Help me understand why the Red Flag law was used in this case....

This is a discussion on Help me understand why the Red Flag law was used in this case.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, the headline is something like "First person charged under Florida 'red flag' law found guilty" Then they go on to say that his defense ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By PPS1980
  • 6 Post By OldChap
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By Novarider
  • 1 Post By SFury
  • 1 Post By Havok

Thread: Help me understand why the Red Flag law was used in this case....

VIP Member

Ok, the headline is something like "First person charged under Florida 'red flag' law found guilty" Then they go on to say that his defense of "not understanding the new law" fell flat and the jury found him guilty. Ok, but then we are told the following: "Smith is facing trial on an attempted murder charge in connection with that incident. He was accused of firing at his friend with a Glock handgun that deputies also took, according to reports."

So, please explain to me why his weapons were confiscated under the "Red Flag" law when he purportedly used a weapon in the commission of a felony?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/first-per...w-found-guilty
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I think it's called "creative reporting" or maybe "creative advertising." The rule of thumb is, "Use anything, say anything, make up anything, twist the truth, or outright lie, do whatever is necessary to further your agenda."

If I may say it without offending the delicate sensibilities of the snowflakes...People who believe guns are the problem, and not criminals, have no moral compass and have lost all powers of reasoning. To them what is important is seizing guns, not people trying to kill other people. In fact other people's lives have no value whatsoever. I firmly believe most think the loss of innocent life is merely a means to their end.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Have no idea, but that is not what the Red Flag law was intended for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    I think I figured out what the writer presented so poorly. Smith was ordered to surrender his weapons after being arrested for shooting at a car. Later the shooting incident was changed to attempted murder which he it to be tried for. Previously he was tried for failure to surrender his weapons. That was a separate charge from the shooting incident. Now my guess is that Smith was ordered to surrender his weapons while the prosecutors consider the charge of attempted murder. When he did n to surrender them he committed a separate crime for which he was charged and tried.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Because they can
    bmcgilvray likes this.

In this case, existing laws already covered arresting Smith. He violated numerous laws. As Novarider put it, they used the RF law not because there was a need, but because they could.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Another story lacking details so who knows.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

It's not even correct. As I explain on another thread running, Smith was not the first person to be red flagged in FL. We discussed the first case at length on this forum back when it happened.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

It accomplishes two things.
    1- goverment is flexing their power.
    2- justifies red flag laws to the average American who is to stupid to realize that if the guy was convicted for the shooting, he would be going to prison, not continuing to run around town while armed.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Sponsored Links