Range results are in: Unadjusted Uniflow charging vs precise beam balance charging...

Range results are in: Unadjusted Uniflow charging vs precise beam balance charging...

This is a discussion on Range results are in: Unadjusted Uniflow charging vs precise beam balance charging... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You may be seeing a historical moment! Instead of my usually detailed post about bullet performance, this is going to be short and simple. Here's ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Range results are in: Unadjusted Uniflow charging vs precise beam balance charging...

Lead Moderator

You may be seeing a historical moment! Instead of my usually detailed post about bullet performance, this is going to be short and simple. Here's a table of results from testing 50 precisely loaded rounds and 50 rounds loaded by the Uniflow only without adjustment. All components were the same. Well, the cases were not the same but were the same brand - Lapua.

Folks, these are large data samples, I have to believe they accurately represent what we can expect.

Sorry to bring you to an unexpected, sudden stop, but, THE END (of this post that is)
    airslot, OldVet, darbo and 3 others like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You may be seeing a historical moment! Instead of my usually detailed post about bullet performance, this is going to be short and simple. Here's a table of results from testing 50 precisely loaded rounds and 50 rounds loaded by the Uniflow only without adjustment. All components were the same. Well, the cases were not the same but were the same brand - Lapua.

Folks, these are large data samples, I have to believe they accurately represent what we can expect.

Sorry to bring you to an unexpected, sudden stop, but, THE END (of this post that is)
    I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the data. How was the accuracy between the two samples?
    Struckat and Tangle like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the data. How was the accuracy between the two samples?
    Precise on the left, Uniflow on the right. I was starting to get a little bored while shooting today, so the Uniflow shots might reflect some of that.

For both targets, the order shot is from upper left to right, then second row left to right, then third row left to right. The last two, third row, on the right target was some speed shooting. And on the right target, second row, far right dot, there are 6 shots, then on the next in the sequence there was only 4 - I got lost with the count or something.

You might notice, there's a couple of really good groups and some really good 4 out of 5 shot groups.

50 yards:

airslot, darbo, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Precise on the left, Uniflow on the right. I was starting to get a little bored while shooting today, so the Uniflow shots might reflect some of that.

For both targets, the order shot is from upper left to right, then second row left to right, then third row left to right. The last two, third row, on the right target was some speed shooting. And on the right target, second row, far right dot, there are 6 shots, then on the next in the sequence there was only 4 - I got lost with the count or something.

You might notice, there's a couple of really good groups and some really good 4 out of 5 shot groups.

50 yards:

It's looking like the pursuit of the unicorn may not be worth the time and aggravation. There's nothing wrong with either set of targets.

Keep in mind that I base performance on MOP (Minute Of Pig).

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Now there is a variable I have not seen introduced before...
    airslot and Tangle like this.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

So, is it time to zero the scope yet?
    Struckat likes this.

Lead Moderator
    It's looking like the pursuit of the unicorn may not be worth the time and aggravation. There's nothing wrong with either set of targets.
    I agree - I was actually very satisfied with the accuracy. However, I did not expect the numbers to be so close.

...Keep in mind that I base performance on MOP (Minute Of Pig).
    LOL - yeah, I think we got that covered!

Actually, one could not expect velocity variations to show up at 50 yards. I shoot at 50 yds some to just eliminate wind drift and POI shift due to velocity variations. Still there remains the issue of barrel harmonics. Since velocity variations alone won't show up at 50 yards, the variations could interact with barrel harmonics and that could cause POI shifts at 50 yards. So if I see what looks to be significant hit spreads, etc. I know it's not velocity variations and it is likely barrel harmonics - simply the wrong load/velocity for the barrel.

Also, these loads were not optimized for the barrel, but it looks like they're pretty close.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that group on the left target on the bottom row is IMI 77 gr RazorCore.
    in Gun Free Zones.

I find the groups very comparable. I thought the uniflow was throwing lite at first but then noticed the powder target drop was slightly less. Not sure why you did that, but the results were pretty consistent still.

Now do it all over x 40 shots!
    Tangle and airslot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabbyOldGuy View Post
    So, is it time to zero the scope yet?
    Isn't that an interesting question!

I typically keep the scope set to a POI of about an inch above the POA at 50 yards and maybe a little more at 100 yards. I do that so I don't shoot out the dot I'm aiming at.

If I had a need for POI to coincide with the POA I could adjust the scope and confirm - like if I wanted to see if I could hit five dimes with five shots. Pretty easy at 50; not so easy at 100.
    in Gun Free Zones.

It would appear that, once you have optimized a load, you should be able to repeat it in mass with little change in performance.
    Tangle likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I find the groups very comparable. I thought the uniflow was throwing lite at first but then noticed the powder target drop was slightly less. Not sure why you did that, but the results were pretty consistent still.

Now do it all over x 40 shots!
    Yeah, against all the training I've lived by for 50 years, I just had to change two things at once - precise to fast charging and change the charge weight. I just couldn't resist seeing how the barrel would respond to a lower powder charge. As you and airslot observed, if there is a difference, it's very slight. So that was kind of rewarding to learn. For some reason, either the powder/bullet or the barrel, something - is very tolerant of velocities. For example, the average velocity of that IMI 778 gr RazorCore was 2693 fps and look at that tiny little group! BTW, that outlier - cold barrel shot; first shot of the day.

Do what all over by 40 shots? These were 50 shots each.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator
    It would appear that, once you have optimized a load, you should be able to repeat it in mass with little change in performance.
    I sure hope so!
    airslot and Rock and Glock like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator

I should have included this...

These two graphs show how the ES developed for the two sets, that is, after each shot, the spreadsheet er-calculates the ES based on the latest shot.

The vertical axis (left) is values for the ES; the bottom axis is the shot number. For the top set, I fired 35 shots before the ES topped out and stopped increasing. In the bottom set, I fired 39 shots before the ES topped out and stopped increasing.

Look at the 5 shot ES's in each set, 5 on top and 17, on the bottom. Five shots just isn't enough to see the true performance. However, it may be enough for a given application. But using 5 shots only may explain why we see some of those, "how did I miss that" occasions.

in Gun Free Zones.

Senior Moderator
    Wow! Bravo!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Do what all over by 40 shots? These were 50 shots each.
    I was just tugging your chain from your previous post on how many rounds to test.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links