OTIS EarShield Review

OTIS EarShield Review

This is a discussion on OTIS EarShield Review within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A mention on DC and good reviews led me to purchase the OTIS EarShield. Normally I wouldn't purchase something like this, no matter how good ...

Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By SAXDM9
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By BamaT
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By BamaT
  • 1 Post By SAXDM9
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 3 Post By BamaT
  • 2 Post By BCC73
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By entertainment72

Thread: OTIS EarShield Review

OTIS EarShield Review

A mention on DC and good reviews led me to purchase the OTIS EarShield. Normally I wouldn't purchase something like this, no matter how good a bargain. I'm a little tired of pushing wax further into my ears with plugs. I'm a little tired of wearing heavy cans over my ears. The OTIS EarShield looks like a potential solution. At $15, the price pulled me in for a try. I'm glad it did. These are pretty nifty. Note: I paid full price for these and have no relationship with the seller or manufacturer.

OTIS EarShield Review-img_8253.jpg

I first tried the EarShields to reduce the impact on my ears of the way-over-the-top t.v. volume in my in-law's den. Following the simple instructions, I fitted these to my head and ears. The head band seems too small to go over my head and square up on my ear canals. But the noise reduction is great as long as I keep these in place. Next test was blowing leaves with my big Stihl BR backpack blower. Admittedly it isn't very loud but, mounted right behind my head, noise reduction is needed. These OTIS EarShield didn't work as well on this use. I think the problem mainly was because I didn't get the headband to stay atop my head. It instead landed back on my neck and was bumping the blower's frame and transmitting the noise through vibration to the headband. I had a similar mixed success with chainsawing. The chainsaw is significantly louder than my blower. The OTIS EarShield did a fine job reducing the noise to my ears only so long as I could keep the ear shield on my ear canals.

OTIS EarShield Review-img_8255.jpg

A cool feature of the OTIS EarShield is how they fold. They're very lightweight and to also have them fold so compactly is a real bonus. They slip into a shirt pocket with no problem, and take up next to no room at all in my range bag.

In early uses over the past two weeks I'd been frustrated with the fit on my OTIS EarShield. The headband didn't seem large enough for my big head to keep the headband over the top and the small cups on my ear canals. Today three of us spent a few hours shooting 9mm at paper targets at the range. This time I tried expanding the ear shields a little more to fit them onto my head better. It worked pretty well. I wore the OTIS EarShield the duration of today's range time.

OTIS EarShield Review-img_8254.jpg

The OTIS EarShield worked well overall. Their noise reduction rating (NRR) isn't as high as my Howard Leight ear protection. But the OTIS EarShield is much more comfortable. I can, by pressing lightly on the ear pieces, greatly increase the noise reduction. If someone was shooting a really noisy gun like a .357 magnum or a race gun with barrel and slide porting, I'd definitely want the added suppression. But for us shooting 9s, this ear protection was effective enough and much more comfortable than other means of noise reduction I've tried.

I think the OTIS EarShield will work better for people with slightly smaller heads. On the other hand, in the first several attempts with my new pair I find myself getting better adjusting and wearing them each time. I'm looking forward to further use. Also, on the OTIS EarShield web page, they list also another version with a much higher NRR, 31 instead of 26 on the model I have, for only $5 more. I'm good with mine but on a do-over I'd get the NRR-31 model instead.

Would I recommend these to a friend? Yes, with caveats. My Howard Leight Impact Pro cans (NRR-30) and Howard Leight AirSoft plugs (NRR-27) discernibly knock out more noise for me. More noise reduction is usually good. Too much isn't necessarily good, like when I want to hear safety officer instructions or conversation between shots with friends. The cans are electronic and provide good reduction plus audible voice. The plugs kill all sound pretty well. For shooting 9mm and .22 handguns, I don't need more noise reduction. Lighter weight than my cans and less invasive than my plugs, I think the OTIS EarShield is a suitable answer. I'm staying with them awhile and see how they work out. So far so good.
    1942bull, OldVet, BamaT and 3 others like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Ex Member
    Yes, I made the post about the Ear Shield. My muffs have not been on my head in over a year. I use the EarShield at all range visits. It is great. Good review with which I entirely agree.
    SAXDM9 and Rabbit212 like this.

@BCC73 , here's the review you requested.

@1942bull , thanks for the post - Glad I tried these out.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array BamaT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Yes, I made the post about the Ear Shield. My muffs have not been on my head in over a year. I use the EarShield at all range visits. It is great. Good review with which I entirely agree.
    Which NRR did you get, 27 or 31?
    SAXDM9 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I think the OTIS EarShield will work better for people with slightly smaller heads."

I'm out. People keep telling me I have the big head.

Nice review.
    SAXDM9 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

@BamaT , yanking my chain? "26 on the model I have". I haven't found a NRR-27 in OTIS EarShield.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "I think the OTIS EarShield will work better for people with slightly smaller heads."

I'm out. People keep telling me I have the big head.

Nice review.
    Sweet! I'm on your Christmas Card list, right?

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    @BamaT , yanking my chain? "26 on the model I have". I haven't found a NRR-27 in OTIS EarShield.
    No, I just got the number wrong. I knew there were two ratings. After reading your review, which was a nice review, I was curious which NRR @1942bull had.
    SAXDM9 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

@BamaT , sorry 'bout that. I wish I'd known about the higher rating. I'm also looking fwd to hearing what @1942bull has.
    BamaT likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    Which NRR did you get, 27 or 31?
    31. My muffs are 34. I always go for highest rating. But I find 31 is good for 9mm indoors. I am not sure where my muffs are.
    BamaT and SAXDM9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    31. My muffs are 34. I always go for highest rating. But I find 31 is good for 9mm indoors. I am not sure where my muffs are.
    I belong to a club with outdoor ranges, so that is a plus for me. Sounds like the OTIS EarShield with 31 NRR would work well for me on the pistol ranges. On the rifle ranges, I have learned to use plugs plus muffs, for when the guy with a .300 Win mag shows up at the bench by mine.
    M1911A1, SAXDM9 and Hoganbeg like this.
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the review and your thoughts--much appreciated !! I think the 31 will get the nod...cheap enough for a test.
    BamaT and SAXDM9 like this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    Sweet! I'm on your Christmas Card list, right?
    Right at the top. See?
    OTIS EarShield Review-preview-christmascardlist.jpg
    SAXDM9 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I belong to a club with outdoor ranges, so that is a plus for me. Sounds like the OTIS EarShield with 31 NRR would work well for me on the pistol ranges. On the rifle ranges, I have learned to use plugs plus muffs, for when the guy with a .300 Win mag shows up at the bench by mine.
    Sound right to me. I ahem not shot a rifle since Corps. We had no ear protection then. Each piece of gear meets a niche need. That is why I have 34 NRR muffs for when I might ned them.
    SAXDM9 likes this.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I have some of those and may have to give them another try. Maybe I didn't position them correctly on my head but they didn't reduce db enough so I went back to my usual muffs.
    SAXDM9 likes this.

Sponsored Links