Good first revolver

Good first revolver

This is a discussion on Good first revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had a hankering that I just canít seem to shake. Seems like I have the urge to get a nice revolver. I donít ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Good first revolver

Good first revolver

I have had a hankering that I just canít seem to shake. Seems like I have the urge to get a nice revolver.
    I donít know a bunch about them. Brother had a 642 and a LCR 38 and they were fun but I donít see myself carrying one full time so foot print isnít a big deal. A nice mid size revolver seems to have my interest. OWB carry around the home stead and Sunday drives on the ranger.

357 or 44mag
    Thinking on a pistol caliber carbine as well. Something for the coyotes that come around in the winter time.

I guess what Iím asking if you could have one (to start with any way) revolver and carbine combo, what would it be and why?

Thanks.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Single or Double action?
    Makes a difference in my recommendations

Double
    bmcgilvray, Kilowatt3 and airslot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I do not carry revolvers outside the woods. I like revolvers for power. Currently have a 1965 Model 28 6" .357 and a Blackhawk 45 Colt 75" that is great with the Ruger Only loads for hogs. If you are not going to carry it anyway, single actions are a lot of fun.

edit to add: I want some more too. I would like a shorter barrel SA, Colt King Cobra, and maybe play with reloading .41 Magnum also.
    Good first revolver-revolvers.jpg
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member
    If I were to have a rifle/pistol combo, for me it would be a Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin lever action. .357, .44 mag, or .45 Colt. If I needed a double action revolver instead of the single action Blackhawk, I would maybe look for a Ruger Security Six or S&W M19 in 4" barrel.

I have single-action center-fire revolvers in .44-40, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum. I have double-action center-fire revolvers in .38 special, .357 magnum, 10mm, .44 magnum, and .454 Casull. Barrels vary from 2" to 8". I like the .45 Colt in a single-action and the .44 magnum in a double-action with six inch barrels. They are all great and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have Winchester '94 rifles in .45 Colt and .44 magnum. I have been drooling on a couple of lever-actions in .44-40 at the LGS.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    If going for a rifle/revolver combo my pick would be:
    S&W Model 629 or 69 and a Henry .44 magnum lever rifle.
    I love my Smith and Wesson's
    If rifle does not matter I like my .357 magnum Smith and Wesson Model 19 Classic

Good first revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
    I have had a hankering that I just canít seem to shake. Seems like I have the urge to get a nice revolver.
    I donít know a bunch about them. Brother had a 642 and a LCR 38 and they were fun but I donít see myself carrying one full time so foot print isnít a big deal. A nice mid size revolver seems to have my interest. OWB carry around the home stead and Sunday drives on the ranger.

357 or 44mag
    Thinking on a pistol caliber carbine as well. Something for the coyotes that come around in the winter time.

I guess what Iím asking if you could have one (to start with any way) revolver and carbine combo, what would it be and why?

Thanks.
    The best beginner revolver is a mid size.

I recommend a S&W 686 or 686+ which has great triggers.

Ruger GP100 357 Magnum.

Taurus 357 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDRGlock; November 9th, 2019 at 12:50 AM.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    In general, a K-frame Smith & Wesson. To pick a specific model, a model 15 Combat Masterpiece.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

If I were to start all over again, it would be with a .22 LR revolver to learn the mechanics of shooting revolvers well.

The K frame S&W recommendation is a good one.
    I have a Model 65 that I carry ... not often, not even frequently, but from time to time I slip the holster on and wear that one. I like it .... and I'm an excellent shot with it as well.
    Retired USAF
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    Man!

Y'all are recommending all the really good stuff! There's nothing left to say.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I would get a 686 pre lock .Classic good s&w wheel gun. And get a henry or like lever action ..That would be my go to ..Or sub a Ruger wheel gun (you call LCR 3 or speed six/sercity six whatever )
    Old Man likes this.
    ďEvery normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.Ē H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    In general, a K-frame Smith & Wesson. To pick a specific model, a model 15 Combat Masterpiece.
    Learned to shoot pistol with my Grandfather's Combat Masterpiece.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ruger Six Series or GP-100 and S&W K-frames are excellent choices like the others said. If you don't have a tight budget you absolutely can't go wrong with a vintage Dan Wesson or Colt! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links