Any good reason not to buy a gun online?

This is a discussion on Any good reason not to buy a gun online? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and couldn't find a thread related to the topic. In the interest of ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Any good reason not to buy a gun online?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and couldn't find a thread related to the topic.

In the interest of brevity here are the quick details. I was looking for a certain gun and found it online for $250 + $17 shipping. The local gun store charges $40 to do the backround check and paperwork for guns not purchased there so my total out of pocket price would be $307.

I checked 4 local gun shops and the best price for that gun was $375 + $10 for backround check and paperwork for a total of $385.

I thought maybe a chain would have a better price but the local Dunham's price was even higher.

Is there any reason why I should fork out $78 more to buy local? I can't think of one, but the last time I bought a gun there was no such thing as the internet (40+ years ago).

I've bought a few from Gallery of Guns and the transactions were flawless.

You select the make and model of gun, then click to get a quote. Several dealers in your area will appear with their price. Click "Accept Offer" from the dealer of your choice, then make your down payment which includes background check, shipping, etc.... Once the gun arrives, that dealer will call you. You go there, pay the remaining balance, and take the new baby home.

I highly recommend it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

flh
    I've purchased guns on line , never had a problem , my local GS will now do his very best price matching
    OldChap, hogdaddy and gasmitty like this.

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Just be sure to talk to your LGS before you ask them to do a transfer. A few shops resent the online sellers and won't do the transaction. But for that much of a price difference, I would go for it. My favorite gun shop, that knows me well, knows what the online prices are and will usually get really close to the online price (which will add shipping and then the transfer fee for the LGS.) For $20 more or so, I will support my local gun shop, plus they will work with me, if there is something wrong with the firearm.
    OldChap, sdprof, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

If you buy used guns online, it is caveat emptor. If you buy new guns online and there is an issue, you deal with the manufacturer directly. The LGS I deal with gives larger discounts to customers who have developed a good relationship with them. They either fix the gun or ship it to the manufacturer at no cost. They know what I like and call me when a gun comes in that I might want. Many guns never make it to the display rack or case.
    OldChap, Sister, ETXhiker and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I have bought online and it's been OK. Whether the downsides outweigh the upsides depend on the online store, the LGS and your preferences. Here's my view of the possible pros and cons of ordering online. Some of these may or may not apply in different states and at different LGSs. Also, this is just my view. Some of these factors may make no difference to you.

Pros:
    • You get exactly what you want, not just what the LGS has in stock.
    • The prices tend to be better, before the fees.
    • You may or may not avoid sales and use taxes, depending on the FFL and the state law.
    • Some online stores have "affiliate LGSs" that they can ship the gun to and some of the fees are lessened.

Cons:
    • You don't get to handle the gun you're buying before you buy.
    • Depending on the LGS, buying out of stock may get you some service after the sale, but an online transfer definitely will not.
    • You might be able to haggle with an LGS and get them closer to the online price.
    • LGSs can handle trades.
    • I have heard of, but not experienced, some online stores and FFLs messing up paperwork. My feeling that is less likely to happen at an LGS.
    • If you buy online, you have to wait. I like making a decision and then walking out of the store with it pretty quickly after.
    OldChap, Sister, Hoganbeg and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Tell them you want to use the “gun show loophole” so you don’t have to pay for the background check!

But in all seriousness, i think I’ve only ordered one gun online and it wasn’t a problem.
    OldChap and hogdaddy like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I've purchased guns on line , never had a problem , my local GS will now do his very best price matching
    its funny how that works out. I don't dislike local shops /brick and mortars but they have to be competitive. I'm sure it sucks compared to teh days when people would walk into a gun shop and be forced to buy there (which a lot of older folks still do) but its supply and demand.

The issue I've ran into is where they get $25 per FFL transfer so some of these lower receiver deals that come across at ~35-40 dollars, by the time you add shipping and $25 for the transfer you don't really have a deal compared to buying a $50 lower locally. However I'm sure that its more common to find deals for whole firearms - and i'm sure it will keep your local guy in check. It might be worth asking the shop that you plan on doing the transfer at if they would price match or something, at least to give them the option.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If you buy used guns online, it is caveat emptor. If you buy new guns online and there is an issue, you deal with the manufacturer directly. The LGS I deal with gives larger discounts to customers who have developed a good relationship with them. They either fix the gun or ship it to the manufacturer at no cost. They know what I like and call me when a gun comes in that I might want. Many guns never make it to the display rack or case.
    It is always nice to have a local drug....err...ugh....GUN dealer on the street corner!

BTW...I am not sure it is legal to do a 4473 on line. Anyone have direct knowledge of that? That looks like it would be a really risky task to make sure you are dealing with who they claim to be.

I buy online from time to time. I've never seen anyone who offered to do a background check over the internet. But I've always had excellent results buying, shipping to the FFL, do the 4473, and go at my local dealer.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Ex Member
    Not a problem if you buy from a reputable dealer. I suggest you do a Internet search for FFLs in your area. It could save you money. My LGS charges $50 for a BC on a gun that was purchases elsewhere. It charges $35 for a transfer between individuals. I found an FFL (not a store) tw miles from my house who does any transfer for $25. I just searches for "FFL in my area". I got a list of seven who were independent FFLs.

I have bought and sold a lot on line and in person. If you buy in person at a LGS and there's a problem The LGS has always been helpful in fixing it. They have fixed guns , sent them back, or replaced them, and dealt with the manufacture on there own.
    If you buy online you may get a better price, But no one is going to help you if there is a problem! That is not always as bad as it sounds. You just have to get used to working with the manufacture. And like anything else there are some tricks to getting your problems fixed.

I have only had to send a couple of guns back, so its not a big issue. But it does happen, and if it were my money I'd want it fixed now.

My next question to my LGS is for the $40 are you going to stand behind this like I bought it out of your stock? If not what are you getting? DR

I buy mostly every gun online. Usually, I go to gun.deals and search for the product I’m looking for. It searches the internet and spits back the place where it is cheapest.

Several of my LGSs charge one rate for transfers. A few others charge different rates based on buying elsewhere or online. Guess which ones I do not use... Shop around on that aspect. Prices vary greatly. It cost no more for the store for an in-store purchase than an out-of-store transfer. They're gouging.

Most of my gun purchases since 2009 when I got back into guns have been online. Nary an issue at all. The biggest risk is buying sight unseen, which applies to anything bought online.
    OldChap, hogdaddy and Old Man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I use to prefer gun shows but now most of their prices are way to high. Only had a problem with Buds guns on-line, no problem with others. Not picking on them, it’s just that they were the ONLY one that I had problems with ~ They come across to me like they think they are gun gods above others, JMHO.

Another thought, if you can purchase a gun from a relative or friend, or possibly make your own then you will have “ghosts guns”. Not legal in all states and is in others. No way for an internet purchase to ever be a ghosts gun.
    OldChap and hogdaddy like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

The only reasons to not buy on line are 1) It's nice to have a LGS and without our business they won't be there 2) check out the on-line shop to be sure they are real (are fake sites out there) and don't have a history of stiffing customers 3) sales tax is a state by state thing you may be able to not pay it on-line. I've done several and never had any problems.
    Last in my neck of the woods FFL's charge $20 to complete the transfer, except the LGS won't tell me what they charge and won't give me a copy of their FFL they insist on doing it. Which leads me to believe they will charge a lot more.
    So for me I've bought a few from the LGS, and a few from on-line when the price is too good to pass or can't be found by the LGS. I.E. was looking for a VR80 and the LGS didn't have any and wasn't helpful as I gave him what I wanted and asked him to find it. He didn't do anything so I found one on-line, quickly at a good price and went to another FFL for the transfer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links