Big chain stores selling guns.

This is a discussion on Big chain stores selling guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems that every time there's a public shooting certain entities rush to be first in the virtue-signaling line. Lately it's been large chain stores ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Big chain stores selling guns.

It seems that every time there's a public shooting certain entities rush to be first in the virtue-signaling line. Lately it's been large chain stores like Dick's or Walmart. When it happens, a flurry of angry posts show up on various forums. While it's annoying how quickly some CEOs bow to the anti-gun Twitter mob, I take a different approach.

For many years, big chain stores have put smaller stores out of business. Walmart buried K-Mart. K-Mart overpowered W.T Grant. Grant's pushed out Woolworths. The stores get bigger and the smaller ones disappear. The way I see it, if chain stores don't want to sell guns or ammo, that's a boost to the local gun shops. I for one, appreciate the personal service I get from the small shop 10 miles down the road. OK, maybe I could save a few pennies on ammo at the Walmart but I like the fact that I can stop in and get good advice and conversation at a local gun shop.

Does anybody else see it this way or am I just a lone wolf?

Senior Moderator
    I've long enjoyed driving past WalMart in order to trade with a local establishment, be it gun store, hardware store, or automotive store.

It's annoying that in many cases the locals are gone, swallowed up by a behemoth giving a poor shopping experience.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    My main objection to the sellout CEO's, is the boost their actions give to the anti-gunners and their propaganda. But you are correct, that it does give a lot of business back to the "real" gun shops. Personally, I think a lot of people are starting to see this virtue signaling for what it is. I hope.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Rural King has vowed not to cave in to the politics and support their customer base.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Name:  th (4).jpg
Views: 48
Size:  9.3 KB

I buy so little at Walmart as to be almost nothing. Occasionally I stop in and buy inexpensive jugs of Marvel Mystery Oil or some other additives, but other than walking past the ammo shelves, that's about as close to guns/ammo as I get.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    I'm at the point where I would rather patronize local businesses and avoid walmart as much as possible.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Ex Member
    I have bought every gun I ever owned from a LGS. I buy my ammo at one too. They not the big box or internet sellers are the backbone of the business. At least that is how I see it.

VIP Member
    Chain stores have always been the bad guys as they lower prices and drive out the independent stores. That said, the Kroger store in our area is the closest to decent that we have, so we do patronize it fairly regularly, but only for small grocery lists.

As said before, I do not go to Walmart - unless there is something I simply cannot get elsewhere without driving an hour one way. That happened a week or so ago when I needed a new old fashioned turkey roaster and an open roasting pan with a rack. The reviews for the roaster on Amazon were not good at all and there is not one other store left in our area that sells kitchen stuff.

Other than that rare exception, I do not give my money to Walmart. We have a Dunham's and a Rural King "in town" and visit each upon rare occasions. However, building a personal relationship with store owners is very important to us and most of the time we patronize our locally owned gun stores for guns. Now that Gramps is no longer reloading, we buy ammo in bulk on line except for times when I want to try out one box of several brands when testing a new gun for its "food preferences." Really good holsters are not to be found in any store that I've been in for the past several years, so those are custom ordered.

I'm old enough to fondly remember the local canned goods, produce, bakery, 'penny candy' and butcher shops on the corners of the streets in our city neighborhood. All are long gone, and for most people those family businesses are not even a memory now.

Let the giant chain stores fake social consciousness. In women's language: "FINE, JUST FINE!"
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    No Rural Kings in this region. Guess I ought to visit one sometime when I'm in Tennessee visiting the granddaughters.

Just to see what they're all about. I'm guessing that they are like Canadian Tire. I've been to those ... in Canada, not in Texas.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I think the whole big box vs. small shop equation is a lot more complicated than decisions not sell guns. First, internet sales have most of the brick and mortar stores, large and small, in trouble. Also, a lot of the success/failure of brick and mortar stores has to do with commercial leasing prices, customer traffic, etc.

My guess is the cause and effect is the other way around: Gun buyers were already going to LGSs and buying online and the big box stores really got out of selling guns because is was no longer profitable. The virtue signalling amounted to publicity stunts.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    You may have something there. My problem with the gun racks at the "big box stores" has been that they don't stock anything I want so never felt inclined to buy guns from them. I'd buy the odd box of cheap-o 9mm or .22 Long Rifle from WalMart when I was coerced into going there by Mrs. BMc. but that's about it.

I've not been to a Walmart since before they made the big deal about "handgun ammunition" and its discontinuance as a stocking item after the El Paso shooting. Don't know what would be found at their sporting goods counter.

Don't _ really _ care _ either.

Administrator
    Interesting thoughts.

I always try to buy first at my local small businesses if possible.

On the flip side of the coin, it's possible to really take advantage of Walmart and their Free Delivery while that lasts.

We just ordered 6 fifty pound bags of Rock Salt for around $12.50 per bag and Free Delivery.

Those bags will be on my front porch in about 2 days.

After having just mostly healed up after a blown out back....somebody else can drag those out of the vehicle & lug those up 15 steps
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Interesting thoughts.

I always try to buy first at my local small businesses if possible.

On the flip side of the coin, it's possible to really take advantage of Walmart and their Free Delivery while that lasts.

We just ordered 6 fifty pound bags of Rock Salt for around $12.50 per bag and Free Delivery.

Those bags will be on my front porch in about 2 days.

After having just mostly healed up after a blown out back....somebody else can drag those out of the vehicle & lug those up 15 steps
    I hope they don't just leave them at the curb!
    QKShooter likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Name:  th (4).jpg
Views: 48
Size:  9.3 KB

I buy so little at Walmart as to be almost nothing. Occasionally I stop in and buy inexpensive jugs of Marvel Mystery Oil or some other additives, but other than walking past the ammo shelves, that's about as close to guns/ammo as I get.
    Same here. Nearly the only thing I buy at WM is Mobil 1 oil, because nobody can touch them on price. I gave up buying any ammo from them after the shenanigans that were played during the Great Rimfire Ammo Drought during the Obama administration.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The local gun stores here are too high on ammo by far. Sorry. Can't/won't do it.

Wal Mart is the cheapest locally, while it lasts, Rural King a bit higher.

I get mine from the internet, for the most part, unless it is a quick stop before some range time, then it is Wal Mart or Rural King.

Wal Mart is the only local grocery store, so that is where we get the lion's share of our groceries. You play the cards you are dealt.
    Kenny53, OldVet and airslot like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links