Marlin 44 is ready to go! - Page 3

Marlin 44 is ready to go!

This is a discussion on Marlin 44 is ready to go! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Winchesters are a 26" Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative .30-30, a 20" .45 Colt, and a 16" .44 magnum. My first loves are lever-action rifles and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Marlin 44 is ready to go!

My Winchesters are a 26" Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative .30-30, a 20" .45 Colt, and a 16" .44 magnum. My first loves are lever-action rifles and single-action revolvers.

Marlin 44 is ready to go!-winchesters.jpg
    Nix, drmordo, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Many folks say 45 Colt does everything 44 Magnums does, but with less fanfare. I'd love to add a 45 Colt lever to the collection as well. I have a custom 3" M28 that was rodded out to 45 Colt that would pair well with one.
    The 45 will do anything that the 44magnum will do...but when loaded to where it will achieve that level of performance, there is no difference in recoil.
    drmordo likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Many folks say 45 Colt does everything 44 Magnums does, but with less fanfare. I'd love to add a 45 Colt lever to the collection as well. I have a custom 3" M28 that was rodded out to 45 Colt that would pair well with one.
    My Winchester is very accurate out to 100 yards (me shooting, iron sights). Great carbine. And I really like the 45 Colt cartridge.

The 44 probably has an edge as a hunting round, however. It shoots a wee bit flatter and has a slightly better sectional density than that lovely 45 Colt. Although, for practical purposes, it might be a toss up.
    G-man* and airslot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Glad that works for you, but for most of us, it won't.

Most of us don't have the skills, equipment, time, or opportunity to cast free bullets. VERY few are able to cast "premium bullets", and the cheapest (NOT premium) bullets I'm seeing for .45-70 are a quarter a pop; almost twice the cost of a cheap factory 9mm round. You're also basing your cost on a very light load - 28 gr. vs. 35-45 gr. for a "standard" load. Forty grains of IMR 4198 will set you back about $.14/round for the powder alone.

So, a realistic cost for someone who doesn't cast 'free' bullets, and loads to a standard pressure, is $.25 for the bullet, $.14 for powder, and $.03 for a primer. That's $.42 a round and still does not account for the cost of brass or investment in dies. Heck, most of us would never reload 1000 rounds of .45-70 in our lives, so a $50 set of dies adds another nickel per round to the cost!

In your circumstances, maybe you can equate the cost of .45-70 reloads to new 9mm ammo. In my circumstances, I can't.
    Perhaps I failed to mention that I shoot .45-70 in original US Springfield trap-door rifles from 1873-1884, and a Winchester from 1890. I do not wish to stress these old rifles with loads that exceed original black powder specifications.

I also shoot .45-90 Winchester in an original Winchester 1886 rifle, and .45 Sharps Express in an original 1874 Sharps business rifle. For those I rely on brass manufactured outside the US because it is simply unavailable anymore (the Sharps requires modifications of ANY brass before it can be used).

My point in responding is that those of us who have made a hobby and history of producing our own ammunition will never be dependent on supply chains, and we will never be subject to the costs that plague many shooters, hunters, and collectors. I have been doing this since 1972, probably longer than some of you folks have been practicing breathing.

I can easily produce just about any ammunition for $0.15 per round or less, assuming I have a supply of brass and a suitable bullet mould. In fact, I regularly turn out 9mm, .38 Special, .357 magnum, .40 S&W, .45ACP, .44 Special, and others for under 7 cents per round. I shoot a lot of .44-40 in original Colt revolvers and century-old rifles, but I don't pay $65 per box at the store; I make my own for $4 per box.

Enjoy your day.
    airslot, G-man* and Nix like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Perhaps I failed to mention that I shoot .45-70 in original US Springfield trap-door rifles from 1873-1884, and a Winchester from 1890. I do not wish to stress these old rifles with loads that exceed original black powder specifications.

I also shoot .45-90 Winchester in an original Winchester 1886 rifle, and .45 Sharps Express in an original 1874 Sharps business rifle. For those I rely on brass manufactured outside the US because it is simply unavailable anymore (the Sharps requires modifications of ANY brass before it can be used).

My point in responding is that those of us who have made a hobby and history of producing our own ammunition will never be dependent on supply chains, and we will never be subject to the costs that plague many shooters, hunters, and collectors. I have been doing this since 1972, probably longer than some of you folks have been practicing breathing.

I can easily produce just about any ammunition for $0.15 per round or less, assuming I have a supply of brass and a suitable bullet mould. In fact, I regularly turn out 9mm, .38 Special, .357 magnum, .40 S&W, .45ACP, .44 Special, and others for under 7 cents per round. I shoot a lot of .44-40 in original Colt revolvers and century-old rifles, but I don't pay $65 per box at the store; I make my own for $4 per box.

Enjoy your day.
    I'm curious about the .45-Sharps express case length.

I shoot, cast, and load for: .40-70W, .45-90 2.4" and .45-100 2.6" and I use Starline brass. The .40-70 (or .40-82 it's almost the same) are formed from .45-2.4".
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I'm curious about the .45-Sharps express case length.

I shoot, cast, and load for: .40-70W, .45-90 2.4" and .45-100 2.6" and I use Starline brass. The .40-70 (or .40-82 it's almost the same) are formed from .45-2.4".
    I don't know about the case length, but know that you must have a very strong shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    I don't know about the case length, but know that you must have a very strong shoulder.
    Naw, not really.

My silhouette rifles, the .40-70 and .45-90 both weigh just shy of the limit of 12lbs 2 oz. My .45-100 is a 32" #1 Shlioh Special Sporting which is a little over 13lbs. All of mine have shotgun but-stocks. So really even in a 40 rd match (+ sighters), 30 of which were prone off sticks, the recoil wasn't all that bad.
    G-man* likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links