The lightest .357 magnum revolver in the world... - Page 2

The lightest .357 magnum revolver in the world...

This is a discussion on The lightest .357 magnum revolver in the world... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've considered buying this one a time or two but never pulled the trigger. I was dumb enough to shoot a 357 magnum with no ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: The lightest .357 magnum revolver in the world...

I've considered buying this one a time or two but never pulled the trigger.

I was dumb enough to shoot a 357 magnum with no ear protection once. Thankfully I was outdoors. The crazy thing is that I didn't even hear the bang. My ears just immediately started ringing and did so for several hours.
    Rock and Glock and ETXhiker like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I had one. They absolutely do not stand up to magnum shooting. Mine needed a new frame after an IDPA match, however, after 100 magnums in a morning my hands ached...
    How many rounds before it self-destructed?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I would carry it and not think twice about it. (Litterally, because
    It's so light).

Chances are, I would never have to use it, but I would take it to the range every once in a while and shoot a cylinder full. I'm somewhat of a recoil junkie Anyway. 😁

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've been considering getting a Smith and Wesson 360 personal defense. It comes in at 15 oz. It has the scandium frame but instead of the titanium cylinder it has an un fluted steel cylinder, that brings the weight up a few oz and bings the price down a bit.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...lat+dark+earth
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Well, you might find a lighter one, somewhere, but probably not big name.

what do you think? Pro's? Con's?
    I wouldn't give an 11.8 oz revolver any serious consideration for use with 357 Magnum loads.
    msgt/ret, SpringerXD and ETXhiker like this.

I have the S&W 340, but it doesn't have the Titanium cylinder, so mine weighs in at 13.2 oz. The stock rubber grips absorb a lot of the kick when you shoot with 357 magnum rounds. I have had a S&W Centennial with stock wood grips for over 20 years and shooting the Centennial with .38+P ammo feels the same as the 357 with the rubber grips.---Sturgis
    ETXhiker likes this.
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

My .357 LCR is about 5 ounces heavier, with a nice squishy grip, and I still find it punishing to shoot more than a cylinder or two of Magnums from it. It feels like I have to fight the gun to control it, which is not good. I consider it to be a strongly-built .38 that gives the option of using Magnums sometimes, and I'd probably say the same about a 340.
    Hoganbeg and ETXhiker like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    No thanks. I’m developing some “pain” on my right wrist/back of the hand I should probably get looked at so anything above 9mm is a no go for now.
    ShooterGranny and ETXhiker like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    My .357 LCR is about 5 ounces heavier, with a nice squishy grip, and I still find it punishing to shoot more than a cylinder or two of Magnums from it. It feels like I have to fight the gun to control it, which is not good. I consider it to be a strongly-built .38 that gives the option of using Magnums sometimes, and I'd probably say the same about a 340.
    The LCR will stand up to pretty good bit of magnum ammo shooting...they don't fall apart quickly. I am sure they will stand up to more than the Smith simply because they weigh about 1/3 more.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; October 6th, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

VIP Member

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...carry-gun-357/
    It would be a tough one to mount an RMR on one. That's an important consideration, IMO.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Thanks for the input, folks. The only .357 I've ever fired is my father's S&W. I have no idea which of the many variants are his, but it's a steel frame and looks closest to the Model 66 Combat.

My .44 magnum was all steel, and I used to backpack for days on end with that strapped to my side, so weight really isn't an issue.

I was curious, however, if anyone had gone ultra-light with a magnum and whether or not that was a game-ender. Apparently not, but it's clear no one would enjoy plinking with it at the range.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

I've carried my S&W 340PD .357 Mag since 2003 and it's never had a problem of any kind. I never leave home with out it being in my pocket. I've shot a couple thousand rounds of my hot .357 Mag loads and several hundred .38 Special rounds though it and not a hiccup. It's not a range gun but for the size and weight of 11.58 ounces including a set of Crimson Trace laser grips it's most firepower you can get in that small of a gun.

I can hit steel targets out to 25 ft. shooting from my waist every time using the laser. On sand bags it's very accurate.

craze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    The LCR will stand up to pretty good bit of magnum ammo shooting...they don't fall apart quickly. I am sure they will stand up to more than the Smith simply because the weigh about 1/3 more.
    Oh, I believe that, I just don't think my hand would hold up nearly as well.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...carry-gun-357/

- my primary carry is the 340PD
    - pocket carried in pocket holster
    - feels like a toy
    - when loaded you forget it is there - truly

- 38 and 38+p is snappy
    - 357 mag 125g is .... well... brutally managable

- 357 mag 158g is.... something from another world... you feel it from hand to shoulder

- I made a BIG mistake of putting WOOD service grips on the 340pd (you know the lil' ones) and firing 357 out of it..
    - I am currently recovering from that expereince since it did indeed INJURE my hand

- its been healing about 4 weeks now
    - i fire with my weak hand while my right is healing

- ive sinced dropped down to 125 38sp+P as the carry load

- *IF i heal up 100% I 'may' switch to 357mag 125g as carry... thats IF i heal back to normal
    - houge monogrips only, no wood, learned my lesson

- the cylinder relase needs to be de-horned or it will cut your thumb under recoil.. just round it smooth

PROS: light, reliable, powerful.. best power to weight ratio of any ccw gun

CONS: thumb release needs to be polished down to prevent cuts, recoil is indeed injurious depending on grip choice and shooter, not cut for moonclips

honestly there are so many 38sp and 357mag loads to choose from you can find something that will work for you.. in 357 you might want to practice with a glove...

- its worth noting i chose this gun after seeing the infamous Arizona gas-station goul video. He was a bigged drugged up guy that needed alot to take him down [presumably]

maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I just cannot take that revolver seriously at all. A featherweight 380 I understand but, no point in a featherweight magnum.

- there's a point, just not one that fits everyone
    - I live in the desert where it's 100f-120f all the time
    - I wear little short shorts due to the heat and I need something small and light and powerful since it's rural here

- we dont wear enough clothes to strap on heavier guns.. its too hot to do that lol!
    - so for me it allows me to be out and about in the heat with barley any clothes on and NOT carrying a 22, 32, or 380, but instead a 357mag

- I think that's the point of it... hot weather gun

- if i lived in wyoming like you I'd have a jacket or shirt conseal a 640 pro all steel j-frame
    - but in hot parts its simply hard to conceal 'the big stuff'...

- is it brutal and paintful to shoot, of course, but I knew that going into it... everything is a compromise...

forester58 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links