Marlin 44 is ready to go! - Page 2

Marlin 44 is ready to go!

This is a discussion on Marlin 44 is ready to go! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here ... How do you know? Those swamps are dense. :) I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Marlin 44 is ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here ...
    How do you know? Those swamps are dense. :)

I remember when alligators went on the endangered species list. The people who did that were never anywhere near Louisiana. There was no shortage ...

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I can reload a 50 round box with premium bullets cheaper than you can buy a box of cheap 9mm ammo.
    Yep...even the 45-70 he was referring to can be reloaded CHEAP...as compared to almost any commercial ammo.
    G-man* and airslot like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

VIP Member
    I can reload a 50 round box with premium bullets cheaper than you can buy a box of cheap 9mm ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Yep...even the 45-70 he was referring to can be reloaded CHEAP...as compared to almost any commercial ammo.
    I would be VERY interested in a cost breakdown of your .45-70 reloads that are cheaper than "cheap 9mm ammo"! You must have some incredibly cheap sources for reloading components.

The cheapest .45-70 load I could come up with was about $.40/round. That's buying powder in bulk, not using a "premium" bullet, and not even including the cost of brass! I can buy cheap, brass-cased factory 9mm for $.15/round.

What am I missing?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I hadn’t shot it for over a year. The wife used it last year.

I did 3 shots from sitting with my handloads at 55 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot in my yard, and see the target due to the slope.

I circled the group with a pen, and finished off the session by doing strong arm draw and fire for 4 shots followed 3 weak hand shots from 4 yards with my carry ammo from the LW Colt Commander.

Mods; I posted this here because it was a mixed bag of hunting rifle/ defensive handgun, but move it if it’s more appropriate somewhere else.

55 yard 3 shot group
    Attachment 304000
    Attachment 304002
    That should do quite nicely!
    G-man* likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I would be VERY interested in a cost breakdown of your .45-70 reloads that are cheaper than "cheap 9mm ammo"! You must have some incredibly cheap sources for reloading components.

The cheapest .45-70 load I could come up with was about $.40/round. That's buying powder in bulk, not using a "premium" bullet, and not even including the cost of brass! I can buy cheap, brass-cased factory 9mm for $.15/round.

What am I missing?
    I shoot .45-70 frequently and have been reloading them for the past 35 years or so. 350-grain RNFP cast of salvaged wheel weights, large rifle primer, 28 grains IMR 4198. I figure my cost to reload at about $0.15 per round, $7.50 per box of 50 rounds. That compares pretty favorably with factory 9mm pistol ammo.
    G-man*, airslot, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That should do quite nicely!
    Out of all the rifles I have hunted with over the years, the 44 magnum is the most impressive on deer within 100 yards.
    OD*, Bad Bob, airslot and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Scope on a lever gun?
    G-man*, OD*, drmordo and 2 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Scope on a lever gun?
    They come off with a few turns of the screw:)
    OD*, airslot and ETXhiker like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Out of all the rifles I have hunted with over the years, the 44 magnum is the most impressive on deer within 100 yards.
    I love my 44's.. The 30-06 with a 150-165 grn Nosler BT is very impressive on deer, at any distance.
    G-man*, OD*, airslot and 1 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I love my 44's.. The 30-06 with a 150-165 grn Nosler BT is very impressive on deer, at any distance.
    I've never had to shoot anything twice with my .30-06 with 165-grain Sierra SPBTs. Effective, they are. IMO, a .30 165-grain bullet at decent velocity and reasonable range is good for most anything.

On a sidenote, I loaded some Nosler 150-grain BTs for the -06 and at first thought I'd found magic. Smaller than a quarter-sized group at 200 yards, but stretching out to 300 found I could barely keep them on the paper. Became unstable for some reason. That's when I switched to 165-grainers. Big difference.
    airslot, G-man*, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

What am I missing?
    Using my cast bullets and reloading my brass...coming in under the cost of bulk 9mm ammo is no problem. I can produce these reloads for about 16 cents per round or $8.00 per 50. In my area or online orders with shipping, bulk 9mm costs me $10 per 50 rounds...so, you have access to cheaper 9mm than I do. But, my point still stands...reloading 45-70 makes it very affordable to shoot. And, actually, my statement was about commercial 45-70 and not 9mm specifically...but it does compare very favorably to 9mm...since you mention it.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    I shoot .45-70 frequently and have been reloading them for the past 35 years or so. 350-grain RNFP cast of salvaged wheel weights, large rifle primer, 28 grains IMR 4198. I figure my cost to reload at about $0.15 per round, $7.50 per box of 50 rounds. That compares pretty favorably with factory 9mm pistol ammo.
    Glad that works for you, but for most of us, it won't.

Most of us don't have the skills, equipment, time, or opportunity to cast free bullets. VERY few are able to cast "premium bullets", and the cheapest (NOT premium) bullets I'm seeing for .45-70 are a quarter a pop; almost twice the cost of a cheap factory 9mm round. You're also basing your cost on a very light load - 28 gr. vs. 35-45 gr. for a "standard" load. Forty grains of IMR 4198 will set you back about $.14/round for the powder alone.

So, a realistic cost for someone who doesn't cast 'free' bullets, and loads to a standard pressure, is $.25 for the bullet, $.14 for powder, and $.03 for a primer. That's $.42 a round and still does not account for the cost of brass or investment in dies. Heck, most of us would never reload 1000 rounds of .45-70 in our lives, so a $50 set of dies adds another nickel per round to the cost!

In your circumstances, maybe you can equate the cost of .45-70 reloads to new 9mm ammo. In my circumstances, I can't.
    drmordo likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Nix
    G-man, a .44 lever gun is on my wish list. I keep scanning the racks in the local shops. Nice choice.

My current lever gun is Winchester in 45 Colt, which, loaded with warm ammo, would seem to be a decent second choice to the .44.

45-70 is an awesome cartridge, but is too much gun for my neighborhood.
    drmordo and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    G-man, a .44 lever gun is on my wish list. I keep scanning the racks in the local shops. Nice choice.

But my current lever gun is Winchester in 45 Colt, which, loaded with warm ammo, would seem to be a decent second choice to the .44.
    Its not a good second choice.....it’s an excellent alternative!
    Nix, Cuda66, drmordo and 2 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post

My current lever gun is Winchester in 45 Colt, which, loaded with warm ammo, would seem to be a decent second choice to the .44.

45-70 is an awesome cartridge, but is too much gun for my neighborhood.
    Many folks say 45 Colt does everything 44 Magnums does, but with less fanfare. I'd love to add a 45 Colt lever to the collection as well. I have a custom 3" M28 that was rodded out to 45 Colt that would pair well with one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links