Please school me on 10mm...... - Page 6

Please school me on 10mm......

This is a discussion on Please school me on 10mm...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rockymonster I tried to rent the G20 at my favorite range last week but they were out of 10mm ammo....(have to use ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Please school me on 10mm......

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I tried to rent the G20 at my favorite range last week but they were out of 10mm ammo....(have to use “their” ammo on the rentals). I’m going to try again next week. I used to have several Glocks but sold them all and went with Springfield. I started with one and quickly determined that I shot the Springfield significantly better. I now own 3. So, I’ve been looking at the XDM in 10mm, and possibly the OSP model like Graydude has. I appreciate your input!

I was not aware you could shoot 40 S&W in the 10. Do you need different mags to do that?
    If you are going to shoot .40 through a 10mm gun, you should buy a conversion barrel. People will tell you that it’s fine, and that it’s like shooting .38 through a .357. Those people are wrong. While it technically will work, at least for a little while, I wouldn’t do it with my gun. Conversion barrels are cheap.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    If you are going to shoot .40 through a 10mm gun, you should buy a conversion barrel. People will tell you that it’s fine, and that it’s like shooting .38 through a .357. Those people are wrong. While it technically will work, at least for a little while, I wouldn’t do it with my gun. Conversion barrels are cheap.
    Because of the chamber length?
    Havok and graydude like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Yes. It does not sit properly in the chamber.
    graydude and Rockymonster like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    This is good advice.

.38 and 357 are rimmed cartridges, and space off the rim. So it’s perfectly safe to shoot .38 in a .357.

10 mm and .40 don’t space off the rim. For a .40 to fire in a 10 mm the extractor needs to hold the rim to keep the cartridge from sliding forward in the chamber. At the very least this increases wear on the extractor every time a .40 round is chambered in a 10 mm. If the extractor loses grip on a .40 when the striker hits the primer, the round could move slightly forward from the bolt face before the primer ignites the main charge, and this gap between the cartridge and bolt/slide face could create a kaboom. Yes, some people do it, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe.
    msgt/ret, Rockymonster and Havok like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Auto pistol cartridges headspace on the case mouth. Look in the chamber of your barrel and you will see a ring. This is what the mouth of the case butts up to.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

10mm in 220-230 grain hardcast is very good for bear defense, and Denmark's Sirius sled patrol issues the Glock g20 in 10mm for defense against polar bears. Alaska State Police, and their Wildlife Troopers, are issued 40cal Glocks with the option of 10mm Glocks. They discontinued issuing 357 magnums some time in the last 10-15 years.

Of the people who've used handguns to survive brown bear and polar bear attacks, ALL of them have kept firing until the bear ceased its attack- just like with defense against humans. Empty the cylinder or magazine if needed! Once a bear is on you, logic would say a handgun is much easier to wield than a long gun. I'm sure no bear attack survivors would ever say they wish they'd have had fewer rounds of capacity in their handgun.

220gr 10mm Sectional Density= .203
    230gr 10mm------------------> = .212

180gr 357mag (9.1mm)------>= .200
    190gr 357mag (9.1mm)------>= .211
    (I didn't list the SD of 200gr weight because the rounds won't fit the cylinder length of an S&W revolver)
    Last edited by Big Western; October 7th, 2019 at 11:13 PM.
    Havok and Rockymonster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    10mm in 220-230 grain hardcast is very good for bear defense, and Sweden's Sirius sled patrol issues the Glock g20 in 10mm for defense against polar bears. Alaska State Police, and their Wildlife Troopers, are issued 40cal Glocks with the option of 10mm Glocks. They discontinued issuing 357 magnums some time in the last 10-15 years.

Of the people who've used handguns to survive brown bear and polar bear attacks, ALL of them have kept firing until the bear ceased its attack- just like with defense against humans. Empty the cylinder or magazine if needed! Once a bear is on you, logic would say a handgun is much easier to wield than a long gun. I'm sure no bear attack survivors would ever say they wish they'd have had fewer rounds of capacity in their handgun.

220gr 10mm Sectional Density= .203
    230gr 10mm-------------------> = .212
    Not Swedish.

Danish Sirius patrols on Greenland.

And they’re a backup to their M1917 .30-06 rifles
    G-man* and Rockymonster like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

10mm is fun to shoot. Yes, it is a bit more expensive to shoot and when you use your G29 at an IDPA match people may give you funny looks. :)
    Rockymonster likes this.
    --Jason--

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links