44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear - Page 2

44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear

This is a discussion on 44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by muzzleblast If he had a valid brown/grizzly bear tag... and since he wasn't hunting over a "baited" gut pile... then, yes. Otherwise, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: 44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    If he had a valid brown/grizzly bear tag... and since he wasn't hunting over a "baited" gut pile... then, yes. Otherwise, he would have been legally obligated to surrender the hide, skull, and claws to the AK Dept. of Fish and Game.

As far as the "meat", bear meat is not generally considered as edible (unlike moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer, etc.) A coastal bear that has been feeding on salmon is actually remarkably nasty. On the other hand, an inland bear that has been feeding on the low-bush blueberries is a delicacy.
    How about a bear who has fed on slow hunters?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Well, I will likely get flamed but, I carry a 5" GP100 357 magnum loaded with 200 grain hardcast lead. Why? because all kidding aside shot placement extremely quickly and as much penetration as my choice can muster is what I (hope) will be sufficient. As an aside I always carry bear spray as well and if my hands are free a Remington 870 loaded with Brenneke black magic slugs. Unfortunately, most times my hands are not free to tote the 12 gauge. It lives under the seat of my truck mostly.

Just last month a woman I sometimes work with stopped on the road and jumped into the trees below the road to pee and when she came back up on the road there was a Grizzly standing next to the drivers door. Smart lady still had her bear spray on her belt and gave him a blast. It worked at least long enough for her to get back in and drive off. I never even leave my truck without it working here.
    I won’t flame you for those answers. Hope you never have to use either one. Kudos to your lady friend. Gives me shivers.....
    forester58 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah....slow hunters seasoned with bear spray?
    OldVet likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I’ve been shooting the .44 Magnum for many, many years. I also hunt with it and have taken several deer and even a very small bear with the .44 Magnum. I would be crapping nickels if I saw that thing coming towards me! If I were to ever be hunting where grizzlies or brown bears might be encountered, I’d probably be packing something like the .454! LOL
    Rockymonster likes this.

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Statistically, black bears are more predatory toward humans than are brown/grizzly bears. Of course Timothy Treadwell being one notable exception...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
    Struckat likes this.
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    I won’t flame you for those answers. Hope you never have to use either one. Kudos to your lady friend. Gives me shivers.....
    Me too. It wears on you having to be so hyper vigilant all the time during those peak bear conflict times of spring and fall. Bears here compared to Alaska are smaller but meaner because food is so scarce during much of the year and they are overpopulated which makes things even worse. No way I would hunt the places I work anymore because the bears run toward gunfire now. They learned quick that gunfire leads to food. Last year a co-worker had 4 bears come in to the deer he shot before he could even get it all quartered and tied up on packs. He got away with two hind quarters and his butt intact. I guess I am not tough enough anymore but, I get my meat from the butcher these days.

Nix
    A Game and Wildlife officer (IIRC) once said that his rule was "4-3-1". Meaning 40+ caliber, 300 grain bullet, 1000 fps. He seemed to know what he was talking about and I have More or less followed that advice in Grizzly country.

And +1 for the pepper spray. With or without a firearm.
    forester58 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    A Game and Wildlife officer (IIRC) once said that his rule was "4-3-1". Meaning 40+ caliber, 300 grain bullet, 1000 fps. He seemed to know what he was talking about and I have More or less followed that advice in Grizzly country.

And +1 for the pepper spray. With or without a firearm.
    I have heard that and I think its a pretty good rule. A 44 magnum loaded up with 300 grain hardcast is probably as good as it gets in a hand cannon. I am just not very good with that setup as far as fast and accurate. I think the 44 has given me a flinch that is tough to break to be honest. Maybe I should give it another hard try.
    Nix likes this.

Nix

I've heard lots of stories. ol' Elmer Kieth relates one of a cowboy dropping two grizzlies with a 45 Colt SAA.

You could start with 44 Specials and work your way up to bear loads. I practice with mid-range 240gn cast bullets. Helps with that flinch, which seems easy to develop with full mag loads. And recoil control has always been tough for me.

But I still love 44 Magnum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Iffn a 44 mag don’t do it, all hope is lost.
    Scotty, I’m right there with you.
    scottync likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Well, sure, a 44 mag might kill a bear but, will only give you a lot of recoil and flash and make follow up shots difficult.
    With today's modern ballistic magic a 9mm will essentially do the same, in fact, no bears have ever been able to distinguish the difference.
    Shot placement and follow up shots matter more than caliber.

heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend.
    that's funny.

I carry a .44 magnum in black bear country and a .454 Casull in brown bear country.

A guy I met at the LGS who told me he was in the woods during hunting season. He heard a shot and a couple of minutes later was charged by a black bear. He emptied his .44 magnum at it and it died at his feet. Soon, another guy showed up and said he had shot it with his .300 Winchester magnum. He showed me a picture of it. It was a 150 pound black bear.

The LGS owner and his son were deer hunting in Central Oregon. His son walked across a small clearing to a downed large pine tree. A 300 pound black bear stood up immediately across the tree from him and he shot it point blank with his .30-06. The bear started screaming and trying to circle behind him. It took two more shots at close range to stop it.
    CDRGlock and Nmuskier like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

One of my old 44 mag loads was 300 grain in 44 mag. It was around 1,160 to 1,175 FPS. It's a little hard on a old man's hand.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I've never hunted bear; Black or other. But, I've been around allot of Black Bear and even had one stand up on its hind legs and scream at me. With my Winchester 270 in hand, I felt no threat, and just stood there and calmly told the bear to move along. The bear complied and he lived to enjoy another day.

As to the 44 mag.. My Ruger in 44 mag. is my sidearm, of choose, when exploring the woods in non-hunting season, or when fallowing up a friends wounded deer or wild hog, or other critter.

As such I've shot many deer and wild boar with the 44 mag. Loaded with Speer Gold Dot 240 gr HP; Muzzle velocity of 1400 FPS and energy of 1044 ft. lbs. I’ve seen 300 lb. wild boar angry and full or rage, charging me, hit the dirt sliding with one shot to the head.

Which brings me to my point.. Shot placement and penetration. No different from hunting, only in a self-defensive, scenario with a “large” angry full of rage critter charging you, accuracy is something that only comes from practice. So whatever you buy to carry in the woods, get some serious practice in with it.

In Ruidoso NM we go Jeeping and hiking a lot. I asked the owner of the hiking store about bears and he said:
    " I sell a bear spray that smells like peppermint. I also recommend to tie little bells on your hiking boots to warn the bears you are in the area. I asked how to tell if a bear was in the area, he said look for bear poop. You can tell its bear poop cause it smells like candy canes and has little bells in it." Couldn't resist telling that one.
    LimaCharlie and msgt/ret like this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links