Good first revolver - Page 2

Good first revolver

This is a discussion on Good first revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh well ... I'll provide some illustrative photos. Same ol' guns as always. Favorite of all time and was my first revolver at 18 years ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Good first revolver

Senior Moderator
    Oh well ... I'll provide some illustrative photos.

Same ol' guns as always.

Favorite of all time and was my first revolver at 18 years old, the Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special

.22 Long Rifle K-Frame goodness, this K-22 Masterpiece 4-inch which later became the Smith & Wesson Model 18.

For something with more punch, the .357 Magnum is the right prescription for general purpose handgunning chores. The N-Frame Model 27 (or the Model 28 mentioned above) is my very favorite.

Here's a dirty nickel K-Frame 4-inch Model 19 .357 Magnum, my second favorite way to do .357 Magnum.

.357 Magnums, nice in all sorts of K, L, and N frame Smith & Wessons, classic Colts too. Top to bottom: Smith & Wesson Models: 27 6-inch, 586 4-inch, 19 4-inch, 66 2 1/2-inch, 13 3-inch and two Colts: a 3 5 7 6-inch and a Python 6-inch.

Not to leave Colt out. This Officers Model Match is one gratifying revolver to shoot. This was just a spontaneous effort at 25 yards with my "standard" .38 Special hand load using mixed brass. The revolver is way more capable than is my ability to shoot it well, but it makes for a grand time at the range any time it comes out to play.

Personal opinion ahead.

Stay completely away from any Smith & Wesson J-Frame snub or any other brand's similar revolver. Disregard any "lightweight," "airweight" or similar feature. Don't saddle yourself with a stunted, cramped, flea-weight revolver as a first revolver. Go with a good revolver weighing 30 oz or more. Despite what so many current generation of shooters think, a 30 to 35 ounce revolver is a medium weight handgun. Ergonomics and handling will be so much superior. The weight mitigates even the recoil of the .357 Magnum, making true enjoyment of the revolver more complete. Small snubs are specialty handguns, so convenient to hide, so light to carry. They're not so hot to master and shoot accurately, especially at any distance. It can be done, but it's a chore.

A personal favorite J-Frame snub, the Smith & Wesson Model 649 .38 Special.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I think its hard to beat a 686 or GP100.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I currently have Blackhawks in 357/9mm and 45 Colt/45acp, and a 6" S&W 27-2 357 that is a dream to shoot.
    Lever action rifles chambered in pistol cartridges, I prefer 16" barrels. You get a good boost in velocity over a 4-6" revolver in an easy handling package. Winchester, Marlin, Henry, and Rossi all make good lever guns. My opinion Henry has a better fit and finish with Rossi more on the budget end. I have had all 4 at one time and all have served me well.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I like 45 colt! But the reason could apply to almost all calibers. with a semi auto My ammo has to be between a low and high velocity to keep the slide working all the way back[low end] and not batter the frame and slide at the high end. With a revolver I only have to keep the speed up enough that the bullet makes it all the way down the bore. and limit pressure to what the gun can handle. That leaves a lot of room between plinking ammo and high end stuff. the revolver is also not picky about what it can cycle. If it fits in the cylinder it ships! Flat point, SWC, round nose, HP, wad cutter, etc. The revolver doesn't care! Even snake shot! DR

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    A good 357 combo would be a 4 inch S&W 686 (pre-lock) and a Henry Big Boy series rifle. In 44 a good S&W or Ruger revolver and the same henry in 44 Magnum. I have a 44 Magnum Ruger Vaquero I have been planning on teaming it up with a Henry Big Boy in 44 Magnum but funds have been taken by more important projects (new roof).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Man!

Y'all are recommending all the really good stuff! There's nothing left to say.
    Beg to differ, Bryan! There is more to say, and @5lima30ret said it!

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    ...If you don't have a tight budget you absolutely can't go wrong with a vintage Dan Wesson or Colt! Good luck!
    Actually, a serviceable Colt Lawman or Trooper can be had at a pretty reasonable price, and IMHO the Dan Wesson .357 Model 15-2 is the best-kept secret of the used revolver world:

Name:  DW 357_2R.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  46.1 KB

Good first revolver-dw-m15-2-right.jpg

Good first revolver-pix913567209.jpg

Shop carefully, and you can still find a pretty nice one for under $400. Quality, reliability, and accuracy that rivals anything you can find new these days for under about a grand. Plus, the versatility and novelty of interchangeable barrels!

Of course, if you want to go bigger, there's the M44:

Name:  DW44 Left.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  53.5 KB

Good first revolver-dw44-2.jpg

The Model 44 will not work too well on a tight budget, though! Still quite reasonable for what you're getting!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    Well ... Ok Jim. Ya' convinced me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

What about a 4.2" Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good first revolver-screenshot_20191108-193813_chrome_1573259984956.jpg  

My 1982 Dan Wesson 15-2 w/ 6" barrel has a better trigger than my Diamondback!
    Good first revolver-img_0784.jpg

*best $400 I have spent in recent years!
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; November 9th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I used to shoot a used Ruger Security-Six with lighter .38 loads. It's a very good revolver.

VIP Member
    My 1982 Dan Wesson 15-2 w/ 6" barrel has a better trigger than my Diamondback!
    Attachment 306090

*best $400 I have spent in recent years!
    Can't see your pic, @5lima30ret ! Did you "Go Advanced" before you attached it?
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Can't see your pic, @5lima30ret ! Did you "Go Advanced" before you attached it?
    Sorry try again! It seems to be working now.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

A 357 might be better than a 44. You might find that shooting magnum cartridges is not always fun. If you decide to shoot something lighter, 38 special is easier to find than 44 special.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Sorry try again! It seems to be working now.
    Nope! No luck!

Is it just me, or are others not seeing it, either???
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    A 357 might be better than a 44. You might find that shooting magnum cartridges is not always fun. If you decide to shoot something lighter, 38 special is easier to find than 44 special.
    Cheaper, too!!!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links