OK, its official I hate plastic guns.

This is a discussion on OK, its official I hate plastic guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have tried, I really have and I have owned some great plastic guns from Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Beretta, I could go on. They all ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: OK, its official I hate plastic guns.

I have tried, I really have and I have owned some great plastic guns from Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Beretta, I could go on. They all shot well and they all carried well but, I still sold them. I appreciated the weight savings and the cost savings and even the engineering it took to design them but, still, I ended up dumping most of them and looking at dumping the rest here.
    When I bought my Para commander it came with plastic grip panels and a plastic main spring housing and those were the first things to be replaced.
    It might be just "crotchetyness" setting in as I long to go back to a 72 F250 and dump the newer crap with all the plastic and little lights and obnoxious bells and whistles and electric everything to "remind " us of how stupid and lazy we have become.
    I digress.
    What was I saying? O yeah, I think I may try a Beretta 92 to see if I can find anything that makes shooting 9mm any more enjoyable than taking out the trash. Of course those plastic grips would have to go.

Senior Moderator
    Wonder if a Plastic Gun Haters Anonymous would go over this day and age!

Three live here, mostly to remind me to hate them better. Oh, I can't say that. The Smith & Wesson .40 Shield's pretty good for what it is ... plastic. I'll take it to the range infrequently when I think about it (and when I find the time to go!). Runs with never a bobble and represents a lot of .40 caliber gun for its size. It's the .40 S&W cartridge I admire more than the pistol.

We bought a new car back in May. I got a new cellular phone last month. As George Harrison said in one of his more obscure Beatles tunes found on the Yellow Submarine album: "It's all too much for me to take." Too many capabilities! Too many gadgets! Too much nannying! Too much necessary yet annoying security! In many ways too complicated to be truly convenient! That '72 Ford 3/4 ton looks pretty good. I'm clinging to the '92 Dodge pickup we bought new as hard as I cling to the steel and walnut firearms around here.

Ahhh ... this is more to the point. Reliable, truly convenient, doesn't require charging, standing by when you need it for the purpose, yet never behaves as a leash to manipulate your day when you're on the go.

The Smith & Wesson Military & Police snub, the Western Electric 500 telephone which was once was my grandmothers, and the house in which the phone cove is found at the landing on the stairs all date to 1952. An early effort to be all "artistic" with the first digital camera.

Sadly, we've since moved from that house and our land line subscription is just now given up, forever silencing the familiar ring and clear sound of the phone. At least the K-Frame snub's still on hand and a special favorite of Mrs. BMc.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; October 8th, 2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I have tried, I really have and I have owned some great plastic guns from Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Beretta, I could go on. They all shot well and they all carried well but, I still sold them. I appreciated the weight savings and the cost savings and even the engineering it took to design them but, still, I ended up dumping most of them and looking at dumping the rest here.
    When I bought my Para commander it came with plastic grip panels and a plastic main spring housing and those were the first things to be replaced.
    It might be just "crotchetyness" setting in as I long to go back to a 72 F250 and dump the newer crap with all the plastic and little lights and obnoxious bells and whistles and electric everything to "remind " us of how stupid and lazy we have become.
    I digress.
    What was I saying? O yeah, I think I may try a Beretta 92 to see if I can find anything that makes shooting 9mm any more enjoyable than taking out the trash. Of course those plastic grips would have to go.
    I hit 2 birds with one stone. I ended up hating both plastic and striker fired pistols both at the same time.

The Beretta 92 is a fantastic pistol. Makes shooting the 9mm fun rather than a mundane chore. Replace the hard plastic grips with some Hogue rubber grips and then replace the 20# hammer spring with a 16# "D" hammer spring and you will have an even greater pistol. If you really want to get fancy replace the manual safety with the G model decocker only kit. Nearly all my Beretta 92's are decocker only now. The extended magazine release is a nice option as well.
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret, OD* and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I kept hearing all the praise and adulation for the Holy Glocks but instead of rushing out and buying one or more I rented several at a gun shop in Fayetteville. It did not matter the caliber or model or size I just did not like that funny trigger or the way it felt, I will admit I do own a Shield but I bought it to take my roommate to the range since she does not like the weight of my other guns.
    bmcgilvray, OD*, airslot and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I love my plastic guns, 3 Glocks, a SCCY, and a Ruger SR22. The only steel and wood gun I own is my NAA Black Widow.

The only plastic guns in this house are the ARs.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Plastic's here. I may hate on it, but by crack-y I got it.

Don't think I have a photograph of the lone Glock all by its lonesome. Shown with a VoPo Luger as an example of the original home of the 9mm. Hey, it's got plastic stocks! The important bits are all steel, forged if you please.

The Glock 17 9mm with the wretched Kel Tec P3AT .380 ACP and the grudgingly accepted Smith & Wesson .40 Shield. Shown with another gun I could do without. A Smith & Wesson Model 642. I'm not keen on aluminum alloy as a component of firearms construction. Now I'd make an exception for a neato Beretta 92, if for no other reason than to continue the U. S. military handgun collection from where the 1911A1 leaves off.

While we're in a mood in this thread: Truth be told I'm about overdosed on the AR 15. There are other rifles out there. The AR 15's rife with aluminum alloy and there's not a splinter of wood anywhere in sight. The original chambering is a boring middle-of-the-road varmint round. It's fine. Rifles are always good. It's not the do-all and end-all of the rifle world though.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Seems like irrationality abounds on here, of late.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Do you still use plastic shopping bags?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Seems like irrationality abounds on here, of late.
    It may be in the water or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    Do you still use plastic shopping bags?
    At the local grocery store we have our choice: paper or plastic. Yeah, Mrs. BMc and I generally choose paper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It may be in the water or something.

At the local grocery store we have our choice: paper or plastic. Yeah, Mrs. BMc and I generally choose paper.
    I use reusable shopping bags. Saves both paper and plastic! A few years ago Kroger had them on sale for 79 cents each. I think the price is close to $2 each now. They last almost forever. Before that I used old fashioned string bags, which you can still find in some places, but being soft and so expandable, everything gets jumbled together inside of those string bags.

And now back on topic.......I have both plastic fantastics and all metal guns. Works for me!
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Finally I found a plastic gun that I previously owned which I actually liked and enjoyed using...

Attachment 303646

Senior Moderator
    Oh, Shootergranny. I need to say that Mrs. BMc prefers those cloth bags as well and a gob of 'em clutter the trunk of the car. We're not really environmentalists, that is to say we're really not environmentalists so don't know why she likes them. She fusses because the sackers fill them too full for her to tote.

M5215;

We do have a forth plastic pistol similar to the one you illustrate. Forgot about it. It lives fully loaded a plastic cup by the back door and is used for spraying Felix the cat when he gets all uppity and thinks he wants in the house.

I prefer wood and steel.

OK, its official I hate plastic guns.-colt-anaconda.jpg
    OK, its official I hate plastic guns.-m1a.jpg

Plastic bags are illegal here and paper bags cost a nickel by law.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Been wanting a glock 43x lately and I'm a CZ fan boy 100% but it's the first glock I can pick up and feel good in my hand. Nice trim package with a decent amount of firepower that would make a good alternative to my CZ's when I want to go a bit smaller. No the sig and new hellcat just dont do it for me.
    bmcgilvray and gatorbait51 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links