Guess I Get To Try Lefty - Page 2

Guess I Get To Try Lefty

This is a discussion on Guess I Get To Try Lefty within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All the durn unused holsters in my holster drawer and not ONE left-handed one. Figures.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Guess I Get To Try Lefty

All the durn unused holsters in my holster drawer and not ONE left-handed one. Figures....
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Yikes!

That sounds painful and looks uncomfortable. Best wishes for a quick recovery.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

You'll survive.

The thumb not so much...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

So sorry that happened, hope it heals quickly and your back to playing music soon!
    Trust God, He is in control.

UDC member

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Ouch, that sucks.

I am left-handed and have a few unused holsters. If you need a holster and let me know what you are thinking about carrying, I may be able to help.

WG good luck for a speedy recovery.

Do you have to write lefty?
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

VIP Member
    Very sorry to hear/see that! I do hope it heals well and as quickly as possible. Do keep that splint on, though, to give it time to heal properly so it doesn't break open and make a worse mess.

I'll stick with my 38 year old set of Chicago cutlery. They maybe could be sharpened to the danger point, but I prefer them just "sort of" sharp.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    It was a freaky and very fast thing. The blade of the chef's knife was on the cutting board with the handle hanging off. My left hand hit the handle, the knife did a complete flip in the air, and came down on the back of my right thumb. A quality heavy weighted and very sharp knife (8 inch blade). Got me good.
    Sounds like you partially severed your abductor pollicis longus!

If so, then you and I have something in common. I sliced through about half of mine in 1983 in college. I slapped a folded sock on it as a dressing, tucked my whole hand and the dressing into another sock for the bandage, and headed to the clinic. After stitching, he bandaged my entire hand and said, "No sports of any kind for a month. You stress that thumb and you'll tear the tendon the rest of the way and lose the use of your thumb.

Good luck with your healing process! Good thing you have that splint as a reminder.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

VIP Member
    What is your EDC? It's possible there may be a correct-handed holster available for loan.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I really appreciate the thoughts and holster offers, folks! I'm going to the range today to try lefty. Rooted through my holster drawer again last night and found an Uncle Mike's POS that'll probably work. My right hand is only supposed to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks, and I'm really hoping that's as long as this takes. A certain bathroom chore is a real pain-in-the- the ... well, you know.

<edit at 4:50 p.m.> -- went to the range, lefty isn't so bad at all. I dunno if it's the fact that I use both hands to play musical instruments or that I'm just a lousy shot with my right hand. It didn't take long to be shooting ok lefty.
    Last edited by Wavygravy; November 6th, 2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I really appreciate the thoughts and holster offers, folks! I'm going to the range today to try lefty. Rooted through my holster drawer again last night and found an Uncle Mike's POS that'll probably work. My right hand is only supposed to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks, and I'm really hoping that's as long as this takes. A certain bathroom chore is a real pain...
    Have fun at the range, but do absolutely protect that thumb. A completely torn tendon is painful and takes much longer to heal than one which is merely partially torn or cut.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Hope you heal and without any problems. Cuts are sooo common when we start processing harvested animals during hunting seasons. I dont know if this was the case but I am just pointing out the necessity to be careful and to consider wearing a knife proof glove when using sharp knives.

Well be prepared for awkward moments in the bathroom. Switching from right to left hand gets a little tricky for a while.

I really appreciate the thoughts and holster offers, folks! I'm going to the range today to try lefty. Rooted through my holster drawer again last night and found an Uncle Mike's POS that'll probably work. My right hand is only supposed to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks, and I'm really hoping that's as long as this takes. A certain bathroom chore is a real pain-in-the- the ... well, you know.

<edit at 4:50 p.m.> -- went to the range, lefty isn't so bad at all. I dunno if it's the fact that I use both hands to play musical instruments or that I'm just a lousy shot with my right hand. It didn't take long to be shooting ok lefty.
    I practice every session shooting with either hand. It could come in useful some day.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Hope ya heal up quick and 100%.

I usually always shoot one handed. Sometimes I'll carry my 442 in my front left pocket and a bigger gun iwb/owb on right side, or 442 in my right front pocket and a bigger gun iwb/owb on left side.

I practice draw and fire, all 4 ways at the range. Ya never know which hand is going to be available and/or faster to draw and fire when you suddenly get jumped by Mr. BG in a dark alley.

So I have quite a few lefty holsters in the drawer.

Something I have never done lefty, and I think would definitely be awkward, is that certain bathroom chore you mentioned. Lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links