tax dodge all by itself is going to be the death of brick and mortar retail.
    StripesDude likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Yes there is. I bought an new Daniel Defense ar15 online thru gun broker. The gun looked mint in the photos. When I received the gun the fit between the upper and lower was sloppy. I called DD and they said it should have never left the factory like that, so I had to send in a brand new gun for fitting. Long story short always check gun over before buying.
    One more step and it's on!

Higher defect rate.

In general, anything that wouldn't pass a visual inspection are kept off the shelves of walk-in stores. They're often, however, sold online.

In the store, you can inspect a firearm with a fine-tooth comb and simply hand it back if there's anything not to your liking.

Used to be you'd get some good deals buying stuff online, but these days, they're often just as expensive as they are in stores.
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect everything else.

Here's a little update. I picked up my M&P22c that I bought online yesterday. The dealer who did my transfer sure didn't seem the least bit upset that I didn't buy the gun from him as he was getting $40 for about 5 minutes work. I don't think his time spent vs profit margin could possibly be any better selling guns. I know there are some FFL holders in my area who might do the paperwork for less but he treated me well and I don't think his price was out of hand so I'll use him again in the future.

I'm planning on buying a Shield9 next so I asked him what his price was on that weapon and he said he only has the 2.0 version and it's $399. He said that once a new version comes out no one wants the old ones, even though in this case the differences are pretty small. I can buy the old version for $249 online plus $17 shipping so the choice is pretty clear to me.

What I didn't check into yet but plan to is the price of ammo online vs in store. I figure the shipping on ammo is about $3/box in smaller quantities so if the in store price isn't much more than $3 higher than online I'll buy in store, otherwise online makes more sense. I did notice that the online stores tend to offer free shipping on purchases of 1,000 rounds or more.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Higher defect rate.

In general, anything that wouldn't pass a visual inspection are kept off the shelves of walk-in stores. They're often, however, sold online.

In the store, you can inspect a firearm with a fine-tooth comb and simply hand it back if there's anything not to your liking.
    BullStuff!!

Where's your proof for that? 100% nonsense.

Have you even ever bought a gun online? When you order one online, you can inspect it with a finetooth comb when you pick it up from the FFL and either accept it or refuse it, in which case it gets sent back to the online store you purchased it from. Just because you ordered it online doesn't mean you're legally obligated to accept it. Some people may choose to, but that's on them, not the seller.

Does it actually make sense to you that an online retailer of ANYTHING is going to go through all of their stock and look for the worst version of an item to send to a home customer? Do you really think any business that does that as a matter of course is going to be in business long? What motivation would a retailer have to do that when they are able to send any 'issue' guns back to the distributor? You're doing nothing but spreading your own fears here as fact.
    Rockymonster likes this.

An update to my update. As previously mentioned the gun I wanted was $249 + $17 shipping online and nobody local was within $100 of that price. I was just about ready to order it online when my son sent me a text that his coworker had shown him a flyer from Grice gun shop in Clearfield that listed the gun at $279. Since Clearfield is only about an hour from me I called and made sure they had it in stock then drove up and bought one.

I bought the M&P Shield in 9mm. It's the old version not the 2.0 and the clerk who did my paperwork confirmed that since the 2.0 came out the old version isn't moving, hence the lowered price. From everything I've read the improvements on the 2.0 are pretty minor so I felt good about buying the old one at a good price. A bonus was that they only charged $5 for the transfer fee.

I bought some ammo at the same time as it was only $1/box more than I can get it online, but the online shipping is $3/box so it was actually $2 cheaper in store. I don't think I can buy the ammo local for the Grice price though so I'll probably continue to buy it online as it won't be enough difference in price to make the 2 hour round trip to Clearfield worthwhile.

I'm hoping to get some range time maybe as soon as later today, so I can try out both my new guns.

Great! Let us know how it performed!
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect everything else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links