Flat tire good samaritan

Flat tire good samaritan

This is a discussion on Flat tire good samaritan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Mrs and I spent the day yesterday at the State Fair. Had a great time. Then, on the way home, we pulled over to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Flat tire good samaritan

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar

Flat tire good samaritan

The Mrs and I spent the day yesterday at the State Fair. Had a great time. Then, on the way home, we pulled over to let an emergency EMT truck pass by on the freeway. The area was under construction, as freeways tend to forever be, and the next thing I knew my right rear tire was going flat.

The computer voice in my F250 Super Duty warned of low tire pressure and a dash warning light came on as I heard and felt the flap flap flap of a flat tire. I slowed and took the next exit onto a frontage road and parked by the curb bordering a residential section of the city that is not so accommodating to someone who doesn't live within that community. Especially some who matches my description.

My wife immediately asked if I had my EDC and I told her yes, showed her where the G19 and the two spare mags were located, and told her not to worry. I asked her to call roadside assistance while I located the tire tools and got out to assess the damage.

I had noticed, when I pulled off the road, an old Chevy truck parked along the same curbside, and had little option other than to pull about 100 feet in front of it to park my Ford. Now, as I'm looking at the tire and planning where to put the jack, a guy gets out of the old Chevy behind me and starts walking toward me.

He's a big guy, maybe 40, around 210, dark tanned, muscular, wearing a hard hat, work boots, old jeans and a t shirt under a well worn plaid shirt, and looks like he's been working outside all day. The man comes up to my truck and looks over the situation. Then he asks me, in somewhat broken English, what year model my Ford is. I told him it's a 2015 and that I had a jack and tools. So I open up the passenger side rear door, swing the back seat forward, and start unbuckling the tire tools behind the back seat. By the time I have everything out of the truck, (they are still strapped down from the factory installation) he has retrieved a battery powered impact wrench from his truck, along with the correct socket, a long flat blade screwdriver, and has already popped the lug nut cover off the wheel and is loosening the lug nuts.

Then he looks at the jack tools and assembles the pole pieces as I crawl under the Ford and help plant the jack under the lower most axle point. He then cranks the truck off the ground. Together we realize that the jack stem needs a special theft proof socket to fit the spare tire cradle gear and after I locate that in the glove box he lowers the spare and crawls under the Ford and removes it from the cradle. I pulled the flat wheel from the hub and as I rolled it to the back and tossed it in the bed, he put the spare on and spun the lug nuts on. Then, as he lowered the jack, I tightened the lug nuts with the tire tool wrench. It was like we were a couple of retired Nascar pit crew tire guys, working in harmony.

Then, my wife tells me "Roadside assistance says it will take them an hour and a half to two hours to get here and there's a $75 fee". The man who was helping me and I both looked at her, then looked at each other and lightly chuckled. We tossed everything into the bed with the flat tire and he picked up his impact wrench and screwdriver, gave me a nod, and turned to walk back to his truck.

I stopped him and we exchanged a road grimed hand shake and, as I handed him a small towel to clean his hands, I told him that there were two things I was thankful for today. One was that I had gotten this flat tire at 4pm instead of midnight. And the other was that he was here, where I'd pulled off the freeway. He told me that he had been working on a remodeling job where his truck was parked and was loading up his tools to go home at the end of his work day when he saw us pull off the road.

I handed him $75 that might have gone to a delayed roadside assistant on this day, and we both thanked him and said please take your family to dinner on us. He was genuinely appreciative, with a surprised look on his face, and accepted, without counting it, with a gracious smile. Then we both went on our separate ways.

There are still good people on the planet.

On the way home I told my wife that if that had have happened late at night I would have just called the tow service I have in my phone contacts list to come get us and haul the truck home where I could change the tire in the driveway. I have used that service before and their response time it less than half that of roadside assistance.

And today I am canceling the roadside assistance that I've paid a monthly fee for on my cellular plan for the past 15 years.

Now, it's off to the tire shop down the road to get that flat fixed or replaced.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Good story. Yes there are still a lot of nice people out there.
    You are fortunate, there are a lot of sketchy neighborhoods around Fair Park.
    Forgot to ask did you get a Fletcher's corny dog and a funnel cake?

Great story.

Bout 20 years ago i was on I-71, middle of nowhere.
    Had a flat tire, no spare so I drove on the berm, 5 mph.
    After 20 minutes I was just about down to the rim.
    (Dumb, I know)
    Some guy in a SEMI pulled up behind --- gave me a lift to the next exit.

Here's the incredible part;

This semi had been traveling in the opposite direction. He had gone down to the next exit, turned around, and came back to help me.
    I will never forget that kind man who went out of his way for me.
    "If there was an easy way I'd have bought it by now". Oprah Winfrey

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    There were three good people in that story. It is uplifting to read a report about good people being good to one another.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member
    There are good folks out there aren't there. I had a flat last week in a parking lot. As I was working to change it a Dentist from the complex brought out a cold bottle of water for me and said he thought I might need it in the 100 degree heat. He asked if I needed any help and I said no but that I appreciated the offer. He came back out about 10 minutes later (cheap tools that came with my vehicle have now, mostly, been replaced) with another bottle. Nice guy. I'm getting a cleaning from his hygienist next week.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I was on vacation in California years ago and saw a lady on the side of the road with a flat tire. She had no clue what to do. So I changed it for her. She said that she had no money on her but could go to the ATM.

I toldher that its a free service where I am from.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Nice to read about something good once in a while.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Just over a week ago here in Plano, TX I got a flat and was stuck late at night in an unknown neighborhood that I was barely able to pull in to. I was having some problems with the jack that came with my car then a young man that lived in one of the nearby homes came out with a nice jack from his garage and even offered to change the tire for me. God bless him as he saved by butt that night.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Good story. Yes there are still a lot of nice people out there.
    You are fortunate, there are a lot of sketchy neighborhoods around Fair Park.
    Forgot to ask did you get a Fletcher's corny dog and a funnel cake?
    Yes, of course we had to get a Fletchers Corrny Dog, and on Thursday they are almost half price! Most of the food at the fair is discounted on Thursdays. The best food find I came across was a full sized Tostada with refried beans, cheese, lettuce tomatoe and pico de gallo & jalapenos, for a low price of 4 coupons...or $2 bucks. One was a meal.

And if you know the Dallas Fair Park area, we were headed out 175 S and got the flat just before Dead Man's Curve. I managed to catch the last exit before the curve. If I'd missed that one the next one is pretty far down the road. There's road construction all thru that portion of the road. This morning I took the tire to a tire shop down the road from me and they pulled a 5 inch piece of tool chest drawer slider rail out of it. There was enough chewed sidewall rubber inside the tire to fill a bucket and the inner side wall was all chewed up. So I replaced the tire.

BTW: I'm on the hunt for a good road side assistance service that I can at least sign my wife's cars up with. So if anyone has any recommendations I'm open. Preferably one that doesn't take two hours and charge a service call.
    AAA? AARP?
    airslot and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    Yes, of course we had to get a Fletchers Corrny Dog, and on Thursday they are almost half price! Most of the food at the fair is discounted on Thursdays. The best food find I came across was a full sized Tostada with refried beans, cheese, lettuce tomatoe and pico de gallo & jalapenos, for a low price of 4 coupons...or $2 bucks. One was a meal.

BTW: I'm on the hunt for a good road side assistance service that I can at least sign my wife's cars up with. So if anyone has any recommendations I'm open. Preferably one that doesn't take two hours and charge a service call.
    AAA? AARP?
    You should be able to get roadside assistance as an add-on to your car insurance. That can be a great way to go depending on the insurance company. At least check it out.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post

AAA? AARP?
    I just got AAA last year but thankfully I have not had to use them, so not sure how good they are?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I have been an AAA member for about 20 years. Service can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the area and time of day or night. Just be prepared to wait a while. I am a clutz when it comes to anything mechanical, but I have always carried a jumper cable in my SUV. About 15 years ago I was in a store parking lot and noticed a middle aged woman with a child standing around their car. Her car wouldn't start and she had no one to call to fix it. Like I knew what I was doing, I took out my jumper cable and hooked it up and attempted to start her car. There was a loud noise and sparks flew. When I got out of my car to see what had happened, I saw that I had the positive and negative cables hooked up wrong. It blew out my electrical system. I had to call AAA for a tow. They also helped the lady start her car. I found out that they would service other cars, not only my own, as long as I was there with my membership card. It cost me $200 to fix my car. Lesson for me, just call AAA for everything!
    drmordo and ShooterGranny like this.

First and last time I ran out of gas was on I-59 south in Mississippi nearing the border of Louisiana, around 10 or 11 pm. A good Christian family on their way home from bowling stopped and found me a gallon of diesel, more than enough to take me home. :)
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

I've narrowed it down to Good Sam. Their policy includes roadside assistance for all vehicles I own, rent or borrow, (Both cars, Harley, Travel Trailer, utility trailer), and includes my wife. AAA looks good but additional drivers are an extra fee. Plus, right now Good Sam has a half price promotion for the first year. Since we often tow a travel trailer as well as a utility trailer this looks like the way to go. They get good reviews too.
    Then, I thought I'd check my auto insurance policy before buying the Good Sam package and discovered that I have roadside assistance for both cars. But it only covers the cars and doesn't specify which service would be called out for assistance. However the annual cost is only $16 bucks. I'm thinking in a world where you get what you pay for it's probably a better decision to go with a service that specializes in this.

I have Allstate auto insurance and it offers roadside assistance for about $15 a year. Had to use it once for a tow and no issues. Check with your auto insurance for roadside assistance. It's usually pretty inexpensive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links