Please school me on 10mm......

This is a discussion on Please school me on 10mm...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not looking for a 10mm carry gun per se, but I’m looking for a more powerful semi auto for something “different” to shoot and carry ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Please school me on 10mm......

VIP Member

Not looking for a 10mm carry gun per se, but I’m looking for a more powerful semi auto for something “different” to shoot and carry afield. Possible bear defense or hunting gun. I’ve watched YouTube videos, read info on the round and compared ballistics with various ammo including hardcast rounds etc. Doesn’t appear to be difficult to handle and compares well to 45ACP in that regard.

Apparently, Glocks should have a barrel replacement to handle hot rounds, while some other models have fully supported chambers. More expensive to shoot than other semi auto rounds and I do not hand load. Looking at 1911, and striker-fired guns.

Would appreciate any guidance from my DC friends! What do you like/dislike about the caliber and specific models? Favorite ammo?
    OldChap likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Do you have a 45acp? Have you looked at the 45 Super?
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Do you have a 45acp? Have you looked at the 45 Super?
    I have not......I’ll look into it.

Thoughts?
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

In the proper platform, .45 super stomps 10mm...

10mm is, basically, pretty much the same as .357 magnum in energy levels in comparable bullet weights; in fact, in lighter bullets and an apples to apples comparison (look at the same boutique loads—DT, BB, etc...) .357 will do slightly better. The one advantage that 10mm does have is easily available loads with 200gr or heavier bullets.

On the flip side, 10mm can be fun; you can get factory loads from mild to wild—from .40S&W numbers to approaching low-end .41 magnum. I wouldn’t worry about a different barrel in a Gen4 or 5 G20/40 unless you were gonna run a lot of unjacketed rounds through it.

Other options would be to look at a EAA Witness 10mm—very solid pistol.
    Rockymonster and johndp1911 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Here is a live action video of 10mm taking down a moose. https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA3NDg...-on-snowmobile
    graydude likes this.

Think of the 10mm as a .357 magnum in a semi-auto pistol. Their ballistics overlap. I have shot a Glock G20 10mm in one hand and a G21 .45 ACP in the other hand at the same time and it would be hard to tell the difference in recoil. The 10mm will have a little more momentum with larger bullets.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Bear defense, I prefer a revolver.
    Never shot a 10 & know nothing about them from first hand experience.
    Good luck & enjoy yours!!
    Rockymonster likes this.

Distinguished Member
    357Magnum and be done with it. More reliable weapon, easier to find ammo, more choices, lower cost, equal ballistics. If you want defense against bear then try 44Magnum.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    357Magnum and be done with it. More reliable weapon, easier to find ammo, more choices, lower cost, equal ballistics. If you want defense against bear then try 44Magnum.
    I will add also much deeper penetration with 357 than 10mm. Sectional density of 220 grain 10mm is .196 and a 200 grain 357 is .224.
    Energy numbers are important but, when it comes to stopping thick hide,muscle and bone penetration is what counts. Number of bullets is irrelevant for bear but, may matter on human threats. I like 10mm but, its no equal to 357 for bear defense.

44 magnum is great but, you have to get it to 300 grains to best the SD of 357 and its a lot harder to control,especially one handed. There is usually no time in a bear encounter to get a nice stance and two handed control. Most of the people attacked here don't even get a shot off with a rifle in their hands let alone a holstered sidearm or bear spray. That is why, at least for bear, capacity does not matter.
    G-man*, msgt/ret, MMinSC and 4 others like this.

I jumped on the bandwagon in the 80’s and had one of the first G20’s. I did a lot of work with it over the years and killed a lot of critters with it.

Double Tap Ammo was making full powered ammo for the 10mm when everyone else had pretty much dropped it. If it had not been for DT, I’m pretty sure it would have died out completely, so they deserve your 10mm ammo business, imo.

What I have found is that it’s a cartridge I can live without. If one has a good 45 Auto, hard cast lead bullets will give all the penetration one would need for all but the heaviest handgun duties, and the 45 Super can be readily assembled or purchased that provide even more power than the 10mm.

The 10mm is a flatter shooting cartridge, however, the vast majority of shooters are never going to be good enough in the field to take advantage of the trajectory at distance.

For my own purposes, I haven’t a need for anything beyond what I can accomplish with a good 230 weight XTP sitting over enough Unique to get it close to 1000 FPS, and there is something to be said for a heavy 45 cal at even 900 fps.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC, wmhawth and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

As an 80s kid, Miami Vice was my life at one point so it is surprising that I do not have a 10mm. I am invested in 45 though. Between 45 ACP, 45 +P, 45 Super, 45 Colt and 45 Colt Ruger Only, I pretty much have what I need. I wouldn't belittle the round nor would I ever rule out owning a gun in the caliber. Just can't find a need and I am really good at making up reasons to buy gun stuff.
    Rockymonster and Bad Bob like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I have two Glock 20's and two 460 Rowlands. I used to carry one or the other when I lived in bear territory. With the 10mm I was getting 180 XTPs going 1275-1300 fps. The 460 Rowland was a 230 gr bullet going about 1325. I did shoot 2 bears with the 460 and would have no problem trying out a 10mm on one.

I moved to the flat lands and carry a 40 S&W now.

I own a Stock 1 EAA Witness in 10mm...15 rds, ballistics that shows more energy at 100yds than a 45ACP at the muz...and with a 50yrd zero a 3 inch holdover for 100, 18 for 200yrds...I shoot at these ranges every time I shoot, cause I can...this pistol is very popular in the powder sports, it fits in the box...Tanfoglio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please school me on 10mm......-p1000482-800x600-.jpg  

Please school me on 10mm......-p1000483-800x600-.jpg  

Please school me on 10mm......-206.jpg  

If I were buying a 10mm it would be a glock 20 or 40.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=MMinSC;7796332]As an 80s kid, Miami Vice was my life at one point so it is surprising that I do not have a 10mm. I am invested in 45 though. Between 45 ACP, 45 +P, 45 Super, 45 Colt and 45 Colt Ruger Only, I pretty much have what I need. I wouldn't belittle the round nor would I ever rule out owning a gun in the caliber. Just can't find a need and I am really good at making up reasons to buy gun stuff.[/QUOTE]

Me too!
    MMinSC and bmcgilvray like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links