Most useful Ar15 caliber (not 556)

This is a discussion on Most useful Ar15 caliber (not 556) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking in to my next AR upper build. I have a .556 16Ē upper right now with a decent scope. But 556 has its limits ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Most useful Ar15 caliber (not 556)

Looking in to my next AR upper build. I have a .556 16Ē upper right now with a decent scope. But 556 has its limits on one shot stops and the scope while is great it does fog up when changing climates (ie hot to cold). I have been kicking around the idea of building a new upper for it. Something in a ďtruck gunĒ category, iron sights 200 yards and in. I canít hunt deer with a rifle so just coyotes and other varmints are all I would be shooting now. But would like to use it on a hog hunt as well in the future.

I donít reload or plan to start.
    I want to use it on my current rifle lower so 16Ē barrel
    Canít have a suppressor either in this state so thatís out as well.

Calibers Iím considering
    300 black out
    7.62x39
    450 bushmaster.

Cost of ammo and availability are pretty big factors for me. Mostly a availability. I had a 25/06 loved that gun but never could find ammo for it.

The only non 5.56 calibers I am interested in are:
    .224 Valkyrie and .50 Beowulf. Maybe .458 SOCOM. I handload so ammo cost is not much of an issue. Component costs for a build in the .458 or .50 are however.

All three of those will work fine on hogs. Really, the variety of guns for hog hunting is vast. I have seen everything from .17HMR to .50 Beo used down here. I just use my Blackhawk 45 Colt myself. Since the variety of guns for hogs is so vast, it is jokingly used as an excuse to justify purchases. I have heard many guys exclaim, and have done so myself, "Well, I can always use it for hogs!".
    Nix likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I would go with 7.62x39 based on what you say.
    Pete63 and BIGSAM like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rotorflyr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    I would go with 7.62x39 based on what you say.
    I don't necessarily disagree, BUT it seems (with a couple of exceptions) that AR's in x39 are problematic at best (especially those running on a standard AR lower)....from the list, I'd either go with 6.8 or 300 BO which ever is more available around the OP
    5lima30ret and Havok like this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Me, I'd try a creedmore or a pistol caliber. That's just me though....

Out of those options, I would go with either the 300 BO or the 6.8 calibers.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, BUT it seems (with a couple of exceptions) that AR's in x39 are problematic at best (especially those running on a standard AR lower)....from the list, I'd either go with 6.8 or 300 BO which ever is more available around the OP
    Agreed on the x39ís. The word on the street is not good on those, never has been. One that functions is very rare and a freak of nature. 300 BO is only worth a look, IMHO, if youíre gonna sling a can on it. 6.8 is my vote.

I hate to be one of those guys that suggest an option that you didnít list, but a quality AR10 in 308 seems like a useful, working manís rifle. The 6.8 hasnít rendered the 308 as obsolete as some would have us believe. 308 has been doin it a long long time.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    I've had a number of 7.62x39 AR's. The problem I always ran into is the Magazine. Now If you order like a Palmetto or one of the ones that take actual AK mags that's one thing. And in all honesty just go buy an AK.

300 Black out I have 4 of them. They can do quiet a bit, but I don't think they are all they are cracked up to be unless your running a PDW gun. 6mmx45mm is actually a pretty interesting caliber but you need to reload for it. I would say 6.8 SPC would be my next caliber but ammo is very expensive and limited in bullet weights.

With modern bullet technology, such as Barnes solid copper bullets and trophy bonded bear claw bullet the 5.56 will do a lot of things across a wide spectrum. I have shot deer at 200 yards with 70 grain solid copper and the deer drops. 77 OTM bullets are always a fan favorite, IMHO 69 grain is kind of that bullet that can due just about anything.

The .223/5.56 should be more than ample for "coyotes and other varmints," but if you're just looking for more oomph, look at the 6.5 Grendel. Barrels/uppers are readily available, as is ammo. Add a Grendel bolt/BCG and a few mags and you're good to go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

5.56 works very well at one stop shots on coyotes, 2 legged predators, and even hogs ...with the proper ammo! OTOH, if you are talking deer, elk, etc I would lean towards the .30 cal choices. Have you considered a scout type bolt action rifle in 7.62? That would be a solid choice for anything that walks in the lower 48. Just my .02 worth!
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

450 BM, go big or stay on the porch.
    Pete63 and Henry9008 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Personally, if I were not going to reload, I would stick with 5.56 and just buy more effective ammo and plan on double-tapping. Or get a binary trigger while they are still legal. Two hits with of 5.56 would beat one hit with any of those others and 5.56 is generally going to be more available.

The real answer would be an AR-10.
    Pete63 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Let's not forget OP is looking at an AR-15 upper build, not a new rifle of some other make. One big advantage of the AR-15 is it's like the old Thompson Contender--swap barrels and you have a different gun. Some calibers may require different BCGs and/or magazines to match the different caliber barrel, but there is a wide selection of calibers available that do not require any "mods" to the basic AR lower or upper.

And then again, one can get a little crazy and opt for a non-SAAMI wildcat like the 6mm Mongoose, a converted 5.56 round, but reloading is a must for that.

Mongoose case on left-
    Name:  cases.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  Mongoose2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  38.4 KB
    Stirling XD, msgt/ret and MMinSC like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    One shot stops, the holy grail of self defense, and quite elusive. Based on Greg Ellifritz's study on the effectiveness of handgun calibers, I doubt the effectiveness of rifle calibers are quite similar, no significant difference between calibers. Rifles, as a group, are already much more effective than handguns in stopping a threat. Unfortunately, the link to the Youtube page is now private.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Moderator
    If you're not reloading, you'll pay dearly for those "designer" rounds. 7.62x39 wins on cost and availability, at the price of reliability in a standard AR lower. Beyond that, of the rounds listed by the OP the only one I've seen in the gun stores here in the East Valley (Phx area) is .300 BO. .450 Bushhamster may as well be a unicorn!
    msgt/ret and Pete63 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links