Got in trouble at the range...

This is a discussion on Got in trouble at the range... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Its a rural range, often my wife and I are alone there.. Its quite large- got rifle and shotgun / 22 LR only, pistol and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Got in trouble at the range...

Its a rural range, often my wife and I are alone there.. Its quite large- got rifle and shotgun / 22 LR only, pistol and rifle/ handgun only sections on probably 20 acres, surrounded by nothing in the direction the rounds go.. So I put just 20 rounds through my 10/22, thats not why i went, then put 10 rounds through my P32 keltec, again not why i went.. Then went to the rifle shotgun area. I seldom take my long guns to the range- maybe once a year.. I wanted to handle, shoot and re aquaint myself with all of them.. its a modest arsenal, besides the 10/22 i own a marlin Camp9, Ruger PC Carbine, Savage Axis .223 bolt with cheap scope, Ruger Mini 14, and a mossberg 500C 20 ga. thats probably over 10 years old, and MIGHT have 10 rounds through it.. they all needed to be fired, looked over, squeezed, fondled, and perhaps cleaned.. As I was getting ready a guy i had talked to briefly at the .22 area plesantly came over and started to give me grief.. He was affiliated with the range, and i dared put out my own targets, something that everyone always did including myself.. When I tried explaining i had no idea what was going on this was something that was never a problem, he angrily told me i needed to read everything before I went out on the range.

I guess they had changed policy, and now you had to use designated backstops for any long gun.. never got any notices from the club, although they sure do send us mail when its time to pay up each year.

he directed me to a very small paper posted notice about a foot square that I could barely see, let alone read.. Sure enough, I was in defiance of club rules, that had changed since I last used my long guns.. So yeah I was wrong, packed up all my guns, threw them in the truck and just left, not wanting things to escalate.. Guess i need to read every little scrap of paper each rage visit in case something new is added that I am unaware of.. Having a range thats usually barren of anyone else shooting is a good thing usually, but then you don't get to know whats happening as far as changes, and one could certainly be out of compliance and not realize it.. Yes, I was wrong, but crap, I pay like everyone else, and am a member -he didn't need to make me feel like an idiot.... bob
    rotorhead1026 and Talldog like this.

Sounds like he needs to work on his people skills.
    M1911A1, Hoganbeg, baren and 6 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Yes, I was wrong, but crap, I pay like everyone else, and am a member -he didn't need to make me feel like an idiot.... bob
    Tact sometimes seems a rare superpower at some ranges. Some guys can be real blowhards over minor things. Often they’re not as skilled, knowledgeable, or safe as they imagine themselves.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh
    I'm confused , you put up your own targets and this is against policy ?

Or is the backstop that you had vs the range backstop the problem ?

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    The RSO, if that is what he is should have handled it differently.
    Folks need to be educated not scolded.
    Anytime I am an RSO. I will politely explain any infraction.
    If it reoccurs I will then ask them to leave the range.

Distinguished Member
    Blow it off. Ignorant people do ignorant things. Next time at the range ask if there have been any rule changes since the date of your last visit. That outs the burden on the ignorant.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

By you own admission you were wrong and he handled it badly. Live and learn.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Guys like him may be the reason the range is always deserted

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I'm confused too. You were using your own targets, but the rules mention backstops, not the same things. I don't know of any range that only lets you use their targets. Some don't allow realistic targets of bad guys with guns or even silhouettes, but not only using their targets. We have one unmanned range that only allows their backstops, but no restrictions on targets. They do have their own that work for me for ordinary target practice. I still use my own silhouettes for defense practice.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Our FOP range rules are posted clearly on a 3'x6' sign in reflective letters. The same range rules are posted on our website and when you become a member you have to sign that you have read and are aware of the rules. It works for us so your range/club may want to consider doing something similar to avoid problems in the future. Just my .02 worth!

Got in trouble at the range...-20191102_113137.jpg
    airslot, Old Man and PPS1980 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I'm confused too. You were using your own targets, but the rules mention backstops, not the same things. I don't know of any range that only lets you use their targets. Some don't allow realistic targets of bad guys with guns or even silhouettes, but not only using their targets. We have one unmanned range that only allows their backstops, but no restrictions on targets. They do have their own that work for me for ordinary target practice. I still use my own silhouettes for defense practice.
    ^^^^ I'm confused too.

The gun club I currently belong to is apparently similar to the OP's. I'm typically the only person on the range most days (retired and go weekday mornings). The club is not very good at communicating with our roughly 1,200 members. So I could easily envision a rule change going unnoticed by the members. New members receive a current orientation. But current members only need reorientation every three years where ALL the rules are gone over. Those that fail to get the reorientation aren't allowed to renew their memberships.

Sounds like the OP handled this well considering the lack of tact by whoever was scolding him.
    airslot, 5lima30ret and Old Man like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I, on the other hand, am hardly confused at all. The OP lives in NY. Sounds to me like simply "business as usual" NY style. Maybe I'm mistaken.

@beebee I'm in now way pounding on you...were I you though, I would have a long talk with whomever seems to be responsible for collecting dues before I rewarded their bad behavior.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    @beebee sorry you and your wife had your time at the range ruined by the less than tactful person. I hope you were able to go back on another day to complete your long arm firing.
    airslot and 5lima30ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    At one sportsmen's club I did range maintenance as a volunteer, basically on the handgun range and occasionally on the rifle range. Occasionally there would be individuals that would complain that the range was closed, few if any would offer to help which would have hastened the reopening. There were also occasions when I paid out of pocket for materials and never asked for reimbursement.

At the monthly meetings there were individuals that would attend just to complain about range closures and why wasn't the maintenance done during the week days as opposed to the weekends.

Signing in by all members was required before range usage and there was a requirement at that point to read the rules. Apparently reading comprehension was an obstacle to certain individuals of the membership or they simply ignored to do so.

Basically I now utilize my own private range on my own property. Its rather basic but there is one advantage I don't have to tolerate others!
    ButtShot14 and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member
    Being the RSO isn't fun and games. But it's no justification for being an ass either. Now you know.
    airslot, TimBob and spclopr8tr like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links