Marlin 44 is ready to go!

This is a discussion on Marlin 44 is ready to go! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hadn’t shot it for over a year. The wife used it last year. I did 3 shots from sitting with my handloads at 55 ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Marlin 44 is ready to go!

I hadn’t shot it for over a year. The wife used it last year.

I did 3 shots from sitting with my handloads at 55 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot in my yard, and see the target due to the slope.

I circled the group with a pen, and finished off the session by doing strong arm draw and fire for 4 shots followed 3 weak hand shots from 4 yards with my carry ammo from the LW Colt Commander.

Mods; I posted this here because it was a mixed bag of hunting rifle/ defensive handgun, but move it if it’s more appropriate somewhere else.

55 yard 3 shot group
    Marlin 44 is ready to go!-ae11a84b-cb0f-4744-8454-5d594a2d39da.jpeg
    Marlin 44 is ready to go!-78c6511f-cc6d-43a6-82b7-0c6ceb3fa8ef.jpeg
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Fun time! I’m envious....haven't been out for awhile....
    G-man* and airslot like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Nice! Minute of venison!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

XTP or hard cast?
    NRA Life Member

MJK
    Attachment 304010

Minute of deer accuracy! Well done.
    5lima30ret and Rockymonster like this.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by bamat View Post
    xtp or hard cast?
    240 xtp
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Nice!

I've been shopping online all day for levers. I have a Rossi 92, but I really want a 45-70.

VIP Member
    Dang!

Now I've got a bad urge to take the 336 out back & run a few rounds through it! Haven't shot it in quite a while. Just might have to do that in the morning!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Nice!

I've been shopping online all day for levers. I have a Rossi 92, but I really want a 45-70.
    Man, every time I go in the store and see that Henry .45-70 on the rack, I drool a little. Talk about wanting a gun that I have no use for! We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here, and I don't particularly need to be adding another caliber to the stable - especially a big, expensive one!

But, whaddaheck - having "no use for" another gun has never stopped me before!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Man, every time I go in the store and see that Henry .45-70 on the rack, I drool a little. Talk about wanting a gun that I have no use for! We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here, and I don't particularly need to be adding another caliber to the stable - especially a big, expensive one!

Yup...it’s really not about THAT......
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

I have no use for a 45-70 either, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

The biggest problem with me getting a 45-70 lever gun is it becomes inevitable that I will have to get a 45-70 BFR to go with it.

Marlin 44 is ready to go!-maxresdefault.jpg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I have no use for a 45-70 either, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

The biggest problem with me getting a 45-70 lever gun is it becomes inevitable that I will have to get a 45-70 BFR to go with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	304016

I was just talking to a friend at work about the BFR .45-70 yesterday!

While I AM something of a recoil junkie, and love my .44 Mags, I think I could resist the urge to get the BFR! There IS such thing as too much of a good thing, and I'm afraid these ol' 60-something-year-old wrists might not be up to the task!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    A 240 gr xtp out of a 16-20 inch barrel is no laughing matter. Id normally carry my 44 mag lever action when going into the thick timber for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    A 240 gr xtp out of a 16-20 inch barrel is no laughing matter. Id normally carry my 44 mag lever action when going into the thick timber for bear.
    Heck - a 44 MAG 240gr XTP out a 4" barrel is no joke!!!

especially a big, expensive one!

I can reload a 50 round box with premium bullets cheaper than you can buy a box of cheap 9mm ammo.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links