Please school me on 10mm...... - Page 2

Please school me on 10mm......

This is a discussion on Please school me on 10mm...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .45acp will do anything that 10mm will do...just never found a reason to own a 10. If Glock had not resurrected it...it would have been ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Please school me on 10mm......

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    .45acp will do anything that 10mm will do...just never found a reason to own a 10. If Glock had not resurrected it...it would have been gone years and years ago. The ONLY reason it is still around is because of Glock.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Here is a live action video of 10mm taking down a moose. https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA3NDg...-on-snowmobile
    That video still pisses me off. So unnecessary.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    .45acp will do anything that 10mm will do...just never found a reason to own a 10. If Glock had not resurrected it...it would have been gone years and years ago. The ONLY reason it is still around is because of Glock.
    Im really curious to know how you came to this conclusion.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have two Colt Delta Elites, a Ruger Match Champion GP100 revolver, an S&W 1006, and a Springfield TRP Operator 1911 in 10mm. I carry Winchester Silvertip 175 grain in the Colts. The others get Buffalo Bore or Underwood 180 grain JHP.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I found this blurb: "...led to the creation of and following replacement by a shorter version of the 10mm that exists today as the .40 S&W..."

My brother has a 10 mm. I like it! It fires very much like my 9 mm, but with an extra helping of spank.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Yeah, I am curious as well. Ballistically, the 10mm has more energy.....and has a flatter trajectory.

Underwood 220grn hardcast 10mm........700 ft lbs
    Underwood 255grn hardcast 45ACP +P....484 ft lbs

Dunno about the Glock comment......
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Just a matter using the right bullet and load.

I have shot enough critters with 255gr cast bullets to know that a 10mm will not out perform them. A 255gr flat point cast bullet at 900fps from a .45acp will kill anything with at least equal efficiency of a 10mm.

I did misspeak...the trajectory of the .45acp is not the equal of the 10mm, but I was not really speaking to long range accuracy with my comment...but the killing power is...and you can believe that or not...entirely up to you.

If you think that the 10mm is superior...go forth in that belief.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Yeah, I am curious as well. Ballistically, the 10mm has more energy.....and has a flatter trajectory.

Underwood 220grn hardcast 10mm........700 ft lbs
    Underwood 255grn hardcast 45ACP +P....484 ft lbs

Dunno about the Glock comment......
    Just a matter using the right bullet and load.

I have shot enough critters with 255gr cast bullets to know that a 10mm will not out perform them. A 255gr flat point cast bullet at 900fps from a .45acp will kill anything with at least equal efficiency of a 10mm.

I did misspeak...the trajectory of the .45acp is not the equal of the 10mm, but I was not really speaking to long range accuracy with my comment...but the killing power is...and you can believe that or not...entirely up to you.

If you think that the 10mm is superior...go forth in that belief.

As to the Glock comment...When Glock started chambering the 10mm it was for all intents and purposes, dead. Very few offerings were available chambered in it. Now, when you have, arguably, the largest handgun manufacturer in the world start chambering a relatively obscure round...it gives the round attention that it has not had in years and also exposes it to new shooters that were not even around when it was introduced. And, they probably only did it because of their history with the .40 and already being setup to produce it with minimal additional expense.

Get a Glock 20 and 15 + 1 of this could be yours:
    Bad Bob, OldChap and Rockymonster like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I'm not certain why you would think this. The guy did more than I would have before shooting the moose. Very necessary, and extremely justified. The moose decided that mock charging was not enough, and died as a result.

It showed how well the 10mm round could handle the critter. That wasn't even a big moose. It was a yearling.

Moose are big and ornery. I thank god to this day when I came across a big mama moose with calf at the edge of the swamp all she did was mock charge me. I damn near crapped my pants. We don't have many moose in Wisconsin, but there are some that come and go into the Empire Swamp which covers a large part of northern Wisconsin. Which I learned of firsthand.

As far as 10mm or .357 goes. Well, they are ballistically similar, and can do the same job. For woods carry, a revolver is all you really need. The odds of you getting even 1-2 shots off is slim at best. Things happen fast, and dangerous critters are amazingly silent when they need to be. If you have a .357 revolver, you don't need a 10mm handgun. If you have neither, get whatever makes you happier. Both will shoot most critters in the lower 48 dead with no problems.

I recently got my first 10 mm. Honestly, 45 and 10 are so close in performance it wasn't a caliber choice but rather a platform choice. Springfield offered the 10 mm in a full sized XDm OSP package, and it seemed ideal for my woods needs.

Around here we have black bears; neighbor just had one peeking in their sliding glass door a week ago. When I hunt here in the neighborhood (urban archery) I may cross paths with bears, coyotes, and angry raccoons. I may also run into methheads or gangs cooking poison in our suburban woods.

So a 15 round gun, plus 2 mags to balance it, in a new Nelson shoulder holster covers all those bases well.

Plus it's a fun gun to shoot.
    100 yards:
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

He provoked the moose. He is an idiot. If he had stayed put the moose would not have attacked and would eventually gone it’s own way.
    But no, he had to advance on the moose. There was a thread on this a few years ago. I think he was charged for this stupidity.
    The piece of garbage didn’t even finish it off.
    This person is a disgrace to all gun owners, snowmobilers and any one that walks on two legs.

There is a healthy moose population in Wisconsin, not like Alaska, but they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I'm not certain why you would think this. The guy did more than I would have before shooting the moose. Very necessary, and extremely justified. The moose decided that mock charging was not enough, and died as a result.

It showed how well the 10mm round could handle the critter. That wasn't even a big moose. It was a yearling.

Moose are big and ornery. I thank god to this day when I came across a big mama moose with calf at the edge of the swamp all she did was mock charge me. I damn near crapped my pants. We don't have many moose in Wisconsin, but there are some that come and go into the Empire Swamp which covers a large part of northern Wisconsin. Which I learned of firsthand.

As far as 10mm or .357 goes. Well, they are ballistically similar, and can do the same job. For woods carry, a revolver is all you really need. The odds of you getting even 1-2 shots off is slim at best. Things happen fast, and dangerous critters are amazingly silent when they need to be. If you have a .357 revolver, you don't need a 10mm handgun. If you have neither, get whatever makes you happier. Both will shoot most critters in the lower 48 dead with no problems.
    A totally unnecessary Moose kill because that moron wanted to flex is fear with his stupid Glock. Typical of idiots from the city who pretend they are woods people by blasting around on their asinine sleds.
    I will tell you this, I have spent my entire working life in the woods and Moose use sled and cross country ski trails to get around easier than trudging through deep snow. I have sat there sometimes for 20 minutes on a sled and waited for them to move on but, this fool was in a hurry an killed this animal for nothing more than bravado. He should have been arrested for poaching and wasting meat as well. If you have no idea about the natural world you don't belong in it at all.

Well said Forester, it makes me so mad I have a hard time typing.

The guy is really lucky I was not with him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Why, pure self defense.

How do you back up on a snowmobile and the the snow is that deep and when someone is behind you?
    The moose had already attacked him.
    One hit in the head from one of those moose hooves and your getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of your life.
    He fired a warning shot, and the moose appeared to keep coming.

Most self defense law states you have to be in fear of grave bodily harm or death, I would say a 1,000 pound charging animal that has already attacked me is a good argument for a self defense shooting.

Also, unless the man can see into the future he had no idea that moose was going to attack him.

Its easy to Monday morning quarter back everything but to me that looks like a classic case of self defense.
    SFury likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links