Accidental Discharge in Home Today - Page 2

Accidental Discharge in Home Today

This is a discussion on Accidental Discharge in Home Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by xXxHeavy Self reported......maybe you qualify for a new table....stunningly, one of the dumbest things I've read on here yet....omo. Well you live ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Accidental Discharge in Home Today

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Self reported......maybe you qualify for a new table....stunningly, one of the dumbest things I've read on here yet....omo.
    Well you live in Jersey, so maybe you have a different perspective about LE and firearms. We're in a small mainly rural community that just voted to declare itself a Second Amendment Sanctuary/Constitutional County. I've never had any problem with the police here except for an overdue vehicle inspection sticker. Anyway - obviously it didn't pose any problem for me.
    ugh762x39 and gasmitty like this.

VIP Member
    OP, Im glad ....very glad no one was hurt.

Next time, No Glass Table Tops!!! Scheez. Everybody knows that.
    NECCdude and Old Man like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

It would not be the first time some LEO took "nothing" and made "something" of it. That reckless endangerment type of thing, you know? Just because it was not "illegal" as you presume does not mean it cannot be twisted into something that is.

For starters, this was a clear case of negligent discharge, even those I hate the accidental/negligent discharge debates. Folks having negligent discharges have been charged before, even though there was no personal injuries or property damages.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Also glad no one hurt.
    I am not sure if I would have self reported myself, but that was your decision to make and I will not criticize you for it.
    I have yet to experience one in all my years of handling firearms.
    Hopefully my obsessive compulsive will protect me.

Good for you posting that here. I believe there are only two types of gun owners: Those that have had an ND and those who haven't had one yet. Handle firearms enough its bound to happen. I did what you did only outside in the woods. As is my habit I always pull the trigger one more time before letting my gun point anywhere other than downrange or manipulating it in any way. I racked the slide closed and pointed downrange and pulled the trigger....Bang!
    That bang was a surprise and it just reinforced a habit I continue to this day.
    Show me a race car driver who has never wrecked. Enough exposure, even with great habits, and Murphy shows up. Good that you pointed it somewhere harmless, at least to people.
    My guess is you will be a safer gun handler than ever before and that is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post

Next time, No Glass Table Tops!!! Scheez. Everybody knows that.
    Yup - totally fair and valid point. I usually clean them on a wood toolbench in my garage.
    OD* likes this.

This is why I keep sand-filled coffee cans or buckets of dirt near all my safes and the gun cleaning area. It's habit to only pull the trigger when pointed into the center of a sand trap when disassembling or cleaning, and I also point at these when loading a gun in case of mechanical problem.

Heck, I even use a "loading mag" with only one cartridge, then swap to a full mag after the chamber is hot. Should an ND happen, this habit should at least contain the bullet in a sand trap, and using a loading mag will ensure only one bang rather than a string of fire if there's a mechanical failure.

The only other time I pull the trigger at home is for dry fire practice, and the first 3 clicks are at one of these sand cans. Of course using a laser cartridge or string trimmer line through the barrel works too.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

You beat me to it.
    Two words, Sand Bucket.
    Add it to your routine by pointing into it when pulling any trigger even after cleaning and clearing.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Athappyhiker, I did something similar last year. Testing trigger pull this time of year one year ago on a pistol that just came back from Sig. Failed to remove the ammo to another room. Tested with a trigger gauge, got distracted talking to my wife, loaded the pistol and tested one more time. I was sitting at the kitchen table, when the round went through the kitchen wall, across the patio, and into the bathroom wall twenty feet away. Trust me, you probably won't make that mistake again.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

"for some flipping reason I picked up the mag, inserted it, dropped the slide (without looking directly at the gun when I did that), pointed it in a downward direction, pulled the trigger..."

Not to beat up on you but I will suggest that you give some thought to the above in an effort to determine exactly what that reason was. It seems your concentration was broken somehow; perhaps a distraction or maybe just fatigue. These little incidents have a way of inspiring us to greater safety.

I'm glad it turned out well for you.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    "for some flipping reason I picked up the mag, inserted it, dropped the slide (without looking directly at the gun when I did that), pointed it in a downward direction, pulled the trigger..."

Not to beat up on you but I will suggest that you give some thought to the above in an effort to determine exactly what that reason was. It seems your concentration was broken somehow; perhaps a distraction or maybe just fatigue. These little incidents have a way of inspiring us to greater safety.

I'm glad it turned out well for you.
    Oh trust me, there's a whole BUNCH of self-assessment going on tonight, and a revamping of my cleaning and unloading processes. The sand bucket is a great idea and I have no idea why I haven't had one before, but I intend to fix that tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding us all of this potential danger. I almost had one once. I was running a club match, as I'd done for years which includes answering lots of questions. Someone caught me right after a round of bowling pins with my MKII Ruger. I'm sure the distraction kept me from clearing the chamber after removing the magazine. At home that night in the basement and before cleaning, I picked it up to practice pointing from the low ready. I don't dry fire my .22's but as my finger approached the trigger, my training kicked in and I paused to check it for clear which I hadn't done before picking it up. Now, that itself was an infraction of safety rules. That's why on the range when some shooter claims "it's unloaded" when waving it around making everyone uneasy, they have to be sternly corrected. Damn if a round didn't eject across the basement floor. All it takes sometimes is a moment of distraction to set up a future unintentional discharge.

I used to do a section on handgun safety for our state hunter safety classes. In it, i mentioned a story that had been related to me of some kids in a car with a "unloaded" .22 auto they were handling. Sure enough, someone pulled the trigger and shot someone in the front seat. I think the older we get, the more we need to refresh our gun handling safety lessons. Especially if we have been away from them for years.

Would I have called it in if it went off hurting no one? No, but I don't have a neighbor like yours. Where I used to live in the northern most part of NJ I wouldn't have either - but that was almost 50 years ago and except for summer, no one was ever home near us. Today, I'm sure I wouldn't in that state if I suspected no one heard it. Today I imagine the neighbors are a whole different breed of folks. They enjoy having black bears swim in their pools and play on the kids swing sets and have a hissy fit if anyone wants to hunt them.
    airslot and Old Man like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

I wasn't there and this definitely is unasked for armchair quarterbacking yet the following isn't meant in a derogatory manner but is something to be aware of....

I suspect since the police have been involved and a report made any additional gun related calls (perhaps especially from a neighbor) will be handled with a bit of suspicion concerning possible carelessness on your part.
    graydude likes this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

@Athappyhiker 1) I'm not going to give you grief. I don't think there is anything anyone could say to you that could possibly make you feel worse than you already do. 2) You'll never make that mistake again. 3) I don't understand why you snitched on yourself to LE. There does exist a small sub-population of the LE community that would have exploited this situation to your detriment. 4) Glad the kids were safe. But, what did your wife say?
    graydude, airslot and BamaT like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

A buddy had an ND last summer. He was dry firing in the house, and when he was done he reloaded and placed the gun on his kitchen counter. Something distracted him, and for some reason he decided to continue with his dry firing afterward, without remembering that the gun was now loaded. Hole through the kitchen wall, and a nice spider in a large picture window. Nobody was hurt, but it set him back about $1000 to have the window replaced. I never gave him any crap about it, but I did ask him if he thought that he would do anything differently next time.

Part of my anal/OCD routine is to always keep the slide locked back (and no mag inserted) on any firearm that is out of the safe (which is rarely more than one at a time). Any time I pick up a gun that doesn't have the slide locked back, the very first thing I do is clear it. Even if I know that a gun is unloaded and the ammo is all locked up in the other room, I still follow the exact same procedure every single time. I also have routine safety procedures for all of my power tools that I never deviate from.
    oneshot and Poorly like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links