10mm Glock used to stop charging 800lb Alaskan Grizzly bear - Page 3

10mm Glock used to stop charging 800lb Alaskan Grizzly bear

This is a discussion on 10mm Glock used to stop charging 800lb Alaskan Grizzly bear within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And accounts of bear being killed with a 22. That does not make it a good idea. Some time people get lucky. back up while ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: 10mm Glock used to stop charging 800lb Alaskan Grizzly bear

And accounts of bear being killed with a 22. That does not make it a good idea. Some time people get lucky. back up while bear hunting I highly recommend a 30.06.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

In bear country I'd be carrying this, and have, maybe again some day.

If I have to give up a long arm for reduced handgun power, regardless of caliber, I prefer a longer barrel to retain what powder I can versus a shorter barrel for convenience. My .41 Mag had a 6-1/2" barrel, carried easily in a should rig, and I never felt it was burdensome due to barrel length.

Having said that, I saw only one bear during my time in AK, and that was out the window of a bush plane. While out on 3-wheelers on the army range, my buddies and I stopped at a favorite fishing hole. I looked down to see a fresh, huge bear paw print in the mud, still slowly filling with water. Next to it were other much smaller ones--cub size.

We decided it was not a good day to test bear-stopping theories with either .41s or .44s and quickly moved on to fish elsewhere. That discretion thing, you know...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If I have to give up a long arm for reduced handgun power, regardless of caliber, I prefer a longer barrel to retain what powder I can versus a shorter barrel for convenience. My .41 Mag had a 6-1/2" barrel, carried easily in a should rig, and I never felt it was burdensome due to barrel length.
    Perhaps not....but your new Avatar is making me whoosie and weak in the knees.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The handgun of choice in Alaska with Alaskan guides presently is the Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. They prefer the short barrel Alaskan over all other handguns for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Perhaps not....but your new Avatar is making me whoosie and weak in the knees.....
    If so, perhaps you should join my Female OV Admirers Fan Club.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Clearly he lacked this guys experience.....

KILTED COWBOY likes this.

When I go off into the woods I've always got more than a 10mm on me.

KILTED COWBOY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    For squirrel, yes.
    Sez the guy who sometimes carries a G26 or...gasp!...a .380 Bodyguard?

I think your new 1911 has some Svengali hold over you...

Will the real G-man please stand up, please stand up, please stand up...
    G-man* likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Clearly he lacked this guys experience.....

Looks like Yogi Bear fighting with ranger Rick.
    What's in the pick-inic basket Boo Boo.
    OldVet and since9 like this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

They prefer the short barrel Alaskan over all other handguns for a reason.

Well, curious minds want to know..... Why? I've read that the Ruger Alaskan was popular, but I've never seen a reason for that. Possibly because it shoots a 454 Casull. But then, I've also read that the 10mm auto is becoming quite a 'thing' these days. The cynical part of me suspects that Ruger's advertising department has just done a good job of getting Alaskans into the hands of Alaskans......

I once met a horseback guide who carried a 7.5" revolver. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was the one he had. A 7.5" revolver seems a tad large to carry around, but I can't see going out of my way to get a 2.5" pistol, either.

I've shot a few rounds of Casull.....and can not claim to be a fan of the recoil.

I believe the Super Redhawk in 54 Casull was/is made with a 5" barrel. I'd consider that. If Ruger came out with a 4" version, I'd consider that even more--that strikes me as a nice compromise between being potent, packable, and pointable.

But my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk can drive a 300 grain bullet at 1100fps....which is at least adequate for bear defense. My 4" S&W 629 can do the same.

...and still allows for the possibility that I'll be able to take a follow-up shot the very same day.

Edit: confirmed, Bud's has a Ruger Super Redhawk 5" in 454. Listing for $916. Ugly looking gun, but I'd consider it.

Name:  716009499_1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  16.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Well, curious minds want to know..... Why? I've read that the Ruger Alaskan was popular, but I've never seen a reason for that. Possibly because it shoots a 454 Casull. But then, I've also read that the 10mm auto is becoming quite a 'thing' these days. The cynical part of me suspects that Ruger's advertising department has just done a good job of getting Alaskans into the hands of Alaskans......

I once met a horseback guide who carried a 7.5" revolver. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was the one he had. A 7.5" revolver seems a tad large to carry around, but I can't see going out of my way to get a 2.5" pistol, either.

I've shot a few rounds of Casull.....and can not claim to be a fan of the recoil.

I believe the Super Redhawk in 54 Casull was/is made with a 5" barrel. I'd consider that. If Ruger came out with a 4" version, I'd consider that even more--that strikes me as a nice compromise between being potent, packable, and pointable.

But my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk can drive a 300 grain bullet at 1100fps....which is at least adequate for bear defense. My 4" S&W 629 can do the same.

...and still allows for the possibility that I'll be able to take a follow-up shot the very same day.

Edit: confirmed, Bud's has a Ruger Super Redhawk 5" in 454. Listing for $916. Ugly looking gun, but I'd consider it.

Name:  716009499_1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  16.4 KB
    https://gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

Buffalo Bore .454 360 grain LBT GC 1219
    Buffalo Bore .45 Colt Heavy 325 LBT 1126
    Buffalo Bore .45 Colt Heavy 260 Hollowpoint 1279
    Cor-Bon .45 Colt +P 265 grain Hollowpoint 1160
    Cor-Bon .45 Colt +P 300 grain Jacketed SP 1036
    Grizzly .454 300 grain Belt Mtn. Punch 1205
    Grizzly .454 335 grain LBT GC 1001
    Grizzly .454 360 grain LBT GC 986.2
    Handload 314 grain Belt Mtn. Punch 26 gr. H110 1078
    Handload 314grain Belt Mtn. Punch 28 gr. H110 1207
    Handload Hornady 250 XTP HP 28 gr. H110 971
    Handload Hornady 250 XTP HP 30 gr. H110 1096
    Handload Mt. Baldy 270 gr. SAA 8.8 gr. Trail Boss 753.4
    Handload Mt. Baldy 270 gr. SAA 10 gr. Trail Boss 1002

The 454 Alaskan trump either of your two you listed. THAT's why Alaskan guides prefer the Alaskan 454. Easily portable, heavy hitter loads as a back up to their clients rifles.

Cor-Bon 320 grain hard cast through a Ruger Alaskan 44 gets an average of 1035 fps in the more portable sidearm. The first of the big 5 African game taken was a charging bull elephant his hunter had angered with an errant shot. The guide fired one round of 454 and it entered the skull and exited out the bulls arse. That's penetration when you need it most or get stomped to death [ or eaten as would be case with bears ] I found the 454 far too much recoil for my liking, swapped it for their 44 mag and stoke it with BB heavy loads. It's easy to put 25 of those through the gun without further aggravating joints.
    Nix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sez the guy who sometimes carries a G26 or...gasp!...a .380 Bodyguard?

I think your new 1911 has some Svengali hold over you...

Will the real G-man please stand up, please stand up, please stand up...
    Ah, you know I’ve got a mean side, and sometimes just like to stir things up, lol
    10thmtn and Hoganbeg like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Here's a great article on what handgun calibers Alaskan guides are using for bear protection; It's dated December 2016, and we all know how much things can change in three years, so keep that in mind. Apparently Ted Nugent took down a charging 1200 lb Cape Buffalo with one round from a Glock g20 10mm. Well known Alaska guide Larry Rivers is reported to carry a Glock g20 as backup to his rifle.

https://alaskagunsite.wordpress.com/...uto-and-bears/

The best 10mm fpe is roughly 700. The 454 generates 1300+ from the Alaskan [ nearly double ].

Nuff said on which one to choose for serious social engagements with grizzlies.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links