442 grips

442 grips

This is a discussion on 442 grips within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently picked this up and changed grips...Tried flat panel 2 piece grips and hated the look and slickness also did the sight hack with the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: 442 grips

442 grips

Recently picked this up and changed grips...Tried flat panel 2 piece grips and hated the look
    and slickness also did the sight hack with the automotive touch up paint and clear coat.
    worked very well on my Taurus 85 and has held up well...If you use white paint
    on first coat i found it brightens up whatever your finish color is...Orange for whatever
    reason seemed to stick out more than white for me.

442 grips-20200117_184605.jpg
    442 grips-20200117_185037.jpg
    442 grips-20200117_185848.jpg

I need rubber to cushion my hand that was injured years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 442 grips-a9a7259a-4842-4ce7-a2ef-13a1920ee2b1.jpeg  

Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

I definitely prefer the "magna" or "service" style grips on J-frames. The boot style moves the hand to far down on the frame, and I like having my finger behind the trigger guard to help ensure a good full-hand grasp of the gun.
    5lima30ret and Cornhusker95 like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I need rubber to cushion my hand that was injured years ago.
    I like the stock rubber grips on my Taurus...The S&W factory grips do not feel near as soft.
    5lima30ret and Haywood like this.

When my dept. finally authorized backup guns, the only version allowed were S&W J-frames. Our qual consisted of shooting more than 300 rounds of +P ammo and the J-frame I bought to use was a 442 with the stock boot grips. I have been shooting practically all of my life. I can tell you that at the end of qual day, I have never had my hands hurt as much as they did that day. Now, on qual day, the 442 is wearing a set of Pachmyer Compacs. After getting home and cleaning the weapon, the boot grips go back on since I know I shoot the same with them as I do with the Compacs.

Nice. Its all a personal decision for certain but, I have yet to find any better J fame grips than the stock boots. If I only belt carried I would probably change them out but mine does AIWB and jacket pocket carry so the short grips work best for me.
    I have to grind them down a bit for easy speedloader access and I would hate to do that to nice looking wood grips.

Running 50 or so at the range is fine but, going beyond that and my hand gets sore. I prefer frequent range time with just a cylinder or two vs a lot of ammo at one visit. I got to the peak of my j frame skill level stopping by a wooded spot on the way home from work 4 days a week and just shooting one to two cylinders.

I was very happy and comfortable with compacs on a 3" model J frame years ago.
    Haywood likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Nice. Its all a personal decision for certain but, I have yet to find any better J fame grips than the stock boots. If I only belt carried I would probably change them out but mine does AIWB and jacket pocket carry so the short grips work best for me.
    I have to grind them down a bit for easy speedloader access and I would hate to do that to nice looking wood grips.

Running 50 or so at the range is fine but, going beyond that and my hand gets sore. I prefer frequent range time with just a cylinder or two vs a lot of ammo at one visit. I got to the peak of my j frame skill level stopping by a wooded spot on the way home from work 4 days a week and just shooting one to two cylinders.
    The stock grips are OK but compared to the stock grips on my Taurus 85 (Go figure)...They are not near as soft and comfortable.
    I am not recoil sensitive at all so for me it was more look's thing than anything else.
    Old Man and forester58 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    The stock grips are OK but compared to the stock grips on my Taurus 85 (Go figure)...They are not near as soft and comfortable.
    I am not recoil sensitive at all so for me it was more look's look than anything else.
    I have never shot the Taurus grips but, they do look nice and comfy. I have an 856 on my wish list so maybe one day. Question is steel or ultralight?
    Cornhusker95 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I have never shot the Taurus grips but, they do look nice and comfy. I have an 856 on my wish list so maybe one day. Question is steel or ultralight?
    Its a ultralight....The new 856 is nice looking and with extra round even better....I see they offer it in concealed hammer as well.
    it also has the new style bull logo grips....They are very nice grips
    Old Man and forester58 like this.

Wood for looks and pocket carry.

Rubber for (shooting) comfort and waistband carry.

The extremely small wooden boot grips slip out of jean pockets slick and easy, and my Pachmayr Compacs draw much better from iwb/owb due to the larger size, and I draw much faster with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 442 grips-screenshot_20200120-115725_gallery_1579543565517.jpg  

442 grips-screenshot_20200120-115731_gallery_1579543573466.jpg  

Distinguished Member

442 Grips and Sights

I have experimented quite a bit with different grips on my J frames. For pocket carry I liked the old style wood grips with Tyler grip adapters, but for overall use and shooting I went back to the factory rubber grips. I paint my front sights with the Glow On luminescent orange paint and cover it with clear finger nail polish. Like @Cornhusker95 I have found that having a base coat of white makes the orange stand out a little better.

442 grips-s-w-442.jpg442 grips-s-w-442-1.jpg442 grips-s-w-m442-m642.jpg442 grips-sw-442-w-nemesis.jpg442 grips-sw-j-frames.jpg

I use a "white frost" nail polish base coat and a "Glo Orange" top coat. And since mine is silver I use Black on the remainder of the front sight ramp
    442 grips-642-2019.jpg
    Haywood, Cornhusker95 and Old Man like this.

I don't use any white base layer or any kind of clear coat. I just grab a toothpick and dabb some nail polish on it. I prefer traffic cone orange.

I'll remove it and redo it as needed. The paint in this picture has been on over a year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 442 grips-screenshot_20200120-132900_gallery_1579548950272.jpg  

Haywood, Old Man and Tstone like this.

I wish they would just put a pinned front sight on them...Charge a little extra and be done with it.
    Give the consumer the option if they wish.
    The wife's LCR is that way and it even has the white bar on the stock front sight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links