We can approximate anything, as long as you have enough terms...

This is a discussion on We can approximate anything, as long as you have enough terms... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "We can approximate anything, as long as you have enough terms." - Smarter Every Day I can't say I love math. In fact, it's a ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By since9

Thread: We can approximate anything, as long as you have enough terms...

"We can approximate anything, as long as you have enough terms." - Smarter Every Day

I can't say I love math. In fact, it's a love-hate relationship. I thought I would have a better chance of getting to do what I love doing -- flying -- if I became an aerospace engineer. Well, aside from Laplace and Fourier transforms, I might have made it. I graduated with a degree in Finance, instead, albeit with 100% of my electives in engineering, math, and science. But I still flew for 20 years and loved (nearly) every minute of it. Along the way, I've found many different ways to use math to find far better answers than merely guessing at it.

What math can you bring to the table with respect to shooting? Do you have any equation-based (non-tabular) way of modeling things, such as ballistics data, in an accurate and precise manner?
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Yes, I think of the Fourier series in terms of phase cancellation or augmentation.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Senior Moderator
    I'm a career test engineer - think "measurement scientist" - and a consummate number cruncher. Shooting action pistol competitively and both tactical and precision rimfire rifle, I have yet to need more than high school algebra and trig to achieve hits on target. When I delve into the dynamics of barrel vibrations and their effects on practical accuracy, an FFT analysis can help me understand what's happening, but it doesn't get any more sophisticated than that.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm a career test engineer - think "measurement scientist" - and a consummate number cruncher. Shooting action pistol competitively and both tactical and precision rimfire rifle, I have yet to need more than high school algebra and trig to achieve hits on target. When I delve into the dynamics of barrel vibrations and their effects on practical accuracy, an FFT analysis can help me understand what's happening, but it doesn't get any more sophisticated than that.
    Cool! I dug out some shock wave constructs from my old texts. I'm trying to figure out if it's even possible to design a largely volume-independent shock wave cancellation device for use a suppressor. If successful, any shock wave emanating from a barrel, whether low or volume, would be be largely attenuated.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Sponsored Links