OK, its official I hate plastic guns. - Page 3

OK, its official I hate plastic guns.

This is a discussion on OK, its official I hate plastic guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh wavygravy, I've only been carrying on with this thread, having fun. I have to say though that I truly don't believe that this "new ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: OK, its official I hate plastic guns.

Senior Moderator
    Oh wavygravy, I've only been carrying on with this thread, having fun.

I have to say though that I truly don't believe that this "new crop" of "black plastic" guns we see now are any better than those I admire. It's apparent that the market currently defines "better" differently than I do.

And, that's ok.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Not So Off-Topic Rant

Bamboo fly rods made for centuries are three times heavier than graphite fly rods, have slow sloppy actions, break easily, and will develop a "set" (permanent bend) in them if you catch a really big trout. They cost 2-10 times more than quality modern, lightweight, crisp action graphite/polymer fly rods. The rod industry worked feverishly for the past 4 decades to perfect new state of the art fishing rods.

Some guys love expensive bamboo and scorn the "newfangled plastic" rods. I don't. They work better. It's called technology. Hate it or love it, they're here to stay.
    Bamboo rods are prettier, though.

I can appreciate a pretty gun, but don't particularly care if a gun is ugly, either.
    Yep, appreciation is what this post is about to me not function or practicality. I do own a few plastic guns myself ya know.
    Wavygravy and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Yep. If I ever have any kind of disposable income, I'd actually love to own a $4K Garrison bamboo fly rod and a really top-tier 1911.
    For now, I'll have to stick with ugly graphite rods and polymer pistols, I guess.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OP has revolver avatar and dislikes plastic guns, shocking.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Theres the 2011, plastic. A 2 pound 1911.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

flh
    I have fond memories of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK, its official I hate plastic guns.-img_1941.jpg  

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    ....forever silencing the familiar ring and clear sound of the phone.
    This. I have all of the modern trappings, but I still pay for a land line phone, although cordless. No cell phone I've ever heard can touch the clarity.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I'm a revolver guy and I'm still having a hard time liking my LCR. (Compared to my other revolvers)

But above all, I'm a gun guy, and have a ton of plastic bottom feeders. I like them all a lot, and have no problem at all carrying any of them.

But,,,,,,,,, I'll take ANY of my all steel revolvers over my very favorite plastic gun any day.

VIP Member
    OP, I can relate.

Years ago I left the polymer game for 1911s. This past summer, I decided to give them a try, again, thinking I needed a higher capacity 9mm polymer. Well, I tried a Walther Q5 Match, Sig P365 (higher capacity pocket gun), and a Sig P320 XCarry. While I liked and shot the Q5 and 320 well, I didn't want both of them, and ended up trading the Q5 for a CZ SP-01. The 320 was gone soon after. I have decided to keep the Sig P365 because it fills a niche very well for me. I guess I'm just a steel gun type of guy as well.

Matter of fact, I ordered another CZ today as an upgrade to the one I got a couple weeks ago.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I have owned many polymer guns (both striker & hammer) and tried them all for EDC. Then I found myself always carrying my Kimber SIS Ultra over the lighter higher capacity polymer guns. There's just something about the 1911 platform that suits me better than polymer guns. So, my plastics have gone to my kids (they love them) or sold. The only exception is my P226 on the nightstand. I've never felt under gunned with 7+1 and a spare mag.
    airslot, bmcgilvray, OD* and 1 others like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Hopefully a bit tongue in cheek as I have zero issues with plastic guns performance and understand the pros of them and still don't like em much. Why do we all have to suffer the square slides and those damned rails on everything? One of the reasons a 1911 and similar(despite its weight and dimensions) carries so well is they actually rounded the top of the dang slide and made some effort to make them slim and smooth. I had a Sig P227 that was a great gun and I sold it after I got tired of the cheese grater on the dust cover chewing my leather holster to shreds every time I drew or holstered the gun. Take a look at the 1908 Colt pocket "hammerless" That is how an every day carry gun should be designed. Smooth, thin and easy to carry almost anywhere.
    Even my plastic HK has that annoying cheap spring in plastic sound when you push the decocker. "Ting!". Ugh!

All in fun, sort of.
    AND.....a trigger that feels like a staple gun.......
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I have tried, I really have and I have owned some great plastic guns from Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Beretta, I could go on. They all shot well and they all carried well but, I still sold them. I appreciated the weight savings and the cost savings and even the engineering it took to design them but, still, I ended up dumping most of them and looking at dumping the rest here.
    When I bought my Para commander it came with plastic grip panels and a plastic main spring housing and those were the first things to be replaced.
    It might be just "crotchetyness" setting in as I long to go back to a 72 F250 and dump the newer crap with all the plastic and little lights and obnoxious bells and whistles and electric everything to "remind " us of how stupid and lazy we have become.
    I digress.
    What was I saying? O yeah, I think I may try a Beretta 92 to see if I can find anything that makes shooting 9mm any more enjoyable than taking out the trash. Of course those plastic grips would have to go.
    Im kinda on the same path. Maybe, just maybe, getting older brings us back to the types of arms we remember and grew up with. Kind of like coming back home.

Besides Glocks, there never ( still isn’t) a polymer design that does it for me. The Glocks are a very good gun, and have served me well over the span of a career and then some, but they just don’t bring the enjoyment that the older designs do.

Oh, I’ll keep the three I have. They are great guns and are capable of filling in here and there.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I forgive you, forester58.
    Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Im kinda on the same path. Maybe, just maybe, getting older brings us back to the types of arms we remember and grew up with. Kind of like coming back home.

Besides Glocks, there never ( still isn’t) a polymer design that does it for me. The Glocks are a very good gun, and have served me well over the span of a career and then some, but they just don’t bring the enjoyment that the older designs do.

Oh, I’ll keep the three I have. They are great guns and are capable of filling in here and there.
    I admit I like when a well used gun gets a little thin in the blueing around the edges. I remember the sound that a single action Ruger made when you cocked it and the new ones just don't have it, transfer bar and all I suppose. The new guns in many ways are great performers no doubt about it just like the new cars are much more efficient if not completely soulless. My younger brother is a mechanic as he calls himself not an "automotive tech" like the new guys call themselves and he is having a hard time finding help that knows how to work on old stuff as he owns a classic restoration shop. If they can't plug the computer in to download the codes they don't even know where to start. Remember we were taught "spark,fuel and air" and all you had to do is track each one down until you find the problem.

VIP Member
    Well, I like guns. I particularly like guns that are really well suited for their purpose. I'd rather shoot a nice ol' revolver, a 1911, or some other old classic, like my P-38. But the warm fuzzies from a solid old classic only go so far. I'd rather carry a lighter, higher-capacity, and (in most cases) more reliable modern pistol. For a practical, effective SD handgun in today's world, I have to go with a plastic fantastic most of the time. Never drank the Block Kool-aid, but have been sold on M&P's for quite a while, and most recently, the P365 has raised the bar for a CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Wonder if a Plastic Gun Haters Anonymous would go over this day and age!

Three live here, mostly to remind me to hate them better... Oh, I can't say that. The Smith & Wesson .40 Shield's pretty good for what it is ... plastic. I'll take it to the range infrequently when I think about it (and when I find the time to go!). Runs with never a bobble and represents a lot of .40 caliber gun for its size. It's the .40 S&W cartridge I admire more than the pistol...

...Ahhh ... this is more to the point. Reliable, truly convenient, doesn't require charging, standing by when you need it for the purpose, yet never behaves as a leash to manipulate your day when you're on the go.

The Smith & Wesson Military & Police snub, the Western Electric 500 telephone which was once was my grandmothers, and the house in which the phone cove is found at the landing on the stairs all date to 1952...
    Holy Smokes, Bryan! We're the same age, but your folks must have been cutting-edge technology geeks! A Western Electric 500! I grew up with the ol' Model 302.

OK, its official I hate plastic guns.-phone.jpg

Ours was the metal-framed one, putting its date of manufacture at sometime prior to 1942, if I'm not mistaken. We never had a Model 500 until we moved to a new house in 1971! That ol' plastic M500 of your grandma's looked downright space-age the first time I saw one! Sort of a Glock telephone!

Anyway, about the guns...

I think you know how much I appreciate the look and feel and soul of a good ol' walnut and steel handgun, be it a classic Colt revolver or a 1911, and I'd far prefer an old steel-and-wood gun to tupperware on the range. But for a handgun to tote around for actual, potential social use, I'll take the P365, M&P Compact, or Shield!

As for caliber, well, the .40 S&W is one I just could never warm up to. Guess it fills need I don't have! If a 9's not big enough, I'll go with .45!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links