Ruger 57 - Page 2

Ruger 57

This is a discussion on Ruger 57 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So ruger figured copycatting and FN at half price was a good idea,I saw GREAT I wont buy one but those FNs were way overpriced ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Ruger 57

VIP Member
    So ruger figured copycatting and FN at half price was a good idea,I saw GREAT
    I wont buy one but those FNs were way overpriced and everyone needs a little
    competition
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    It might be just the thing for a head shot across the room at a sunday-go-to-meeting terrorist!
    P229 in 357 had absolutely no problem in a proven platform and it's not a Ruger.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Old Man likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Interesting. See what comes of it and how it performs.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Ruger 57-ruger-57.jpg

Friend of mine has a FN57... fun to shoot for sure but I just couldn't get on board with it as a serious home defense gun. Thing is loud as all get out.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Louder than a .357 magnum? The .44 revolver didn't seem to be as loud to me when I used that out in the woods compared to my .357 I used to finish off my buck this year.
    railfancwb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Louder than a .357 magnum? The .44 revolver didn't seem to be as loud to me when I used that out in the woods compared to my .357 I used to finish off my buck this year.
    Wonder if human perception of handgun loudness is related to the bite size? Possible smaller caliber puts sound more into the range of human hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made by Ruger . Good chance I will buy one. It is a condition I have and have learned to live with, it can not be cured.
    Old Man, Rangers13 and rock185 like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Could well be - maximum chamber pressure of 50,000 psi, compared to 35,000 for .357 Magnum. Might depend on the ammo used, as the caliber was mostly intended for the longer-barreled P90, I think.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I do not understand how anyone claims Glocks are ugly, if they have never seen a Ruger Semi.

I own neither, but good for them for putting it out there. I hope people buy a bunch of em.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
    Wonder if human perception of handgun loudness is related to the bite size? Possible smaller caliber puts sound more into the range of human hearing...
    Absolutely!

Smaller calibers tend to produce a higher-frequency report ("crack" vs. "boom"), and higher frequencies sound louder (and do more damage) than lower frequencies. If I HAD to fire a handgun in the house, I'd much prefer a .45 to a .357 or probably even a 9mm.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I've always been intrigued by the 5.7x28. It seems to have some really interesting properties.

Unfortunately as I continue to be intrigued by "new" (or maybe "obscure" is the right word) rounds, like 5.7x28 or 357SIG or 327 Federal Magnum or 10mm .... the more and more I read about handgun rounds, the more I keep coming back to the fact that handgun rounds of any type don't produce enough velocity to do big damage like they can from a rifle. And so therefore you're really just poking holes and hoping for a nervous system hit in a defense situation.

And that leads me back to the realization that a vast amount of the research today is on 9mm, the cost of 9mm is basically untouchable, and the performance of the self-defense 9mm rounds from many ammo manufacturers ensure proper penetration/no over-penetration from a wide variety of barrel lengths.

I think this round is really cool, same with the 357SIG. But outside special use cases for something like the air marshalls or secret service, for us everyday Joes, at close self defense ranges, I don't see how these more obscure ammos can really be anything more than a range toy. Even if you carried for SD, I would have little faith in the performance of the round expanding and penetrating correctly vs something like 9mm / 40 /45 HST would.

And if 357 magnum or 327 magnum or 44 magnum etc don't have any practical benefit for SD over 9mm, even with all their extra energy, then 5.7x28 or 357SIG etc don't either.

About the only reason I could see choosing something like 5.7x28 is if it has noticeably lower recoil vs 9mm. If shot placement is everything with a handgun, throwing more rounds, more quickly/accurately on target might be an advantage over 9mm. On the flip if this has ridiculous sound and blinding muzzle flash....could be a disadvantage.

Cool gun. I want to buy one. For some reason I really want a 327 federal magnum wheel gun. But I suspect that the lack of practical uses and the cost of the ammo will just have me continue to shop 9mm guns.

* EXCEPTION: I might make an exception for 10mm having a practical use as a woods gun (along with the other revolver magnum cartridges). I do think that extra energy and larger bullet do have real-world benefits against larger animals that might like to eat you. But for self defense with humans, I would skip these too.

I will applaud Ruger for rolling the dice here, for sure! I'm hoping they might do so in a semi-auto 10mm (or M&P).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links