44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear

This is a discussion on 44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting reading: https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2018/0...ongest_24.html I have read the full story. It was a 5-7 minute horrifying nightmare. That big grizzly was gonna kill both of them. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: 44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear

Interesting reading: https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2018/0...ongest_24.html I have read the full story. It was a 5-7 minute horrifying nightmare. That big grizzly was gonna kill both of them. Can you spell shot placement?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 Magnum. Will it kill a big bear-r654uvm.jpg  

If a man has only one gun, he probably can use it...well

Spelling "shot placement" is probably a lot easier for that old boy than changing his underwear for the photo session!
    OldChap, OlCop and ca survivor like this.

Nix
    Nice find!

.44 Mag is my pistol of choice for bear defense. Convenient and shootable.

I am currently messing around with .41 Magnum ammo, too. Given the slight difference in the cartridges (.410 vs .429), I expect a well-stoked .41 would be a reasonable choice, too. 'Reasonable' meaning 'better than a sharp stick'.
    OD*, msgt/ret, ETXhiker and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Answer to the question is Yes a .44 magnum will kill a bear.
    Shot placement and size of the bear will determine how many rounds will be needed.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.

Nix
    Nice looking moose there, too.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Bear meat and moose meat yum.
    I wonder in a situation like that after the wardens call it a good kill can you keep the bear meat?
    Heck can you keep the skin? I would want that as a rug in my home.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing the article. I lived in Alaska for 15 years and loved hunting, fishing, hiking. Ultimately, 8-weeks of summer and 7 consecutive months with snow on the ground became un-"bear"-able and I moved back south. My preferred sidearm was a Taurus Raging Bull.454 Casull with hard cast, wide meplat 320 grain bullets. Basically, it is a belt carried .45-70 wheelgun.

It is fact that .44 Mags have defensively taken several brown/grizzly bears. As mentioned above, it is all about shot placement and penetration.

Although 9mm worked here, it wouldn't be my preferred choice...

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-9mm-pistol/
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

I don't have many bears to worry about here. I had a friend who had a small ranch in Alaska and he always carried a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs.
    muzzleblast likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    ...I wonder in a situation like that after the wardens call it a good kill can you keep the bear meat?
    Heck can you keep the skin? I would want that as a rug in my home...
    If he had a valid brown/grizzly bear tag... and since he wasn't hunting over a "baited" gut pile... then, yes. Otherwise, he would have been legally obligated to surrender the hide, skull, and claws to the AK Dept. of Fish and Game.

As far as the "meat", bear meat is not generally considered as edible (unlike moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer, etc.) A coastal bear that has been feeding on salmon is actually remarkably nasty. On the other hand, an inland bear that has been feeding on the low-bush blueberries is a delicacy.
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    If he had a valid brown/grizzly bear tag... and since he wasn't hunting over a "baited" gut pile... then, yes. Otherwise, he would have been legally obligated to surrender the hide, skull, and claws to the AK Dept. of Fish and Game.

As far as the "meat", bear meat is not generally considered as edible (unlike moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer, etc.) A coastal bear that has been feeding on salmon is actually remarkably nasty. On the other hand, an inland bear that has been feeding on the low-bush blueberries is a delicacy.

Having taken a bear (lawfully, in season, with a license, etc), and having gone to the trouble of dressing out the bear and harvesting the meat properly, all I will say is that I will never go to so much trouble for such a disappointment at the table. Smelly, greasy, foul tasting, aftertaste lasting for hours. Just plain nasty! I will allow others to correct my perceptions, but I will never go out of my way to harvest a bear again.
    muzzleblast and CDRGlock like this.

Iffn a 44 mag don’t do it, all hope is lost.
    muzzleblast and svgheartland like this.

Well, sure, a 44 mag might kill a bear but, will only give you a lot of recoil and flash and make follow up shots difficult.
    With today's modern ballistic magic a 9mm will essentially do the same, in fact, no bears have ever been able to distinguish the difference.
    Shot placement and follow up shots matter more than caliber.

heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Well, sure, a 44 mag might kill a bear but, will only give you a lot of recoil and flash and make follow up shots difficult.
    With today's modern ballistic magic a 9mm will essentially do the same, in fact, no bears have ever been able to distinguish the difference.

drmordo and tns0038 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post

Hey forester.....you have grizzlies up in your area.....what are you carrying for protection?
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Hey forester.....you have grizzlies up in your area.....what are you carrying for protection?
    Well, I will likely get flamed but, I carry a 5" GP100 357 magnum loaded with 200 grain hardcast lead. Why? because all kidding aside shot placement extremely quickly and as much penetration as my choice can muster is what I (hope) will be sufficient. As an aside I always carry bear spray as well and if my hands are free a Remington 870 loaded with Brenneke black magic slugs. Unfortunately, most times my hands are not free to tote the 12 gauge. It lives under the seat of my truck mostly.

Just last month a woman I sometimes work with stopped on the road and jumped into the trees below the road to pee and when she came back up on the road there was a Grizzly standing next to the drivers door. Smart lady still had her bear spray on her belt and gave him a blast. It worked at least long enough for her to get back in and drive off. I never even leave my truck without it working here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links