Gearing up for retirement/dropping guns and calibers.

This is a discussion on Gearing up for retirement/dropping guns and calibers. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I sold one of my sons the last 9mm I owned, the HK P30sk. Divested myself of all my 22's last year, evenly given ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Gearing up for retirement/dropping guns and calibers.

Well, I sold one of my sons the last 9mm I owned, the HK P30sk. Divested myself of all my 22's last year, evenly given to all 3 of my boys. As I near retirement I will not have the luxury of multiple calibers or really the desire to stay proficient with different guns. Its not just guns I have a strong desire to live a simpler and less expensive life when work ends. Some guns just have a real need and others more an interest. My GP100 is my woods walking sidearm and its never going anywhere until I can no longer lift it. The 4" S&W model 10 is my wife's traveling and HD gun so likewise it stays put.

The 642, well, most know how I feel about the utility of that firearm so it will stay long after the 380's go down the road. In retirement I will have little need for a super small NPE gun. The 642 carried AIWB hides well enough for my daily life without the hassle of the work environment and being "made".
    The 1911 45 commander? I just like shooting it and carrying it so much that I am committed to get proficient with the "muscle memory" to make carrying a 1911 work. At least that is my current track.

Its looking like 38 special, 357 magnum and 45 acp will go into retirement with me next year. Fortunately for me I have 3 gun owning sons so much of it gets sold to them for a low price (to fund ammo) or just given to them. I am happy to contribute to their shooting experiences and collections.

I am getting off the shiny new object (to me) merry-go-round and I really don't care if the next 9mm holds 27 rounds and is the size of a quarter or if the newest night sights can be seen from space or even if the "new" 10 grain 357 gets 10,000 FPS. I like all kinds of guns but, I don't need or cannot afford to own them all.
    Metal,wood and big hunks of lead is my future. Not a bad future at all to my way of thinking.

I would def still hang onto anything "evil" and at least some mags hold over 10 rounds even if you sell the gun so if the worst happens you still have normal mags for a gun even if it sold with 10 rounders
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

When we retired, more than 12 years ago, I thinned down slightly. We sold our 3,200sf house and moved full-time into a 188sf RV. Smaller gun safe, one fewer calibers, so one handgun gone. And I kinda miss it.
    forester58, G26Raven, OD* and 2 others like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I went the other way, I've bought more guns going into, and being in, retirement than I had since I was in High School.
    In HS a salesman at a local Pawn Shop/Gun Store took a liking to me. I bought and traded dozens of handguns but that was in the '70's. Today they would have me committed and my mom, who signed for all of the 4473's, locked up! Different times then for sure.

Forester58, you have the advantage on me of many years of firearms experience. Despite the fact that I am retired, since I have been shooting for far less time than you, it's taken me awhile to figure out what works for me and what does not. I've thinned out my herd to 9mm, .45 acp, 10 mm, and .357/38.

I could do with less calibers but 1) I really dislike selling any guns and 2) although I have not been a firearms aficionado for very long, I've been around long enough to remember the last ammo shortage and believe there is a distinct advantage to having a couple of different calibers for when things go sideways.

I am not sure how I will dispose of my guns when I start to get to the point where I am less mobile. I am hoping that at least one or two of our nephews move to gun friendly states. If that doesn't happen I may sell them and donate the money to GOA.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

I’m at the same place. Pondering what to do with my stuff. Going to be a little bit complicated.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    All my guns are going to my twin sons
    As long as they marry smart

Quite the contrary (imagine that), since retirement I have increased the number of firearms and calibers. I have the time to indulge now. I have no reason to "thin down" the herd. In fact, I am struggling to resist building more AR uppers in various calibers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Don't underestimate the versatility of a good .22lr revolver. A LCR or Wrangler can be a useful walking companion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    There was a thread a while back about what 3 guns you'd keep.

My choices were conceptually similar to yours - full size semi, full size magnum revolver, pocket revolver.
    Nix, OD*, Texas Red and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    Don't underestimate the versatility of a good .22lr revolver. A LCR or Wrangler can be a useful walking companion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I spent many years woods walking with a 22 single six which was my only handgun for a very long time. That was before I lived in big bear country so now my woods gun is the GP100.

VIP Member
    forester58,

I reply from the perspective of a healthy, long ago retired 77 year old. over the 50 years I have owned my share of handguns. Sometimes I owned several, and all my guns were of good quality. Names like Beretta, H&K, Colt, Ruger, S&W, Remington, Sig, Browning, and now Walther were on those guns. As my age increased and my strength decreased my financial growth ebbed. Frugality is. natural consequence of retirement for all but the very wealthy. Every gun I have owned since retiring in 2012 at age 70 has been carefully decided to meet my financial and physical limits. I do not and cannot buy a gun for $700 if I can get the same performance for my needs for $350.

I fought with a M1911 with 7 rounds in it and 1w on the belt. I never saw that as inadequate as a secondary weapon in war. I gave up war fighting in 1970. As a civilian I have never seen myself as engaging in running gun battles. I only wanted to be able to defend myself, and that meant an instantaneous hostile encounter or extracting myself from a fight I could not win. I am a realist.

So with the ballistic and bullet design advancements in 9mm ammo I settled on it. Then advancing arthritis of the hands pushed me down to 380 ACP. Hand therapy and continual exercise got be back to 9mm. I wanted one gun that would allow me to do the deed if and when necessary. I tried several within my budget from M&P, S&W, Ruger, and Walther. I wanted reliability and accuracy at an affordable (for me) price. All of those manufacturers made such pistols. I wanted a semi as I prefer the over wheel guns for several reasons, but not germain to the point.

I bought a Walther PPS M2 because it met my needs and wants. Cost was well within range. Its ergonomics are perfect for my arthritic hands. It is an excellent gun. Its capacity of 6, 7, or 8 plus 1 is fine with me. It in 7+1 is my EDC. I carry an extra magazine of 6 or 7 rounds. I use the 6 round mag when I need deeper concealment. I am totally comfortable with my choice and do not feel the need for more armament.

I am not suggesting Walther ought to be you choice. My point is that you expressed a condition I have dealt with so I gave details. There is life after multiple guns and multiple calibers. Think it thorough and you will do fine. PM me if you want an old guys comments not advice.
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.,,,,,,,,,,,,, Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

I retired the last time in 2010 and decided to downsize my gun accumulation. So far, I am up seven guns.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I'm in the process selling of reloading equipment and components for center fire rifles along with several target & hunting rifles. I've decided that handguns and related equipment are keepers for the foreseeable future.
    Goldy49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    forester58,

I reply from the perspective of a healthy, long ago retired 77 year old. over the 50 years I have owned my share of handguns. Sometimes I owned several, and all my guns were of good quality. Names like Beretta, H&K, Colt, Ruger, S&W, Remington, Sig, Browning, and now Walther were on those guns. As my age increased and my strength decreased my financial growth ebbed. Frugality is. natural consequence of retirement for all but the very wealthy. Every gun I have owned since retiring in 2012 at age 70 has been carefully decided to meet my financial and physical limits. I do not and cannot buy a gun for $700 if I can get the same performance for my needs for $350.

I fought with a M1911 with 7 rounds in it and 1w on the belt. I never saw that as inadequate as a secondary weapon in war. I gave up war fighting in 1970. As a civilian I have never seen myself as engaging in running gun battles. I only wanted to be able to defend myself, and that meant an instantaneous hostile encounter or extracting myself from a fight I could not win. I am a realist.

So with the ballistic and bullet design advancements in 9mm ammo I settled on it. Then advancing arthritis of the hands pushed me down to 380 ACP. Hand therapy and continual exercise got be back to 9mm. I wanted one gun that would allow me to do the deed if and when necessary. I tried several within my budget from M&P, S&W, Ruger, and Walther. I wanted reliability and accuracy at an affordable (for me) price. All of those manufacturers made such pistols. I wanted a semi as I prefer the over wheel guns for several reasons, but not germain to the point.

I bought a Walther PPS M2 because it met my needs and wants. Cost was well within range. Its ergonomics are perfect for my arthritic hands. It is an excellent gun. Its capacity of 6, 7, or 8 plus 1 is fine with me. It in 7+1 is my EDC. I carry an extra magazine of 6 or 7 rounds. I use the 6 round mag when I need deeper concealment. I am totally comfortable with my choice and do not feel the need for more armament.

I am not suggesting Walther ought to be you choice. My point is that you expressed a condition I have dealt with so I gave details. There is life after multiple guns and multiple calibers. Think it thorough and you will do fine. PM me if you want an old guys comments not advice.
    Thanks for the feed back. That is essentially where I am. I have spent a great deal of money on things I liked to own but, none of those guns ever really gave me any more advantage over another like my simple 642. I surely have owned guns I should have kept, not only for there financial value now but, many fit what I really need perfectly but, ever chasing rainbows of wants over needs. Don't get me wrong I would love to be wealthy enough to buy whatever I wanted but, I am not so it comes down to what do I really need for self defense? We all know that new guns cost a lot more than the gun itself with holsters,magazines,etc,etc,etc.

I get the more is better thing, I really do,but life sometimes has you make do with what works...good enough. I have a lot of confidence in my abilities with a simple old model 10 or 642 to tell the truth and my 1911 seems like a war machine by comparison even with the lowly (by today's standards) 8+1 capacity.
    1942bull, drmordo and scottync like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links