Defensive Carry banner

1911 9mm to 38 Super Conversion

4K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  MMinSC 
#1 ·
I am wondering what is involved with converting a 1911 from 9mm to .38 Super? The pistol in question is a pre-firing pin safety Colt's Combat Commander in 9mm if that makes any difference.

Is it just a barrel and mag change or does the extractor need a change as well? Or is there more to it?

Thank you!

#2 ·
I know nothing about the conversion, but for the extractor issue, the .38 Super is a "semi-rimmed" cartridge, so that would probably be an issue. However, the ".38 Super Comp" brass Starline sells is rimless, and might be close enough to 9mm to work. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

#3 ·
Extractor and ejector are the same for 9mm and .38 Super. The barrel is the big item, but be aware that "drop in" barrels really aren't, and should be fitted to your slide. I'm guessing that by now all the barrel makers chamber them to headspace on the case mouth and not that itty-bitty rim, but that's vital to accuracy with the .38 Super. Magazines are the other item, then you're good to go.

Re .38 Super Comp: Great stuff, and the elimination of that rim improves feeding reliability, but you'll never find .38 Super Comp as loaded ammo in your local gun shop! It's available from commercial reloaders like Atlanta Arms, and recently Eley started selling new Super Comp ammo.

#16 ·
A Springfield Contour EMP could be flipped to 38 Super? This deserves some looking into. A good working man’s gun that wouldn’t attract abuse and wear in the same way that a DW would. Oh my.

ETA probably a non starter. 4” vs 4.25”. I’m guessing the Ed Brown barrels are a 1/4” longer. Cut and crown and fitting.....not worth it.

#8 ·
#9 ·
So a while ago, I started a thread asking what kinds of minor stuff I might have a gunsmith do to improve reliability on my .45 Colt 1911. I got responses ranging from "don't touch it" to "send it to a 1911 expert, not just any gunsmith." But someone asks about changing calibers, and it's just "drop in a new barrel." What's with that?

Personally, unless the gun is actually designed as modular, like a P320, I would not trust a "Frankenstein 1911."

#20 ·
I am okay with it. Not much different than dropping a 9 or 357 barrel into a Glock 40 cal, or doing the same with the P226/229. Except for the barrel fitting I suppose. The gunsmith I will use is fantastic with 1911 pistols. He keeps a Series 70, 80, Kimber and Kimber Swartz on display for when people ask whether or not a 80 series can be fantastic, etc. They are all superb. He has done work for me before but will be retiring soon. Already stopped doing checkering(metal and wood) but I would like this project done by him before he leaves and I trust his work.

#24 ·
I have a Colt 1991A1 that left the factory as a Super .38. When I had the gun customized I specified to the gunsmith that I wanted 9mm and 9x23W barrels fitted to it as well. Each barrel has it's own bushing, the 9mm and Super use the same recoil springs, the 9x23 requires a heavier one. The Super and 9x23 use the same mags, I use dedicated 9mm mags though some folks use Super mags for 9mm. He tuned the extractor and ejector to work with all three cartridges so switching from one to the other is as simple as swapping the barrel and bushing, and maybe the recoil spring and mags. The gun functions perfectly with all three, point of impact varies slightly with bullet weights and velocities but the differences are negligible.

This is an old pic from just after the gun was finished showing the two extra barrels and bushings, obviously the third is in the gun. :duh:
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun

#25 ·
I have a Colt 1991A1 that left the factory as a Super .38. When I had the gun customized I specified to the gunsmith that I wanted 9mm and 9x23W barrels fitted to it as well. Each barrel has it's own bushing, the 9mm and Super use the same recoil springs, the 9x23 requires a heavier one. The Super and 9x23 use the same mags, I use dedicated 9mm mags though some folks use Super mags for 9mm. He tuned the extractor and ejector to work with all three cartridges so switching from one to the other is as simple as swapping the barrel and bushing, and maybe the recoil spring and mags. The gun functions perfectly with all three, point of impact varies slightly with bullet weights and velocities but the differences are negligible.

This is an old pic from just after the gun was finished showing the two extra barrels and bushings, obviously the third is in the gun. :duh:
View attachment 308094
Dang, that's nice too!

#27 ·
I have actually done this conversion. but I started with a 38 Super. Technically all I needed was the barrel and the recoil spring. but I built a complete top end. So I could swap with just a field strip.
My gun started with a colt barrel that head spaced on the semi rim. I sent it to Bar Stow Barrels to have one made that head spaced on the case mouth. While it was there they said "For another $60 they would fit it with a 9mm barrel also". Later on I found another ex GI slide that fit. I added new sights, and had it blued. It was a fun project, and it shot very well. 9mm was between $6 and $9 a box, But 38 Super was $15 to $25. That's what made the conversion fun. I could do a lot of plinking with 9mm, and could find it in any store!

My moms uncle carried one,[38 Super], some of his old ammo was rated at 1500 fps. But even by the time I could remember factory ammo had been derated to 1350. They were afraid someone would put a hot round in a gun meant for 38 ACP. I had a load recipe that would push a 130 gr jacketed bullet just over 1400fps , would shoot right through car bodys or doors ,And was accurate.

That gun got sold to pay for a divorce, I miss the gun! DR

#30 ·
Funny you should start this. I'm looking to get a Super 38 but I want a LW Commander and far as I can tell they aren't making them anymore. Looked online and they like their guns more than I do. :blink:

So I've been thinking about and doing a little looking into getting a LW Commander in that pinko commy 38 caliber and converting to 38 Super. Could be fun, if you start one let me know would ya?

#31 ·
I will! Probably speak with the gunsmith after Christmas just to make certain the wait time is not bad and to have him double check parts before I order them. I like the 9mm caliber, but I never really wanted a 1911 chambered in it. I bought this colt by accident. If someone offers a pre-firing pin safety Combat Commander for $400, you kinda have to buy it regardless of caliber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.