Well it's happened again: killed by celebratory gunfire.

This is a discussion on Well it's happened again: killed by celebratory gunfire. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before just about every major holiday the news media has many warnings about celebratory gunfire, DONíT DO IT. Family loses matriarch after she's killed, likely ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Well it's happened again: killed by celebratory gunfire.

Before just about every major holiday the news media has many warnings about celebratory gunfire, DONíT DO IT.

Family loses matriarch after she's killed, likely by celebratory gunfire in Texas

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas -- A 61-year-old woman celebrating the new year with her family is dead after she was shot by celebratory gunfire, deputies say.

This happened just after midnight in the 12300 block of May Laurel Drive in the Laurel Oaks subdivision.

Authorities said the woman, identified as Philippa Ashford, was standing at the end of the driveway while family and friends in the cul-de-sac were shooting off fireworks, when she suddenly clutched her body and said, "I think I've been shot."

She collapsed to the ground and died.
    https://abc11.com/family-matriarch-k...nurse/5805376/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Had a woman here hit in the knee as she sat on a bench. It happens here almost every year. Fools...

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. ó
    Delray Beach police are investigating a shooting that left one woman injured early on New Year's Day in Downtown Delray Beach.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/woman-i...nfire/30372888
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Nitwits who fire off guns into the air need to be strung up.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Before just about every major holiday the news media has many warnings about celebratory gunfire, DONíT DO IT.

https://abc11.com/family-matriarch-k...nurse/5805376/
    There were actually several shootings from celebratory gunfire in Harris County. This one being most prominent. Houston aspires to be like L.A. I could say more, but I'd like to stay a member of this forum!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I heard two rifle shots very late last night. They were easily differentiated from fireworks if you have listened to guns for a long time. These were not in the section of town where injuries were reported.

EDITED for gross spelling error: differentiated not differinciated !!! I'm going to stand in the corner in time out for 15 minutes.
    Last edited by OldChap; January 2nd, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't get this. It violates one of the four basic rules of shooting. You are not knowing what is beyond the target (the sky). Bullets aren't going to make it into space...

Its insanely stupid, and dangerous. Yet, so many people fire guns off into the air without a second thought. We had a bad year in Wisconsin during the gun deer season because of people violating the same rule. With a pointless easily preventable death as well.

I feel bad for the family now having to deal with the death.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Stupid. You want to shoot off a gun on New Years day, get some blanks.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

For a couple of decades now, I stay indoors around midnight on New Yera's Eve, just because of the stupidity with gunfire. I still heard some shots going off in the neighborhood. Wife was concerned. I told her, "We're not going out to check on it."
    10thmtn, railfancwb and msgt/ret like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Stupid. You want to shoot off a gun on New Years day, get some blanks.
    I used to have some 5.56mm blank rounds which were great for making loud noise safely.

Damn. Not far from me. I hope they catch the shooter. What a loss, for no reason. Sad.
    Sister likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    There were actually several shootings from celebratory gunfire in Harris County. This one being most prominent. Houston aspires to be like L.A. I could say more, but I'd like to stay a member of this forum!

Brother Iím watching my words too lol.

What we learned quickly in Harris County is that nothing good happens after dark keep your behind in and doors locked.
    ETXhiker, Pete63 and railfancwb like this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

I worked at a gun shop when a lady brought in a gun to trade in on a new one. We checked it out. Everything looked good and then I asked was it ever shot. She proudly told me yes on new years. She shot it up in the air of her back porch. She lived in the City.
    railfancwb likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

This nearly happened to a friend of mine about 2-3 years back. She was in Clearwater Beach, FL for NYE, and when the ball dropped they were still in a car on the way to the club they were going to. She was in her mid to early 20s, absolutely beautiful, and sitting in the back center seat of some small sedan. Her boyfriend was on the one side, and she was in the center seat, the other side of the vehicle was empty. She was in the center so that they could take a picture together because it was right around midnight. She hears a loud noise, and it turns out a bullet went through the rear back glass and into the seat just next to her, where she was sitting only seconds before.

I didnt see the bullet in person, but they dug it out of the seat, and judging by the picture, the shape and size of it looked like some sort of 30caliber FMJ rifle projectile, like a 7.62x39, 308, 30-06, etc. It was barely deformed after going through the glass and lodging a couple inches down in the seat. And judging by the trajectory, since it was coming nearly straight down, Im surprised it had the velocity to still go through the glass.

Either way, people are morons. Stop shooting guns up into the air.
    SFury and railfancwb like this.

Absolutely agree that shooting a gun into the air is stupid. I did read up on it though and found out some interesting things. Ballistics experts have been scientifically experimenting with shooting guns into the air since as far back as at least 1909, but they still can't agree on a lot of aspects of it. There are a few things that are known:
    • A bullet shot straight up is not likely to kill anyone. It could, but it's more likely to be painful, not fatal. That is because the bullet stops at the top of it's flight and just falls back to Earth. It stops spinning also. It may come back down base first, side first or point first.
    • The velocity of a dropping bullet is most likely to be from 150-300 fps.
    • A rifle bullet shot straight up could go as high as 10,000 feet and could stay up for a full minute or more.
    • The dangerous shots are ones fired at an angle. The optimum angle for ballistic distance with a rifle bullet is 27 degrees. A 30-06 fired at 27 degrees can travel 4-6 miles and still have some possibly dangerous velocity when it hits.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I don't get this. It violates one of the four basic rules of shooting. You are not knowing what is beyond the target (the sky). Bullets aren't going to make it into space...

Its insanely stupid, and dangerous. Yet, so many people fire guns off into the air without a second thought. We had a bad year in Wisconsin during the gun deer season because of people violating the same rule. With a pointless easily preventable death as well.

I feel bad for the family now having to deal with the death.
    The hood rats dont care.
    MMinSC and railfancwb like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links