I dislike little pistols

I dislike little pistols

This is a discussion on I dislike little pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the moment I own 2 small pistols, the fact that I can drop it in my pocket and have 5 or 6 shots while ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: I dislike little pistols

I dislike little pistols

At the moment I own 2 small pistols, the fact that I can drop it in my pocket and have 5 or 6 shots while bumming around in sweats or soft shorts is awesome but I shoot them poorly and always have, they are just too little for my hand, I engulf them when I hold one and they put my trigger finger at an odd angle for a clean pull, if I just grab it in a solid grip and fire my trigger finger tends to hit my thumb joint or the palm close to it and has to slide a little to complete the stroke, I can move up to a Shield size auto or K frame size snub and work magic on the target but the mouse pistols are just a challenge physically to get my mechanics to work smoothly, I carry the little guys now and then but in honesty if I ever have to draw one of them to be effective it is definitely going to have to be a bad breath range confrontation.

I can get by with to pipsqueaks but this is where I prefer to be size wise and if possible I dress around my work horse pistols just so I feel comfortable and confident in what I'm carrying.

If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

I agree. I have a 642 and a little Beretta Pico and the 642 makes an awesome quick response from AIWB but, it takes constant practice to maintain proficiency of any kind. I shot 4 guns yesterday all at 25 yards. Pico, 642,4" model 10 and a commander 45. Needless to say after shooting fast drawing from concealment they finished in the order I listed them as far as speed and accuracy (paper plate target). No surprises there.I think they have a place for me but, they are becoming more backup or initial close responses vs primary EDC. Lately I have been pairing the little guns with something bigger when I can but, I still have NPE's to deal with until I retire this year then the bigger guns will become the norm.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
    I prefer big guns
    bmcgilvray likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It took me awhile to learn to shoot the J frame well. I had to develop a new two handed grip with my thumbs crossed over the back strap to steady that small grip. The off hand serves as a clamp over the primary. And practice shooting one handed up close. I can now make good hits out to 20 yards, and faster hits up close. But it took some practice.
    I started with light loads so I could concentrate on the basics of Front sight, Trigger, and follow through. The biggest reward is that in working on those basics I can also shoot a full size gun so much better now too. Good Luck. DR
    M1911A1, bmcgilvray and Hoganbeg like this.

VIP Member
    The best weapon is the one you have with you. I have to remind myself of that every time I have to take the LCP because I can NOT print. I don't know anyone that shoots the mouse guns better than larger weapons, but they have their role. If size isn't a factor than, yes, my P99, P226, 92S, or my new PX4 would be my preference.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I don't shoot small handguns well. I don't shoot short barrel handguns well. I don't shoot air-weight handguns well. I don't shoot plastic handguns well. Give me an all steel government model 1911 or a big bore revolver with a 4" or longer barrel and I am happy.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

The smallest I can go is my Beretta 84 and CZ-83. So far any pistol that I have seen which is smaller then them has been unacceptable for me.
    Goldy49 likes this.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I have medium sized hands and can shoot my LCP and LCR quite well. They are tougher to shoot but with enough practice I consider myself more than proficient with them. Bigger guns are much easier to shoot though. But those micro pistols and snubbies sure are easy to carry.
    forester58, bill35738 and 10thmtn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I don't shoot small handguns well. I don't shoot short barrel handguns well. I don't shoot air-weight handguns well. I don't shoot plastic handguns well. Give me an all steel government model 1911 or a big bore revolver with a 4" or longer barrel and I am happy.
    Ya got’er narrowed down about as good as it can go!
    Pete63 and bmcgilvray like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I really like my P238. It's a small gun with full size features. Great trigger, good sites, low recoil for size. For me, a lot depends on the gun and how I shoot it. When I was shooting my P3at I stopped even using the sites. They were so bad that it took longer to use them than just point shoot it. I don't use them much on my Taurus 605 either. But with that P238 I can make reasonable hits on steel plates at 50 yards.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I carried, and practiced with, an AMC .45 Backup, for almost 20 years.
    I was sufficiently quick and acceptably accurate with it, out to at least 15 yards, and 20 if I really bore down on it.
    However, that was in practice. I never shot it in anger...although I came pretty close, just once.

I have medium-size hands with comparatively short fingers, and, until arthritis, I was most comfortable with a full-size 1911.
    But it was much easier to pocket-carry the AMT mini-pistol, even though its trigger action was abominable.

I suggest that it's all a matter of the practice time you put into it.
    And I put in a whole lot of practice time.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Distinguished Member
    I can keep LCPII rounds in a 3-4" circle from a fast pocket draw/fire at 10 yards. I don't mind little guns, and they sure do conceal a whole lot easier than bigguns. Sure don't weigh 3 pounds, either.
    BHC, Arejay and 10thmtn like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    At the moment I own 2 small pistols, the fact that I can drop it in my pocket and have 5 or 6 shots while bumming around in sweats or soft shorts is awesome but I shoot them poorly and always have, they are just too little for my hand, I engulf them when I hold one and they put my trigger finger at an odd angle for a clean pull, if I just grab it in a solid grip and fire my trigger finger tends to hit my thumb joint or the palm close to it and has to slide a little to complete the stroke, I can move up to a Shield size auto or K frame size snub and work magic on the target but the mouse pistols are just a challenge physically to get my mechanics to work smoothly, I carry the little guys now and then but in honesty if I ever have to draw one of them to be effective it is definitely going to have to be a bad breath range confrontation.

I can get by with to pipsqueaks but this is where I prefer to be size wise and if possible I dress around my work horse pistols just so I feel comfortable and confident in what I'm carrying.

You should carry the gun that you shoot the best.

Smaller guns tend to have more recoil, rudimentary sights, lower velocities due to short barrels, and can be underpowered when compared to their larger counterparts.

However the corollary to that, is being able to conceal it and the likelihood that you will have it with you.

I have conceal carried a variety of smaller handguns, such as the North American Arms 22 WMR/Magnum, a Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP
    And a J frame. The Sig Sauer P365 was a game changer but honestly, I carry more than one firearm on me. I find it more of a hassle to have a spare magazine or revolver reload. A spare firearm or magazine is necessary, in case there is a catastrophic failure of the primary.

As for working with the smaller firearms, I typically bring several hundred rounds on a trip. I load up 2-4 rounds at a time and work on the mechanics of shooting. Loading up a full magazine can tend to make a person rush or less deliberate.

Once a user is able to be comfortable with smaller and smaller targets, at further and further distances, they they can add other facets such as moving and shooting, shooting moving targets, shooting multiple targets and shooting multiple targets at difference distances.

Lastly, working on the draw from concealment, and getting the first shot off cannot be underemphasized. Using something objective, such as a shot timer helps measure progress, as well as scoring shots on target.

In self defense the goal is not for groups, as much as it is about hitting critical organ systems for an effective stop. Knowledge of anatomy helps. So is using ammunition that can give adequate penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    M1911A1, Gunwale and Old Man like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Senior Moderator
    From the excellent original post and continuing through some insightful and revealing comments, this could be the first thread of its kind here, offering as it does a different point of view from the normal blanket acceptance and advocating of the smaller handguns for personal defensive use.

I'm another who takes a fairly dim view of my own small handguns. Of course the .25 automatics are right out, but I'm not too keen on compact .380 automatics or J-Frames either. I'll tote a J-Frame Smith & Wesson on occasion, but mostly as a back-up as deemed necessary such as for all-night gun show security duty. Have been slipping into the habit of toting the Smith & Wesson Model 649 around our small, "harmless" town, more because it stays handy in its pocket holster in a dresser drawer than because it's easier to tote, but the church shooting over in Fort Worth only last weekend has caused me to reflect. K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers and 1911-guns are moving to the forefront here. The favorite Smith & Wesson K-Frame is always kept bedside and there's been a Colt Government Model in another dresser drawer this week. Have been leaving holsters for each handy on the reloading bench.

Of course here lately the reloading bench has become a catch-all for all the stuff I leave out and projects I've got going.

I like good ergonomics and recoil absorbing weight. Full size and all steel construction guarantees both. I can and have managed all manner of stunted and lightweight big bore or Magnum handgun concoctions on the range, but wouldn't be much interested in using them "seriously" unless that's all I had.

A .40 Smith & Wesson Shield resides here and I'm not all that fond of it, but it does offer really good ergonomics and an effective cartridge. If a person is concerned about weight and bulk perhaps it offers some advantages. The Shield is about as small as I would want to go. As it is, for my purposes I can hide and carry the full-sized 1911-gun as easily as I can the Shield.

Sure, it's easier to carry something small and light, but I'd be mad at myself if I had to gunfight with it, knowing there are more effective side arms back at home.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links