SCCY + wife----

SCCY + wife----

This is a discussion on SCCY + wife---- within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had better go outside because my wife decided to shoot her new SCCY CPX2. She's a real good shot but she's not well versed ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: SCCY + wife----

SCCY + wife----

I had better go outside because my wife decided to shoot her new SCCY CPX2. She's a real good shot but she's not well versed in semi-auto, normally she shoot's revolvers. Or...since she's a real good shot, maybe I should just stay in here....
    Old Man, lionround and duane_wade like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldIthink View Post
    I had better go outside because my wife decided to shoot her new SCCY CPX2. She's a real good shot but she's not well versed in semi-auto, normally she shoot's revolvers. Or...since she's a real good shot, maybe I should just stay in here....
    Geez, I hope she's not shooting in your house!
    Militant and ShooterGranny like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Hahaha! We have a range set up in back.

We got about 80 rounds downrange between two guns before it got too dark to continue. This was her guns first time out and it didn't go so good. Her CPX2 jammed a lot, mine never did, both of us were using Wolf military classic ammo. Hers either hit the top and stopped or hit the bottom and stopped. Never had an ejection issue from either one until I found a stray bullet laying on the bench and chambered it without a mag.That one stove piped.

After coming inside and doing a good cleaning on hers I took apart all the mags. The mags that came with her gun (recently purchased) were made with a darker wire that was wound different than the bright wire mags from my guns mags (about a year ago). The dark colored springs had big coils nearly all the way from bottom to top with only the top four coils smaller. The bright wire springs had about four big coils at the bottom and the rest where much smaller. These worked perfectly in both guns. The dark colored springs made it act like the follower was tilting causing the bullets to jam inside the mag. All the followers were the same visually.

I will be picking up another CPX2 tomorrow (Christmas day) so I'll take those mags apart to see what springs they have. At the very least I'm going to let SCCY know about my issues. I know it's an inexpensive gun but mine is as accurate as I am (which isn't saying much anymore).
    G26Raven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    @oldIthink it is a shame that your wife's new pistol is jamming for her. Is she able to shoot yours without jamming? When you shoot hers is it jamming? As you indicated that she didn't have much pistol experience, only revolvers, I was wondering if the jamming was perhaps due to her shooting technique, perhaps a limp wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    @oldIthink it is a shame that your wife's new pistol is jamming for her. Is she able to shoot yours without jamming? When you shoot hers is it jamming? As you indicated that she didn't have much pistol experience, only revolvers, I was wondering if the jamming was perhaps due to her shooting technique, perhaps a limp wrist?
    I though the same thing so I watched her shoot it...barely saw any recoil in her hands so no, I don't think that's it. I did not shoot hers but she did shoot mine with no issues. My wife rides horses and pitches hay and works in a retail farm store...she's got an intimidating grip...

I'm pretty sure the springs in the mags are the culprits. Loading the mags by hand brings out the issue pretty clearly. I can get about five rounds in with solid spring pressure pushing them back up to the feed lips. When I push in the sixth round they tilt and square up with the mag which causes the bullet length to jam them in there and the sixth round falls back out.

I think this is likely caused by two things, The Wolf ammo, it's OAL is long, but they work fine in my mags with the different springs, so I'm pretty sure it's primarily the springs fault. Of course I haven't measured the mags to see if her mags were made slightly smaller than my older mags are.

Today I will mix the springs up into different mags and see if there's any difference. If the problem follows the springs (and even if it doesn't) I'm going to be on the phone with SCCY to discuss my options.
    Last edited by oldIthink; December 25th, 2019 at 07:36 PM.

I have had my SCCY CPX2 for about 8 years now. Had to deal with CS only once, and they were extraordinary. Sent me a FedEx label to send it in to them. Two day delivery. Sent it on a Wednesday, arrived on Friday. Got it back, fixed, the following Tuesday.

Can't ask for much more than that.
    G26Raven, oldIthink and Old Man like this.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Mag springs sure can cause a lot of grief when they aren't right!
    oldIthink and Old Man like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

oldIthink, you should try running the magazines from her pistol in your pistol and vice versa.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

@oldIthink , my son's CPX-2 was doing the same thing with one of his mags. It wasn't the spring, but the feed lips were jacked. Son contacted SCCY and they sent him 2 new ones for free. If it is an issue with the mags, just email SCCY and they will make it right. After he received those two new mags, pistol has performed without issue, he has around 300-500 rounds through it now. Also check the feed ramp, it might have a little rough spot on it, so just take some fine (300 grit) sandpaper wrapped around a pencil and smooth it out a bit, had to do that to my sister-in-law's SCCY.
    oldIthink likes this.

Thanks everyone! Before I read these I got my new to me SCCY today. It also had the dark springs with the 3-1/2 to four small coils at the top only.

What I did with my wife's mags was took them for myself. She has the mags that worked flawlessly with her gun now.

What I did to her mags may have solved the issue. MAY have, since I haven't shot anything out of them yet. I took the springs out and compared them with the good ones and there was some manufacturing differences I found besides the way the coils are arranged. The bad acting springs held the followers at nearly the same angle as the feed lips plus they were about 1/2" shorter than the good acting ones. The good springs held the follower at a much more severe angle relative to the feed lips. Sooo...

I bent the springs to match the good ones and then loaded ten rounds in each. No jamming while loading like I was getting before. The tenth round sits tight to lips now too and there is very little noise when shook so there's very little looseness between rounds now like there was before.

As I said, I didn't get to shoot them before it got dark unfortunately so I don't know if this actually fixed the problem.

I might just do that if these mags continue causing problems. I'd rather get these to work though if at all possible.

I was interested in SCCYs, but I keep hearing stories like this. I get that any gun can have failures, but if I am going to carry a gun model, those failures need to be rare, rare, rare. And great customer service is all well and good, but service is farther away than the cops if you need to defend yourself. I want a gun that is good to go, right out of the box 99+% of the time. Just MHO.
    Bikenut and Wavygravy like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I was interested in SCCYs, but I keep hearing stories like this. I get that any gun can have failures, but if I am going to carry a gun model, those failures need to be rare, rare, rare. And great customer service is all well and good, but service is farther away than the cops if you need to defend yourself. I want a gun that is good to go, right out of the box 99+% of the time. Just MHO.
    I totally agree, with a few caveats.

I feel that any brand/model gun can have it's fair share of difficulties right out of the box, especially in these days of higher perceived quality in the more expensive items. My brother bought a S&W for $900 (don't remember the model 5XXX something) that would stovepipe every round. It happens. I agree though, something like a gun should be good to go out of the box, but that's just not economical even for a gun company 100% of the time even if it is an ISO 900x family company.

FWIW-
    "The ISO 9000 family addresses various aspects of quality management and contains some of ISO's best known standards. The standards provide guidance and tools for companies and organizations who want to ensure that their products and services consistently meet customer's requirements, and that quality is consistently improved". https://www.iso.org/iso-9001-quality-management.html

However, ISO does not require actual perfection, just the goal. It's primary reason is process improvement. All that means is that if the customer is pleased, the product is good enough; if the process can be streamlined to reduce manufacturing costs then that should happen. One usually complements the other, but not always.

Ideally there is no reason why every product isn't sent out the door in perfect condition with a long life. Decades ago this was the goal of manufacturing, today...not nearly so much. For example: I use a General Electric fan every night in bedroom that was manufactured in the early 30's. It's quiet, runs like a top, and moves a ton of air. Try finding anything made today that might conceivably come close to even 15 years of longevity that won't cost a fortune. They are out there but not for the average consumer.

This is the same situation; buy a Kimber (or insert your favorite high dollar brand) that would cost me half a months to a full months wages and it might last a lifetime or two. That's great, but most average folks don't need that much quality. Companies exploit that. They also know that the average person has no real conception of what real quality is as long as they are amazed at the shiny new object. Of course, as we all know, there are exceptions to every rule. However, judging any item that is mass produced simply from one personal bad experience, reading a few bad reviews, or watching a trusted U-tube video with some yahoo's trying desperately find some meaning in their lives and leave a meager legacy is false equivalency. Say I buy a million dollar sports car and the tire goes flat the first night in my garage. Does that make all of the same sports cars bad, all that brand of tire bad, or is the company remiss in their responsibilities?

OK, slithering off my soapbox now.

BTW- I have a Master of Science degree in business management with a focus on project management and lean manufacturing.
    Bad Bob likes this.

@oldIthink : I am very familiar with ISO, Six Sigma, etc. I went through training as a Baldrige Award Judge back in the day. One of my two masters is in business management and I have been on a lot of implementation projects.

All that has zero bearing on my carry choices. I don't care if the gun I get is one of the 3.4 defects per million opportunities. I ain't carrying it. And from what I have read, SCCY production is nowhere near Six Sigma.

A more useful methodology, to me, is the Weapons System Safety approach I learned while on the staff of the Naval Safety Center.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    This is true with any firearm, one just doesn't remove from box and start EDC carrying. You need to put the firearm through a test to see if any issues arise. Things like mags are a common issue, even with top brand firearms and is easily fixed. Now the function of the actual firearm is a different matter, if something is wrong, send it back or just use it as a range toy, not for defensive use.
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links