Accidental Discharge in Home Today - Page 4

Accidental Discharge in Home Today

This is a discussion on Accidental Discharge in Home Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Grizzly2 Why is there that necessity to pull the trigger into a sand trap after checking the weapon to insure it is ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Accidental Discharge in Home Today

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    Why is there that necessity to pull the trigger into a sand trap after checking the weapon to insure it is clear?
    In competition, at the end of the run the RO commands "unload and show clear," and then "IF CLEAR, hammer down and holster." The intent of having the shooter drop the hammer with a trigger pull is to guarantee that no gun leaves the line with a live round in the chamber.

I've run thousands of shooters in sanctioned matches. I've had at least two incidents where the gun discharged on the "hammer down" command, and both competitors were seasoned shooters.

So dropping the hammer with the gun pointed at a sand bucket may seem like overkill, but I view it as belt-and-suspenders and thumbs in both pockets.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

One of the cardinal rules of gun safety, do not have ANY ammo in the same room you are cleaning guns in. That includes mags and tubular magazines as well. It happened, all is well. Glad no one was harmed.
    G26Raven likes this.

Glad no one was hurt.

Change your procedure. Everyone does things differently. I keep carry guns loaded, always. Dry fire practice is isolated from ammunition and magazines. Otherwise, there is no reason to pull the trigger. Store it with it cocked, there is no reason to pull the trigger.

I won’t criticize you, you have already done that. Now if you don’t change how you do things, you could then be considered a fool.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Those bullet traps are illegal in a lot of cities due to laws against willfully discharging a firearm. So not sure where you’re going with that...
    You do not buy a trap to willfully discharge, it is for an oops.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Glad no one was hurt.

You killed a table, a cabinet and a wood block. Calling the cops on yourself was not smart, in this situation. Now your name is on the radar for possible "gun" violations.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    You do not buy a trap to willfully discharge, it is for an oops.
    Some smiths have them to check function. At least the one I use does...but he lives way out in the boonies where you can shoot pretty much wherever.
    Bad Bob and Rockymonster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Some smiths have them to check function. At least the one I use does...but he lives way out in the boonies where you can shoot pretty much wherever.
    When I was a kid my dad who was a competitive rifle shooter (.22) used a stack of newspapers in the basement for practice.

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athappyhiker View Post
    I'm writing this post in the hopes that it reinforces to everyone just how hyper vigilant we all need to be with handling firearms. I've handled firearms for 30 years, both hunting, in military, target shooting an daily concealed carry without ever having an accidental or negligent discharge. I've always considered myself a very safe person with weapons. They all stay locked up in safes when not in use.
    Today I was cleaning a 9mm S&W pistol down in our basement laundry room, had taken it apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it (which puts it in a "cocked" state), and (like always) was planning on releasing the firing pin spring tension by dry firing it for storage. Usually I dry fire it immediately after reassembly without a mag in it (this M&P can be fired without mag inserted), but for some flipping reason I picked up the mag, inserted it, dropped the slide (without looking directly at the gun when I did that), pointed it in a downward direction, pulled the trigger and "BOOM!!!!" - instant deafness and the 3/4" glass tabletop in front of me shattered. HOLY **** moment is an understatement. Without thinking I verified the slide was locked back and dropped the mag and put the pistol down, and I immediately ran out of the laundry room and checked on my three kids that were in the house and THANK GOD everyone was fine. The round luckily impacted and lodged in a set of storage drawers against the wall that have thick wood blocks in them (ink stamps), and lodged in one of the blocks with no exit. Apparently when I'd unloaded my carry rounds from that mag I'd left the last one it it somehow, and obviously didn't see it when I picked the mag up, thinking it was empty.
    I called our town Police to report the discharge (I think it's the right thing to do, and I wanted to make sure it was me providing my account of the incident, done proactively and voluntarily, less someone else called it in even if that was unlikely given my son who was upstairs one floor couldn't hear anything other than a loud bang but not something he thought was a shot). Police sent one officer who verified I'm a good guy with no criminal record, a CHP holder, and that the pistol was clean. He listened to my account of it, verified the impact spot, took a few pics and called his supervisor. They both concurred that it was accidental and didn't meet any criminal threshold (which I already knew was the case since it was not a "willful" discharge and nobody was injured and no property was damaged other than my own). The officer was polite and understanding the whole time and could see just how mortified and upset with myself I was.

Some of you may take this as a chance to criticize me and call it "negligent", and I won't argue terminology - the point is, I always have been safe, as I'm sure most of you are, but this incident was made possible by two F-ups of mine; leaving a round in a mag and then putting it in and pulling the trigger without secondarily visually verifying it was still unloaded. Please don't lull yourself into thinking "it can't happen to me, I'm super cautious." because so did I. I have spent the last few hours mentally beating myself up about not only my lapses, but "what could have happened" to my kids or myself. I thank God literally today for looking out for us. It is a lesson I shouldn't have had to be reminded of, but one I will hopefully never forget.

Side note; even though my left ear took the brunt of the blast (it was a Winchester Ranger 124gr +P+ round) and was deafened for a few minutes, it seems to have cleared up and I'm not noticing any hearing loss, feeling of stuffiness or ringing now. I'm praying it stays that way.
    My wife and I were just talking this morning about how incredibly easy it is to have an incident like this. I always like to point my pistols toward the back 40 (literally) through an open garage door when I do this. Even when chambering the first round. I just have the feeling that I may have messed up during reassembly and the weapon will discharge immediately after going into battery.

I did clean 2 rifles in the basement yesterday and it felt very foreign even though I did not have any mags or ammo out when I dry fired.

Thanks for posting this reminder to be ever vigilant and thank God nobody was hurt.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

VIP Member
    This is why many recommend removing all ammo from the room in which one cleans a gun. I'm not sure how I could insert a mag and not see it had a round in it unless I just had a major brain fart.

My BIL is a deputy sheriff. He managed to shoot himself in the hand while removing the slide from his Glock. He forgot to clear the chambered round. Now THAT was a major brain fart. And it left him with a permanent reminder of his negligence.

Gun "accidents" are extremely rare. I can see where a squib load could result in an accident if one had no reason to believe the bullet didn't exit the barrel. But in almost every other case where an "accidental" discharge occurred it was due to some failure to follow safety rules. But we are all fallible humans, and if it does happen to us we can only hope no one is injured or worse.
    msgt/ret, Bad Bob and Militant like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member
    The older I get the more I worry about having a ND when I remember to worry about them.
    Bad Bob likes this.

I am among those who keep ammo in another room when I am manipulate my firearms in any other way than for their intended role. I know it's silly, but I also announce to myself out loud that the gun is loaded or unloaded before leaving the room. I don't know. It works for me. I never thought of a sand bucket in the home. That's a great idea.

It seems to me that there is a group of people who have been successfully indoctrinated into thinking every act must be submitted to a central authority out of fear, in hopes of its benevolent approval. I am not of this group. Central authority is not an American value even though at the University it certainly was. When I was a Democrat, I brought my first handgun into the Santa Barbara Police Department station. I asked the female officer behind the desk if I had to "register" my handgun. As I recall, she said it's voluntary and she appeared rather blase (I don't know how to place an accent mark) about the situation. This was 1971-72. When I converted away from liberalism at literal gunpoint, I started down the path of learning about the proper role of American government in general and particularly as regards to arms. I don't blame the OP for defaulting to his training by reporting himself for the ND.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

I was in the same room with my cousin... when he manipulated a .22LR. semi auto . Inserting a fully loaded mag... &
    drawing the slide back ; and in a sling shot manner , his left hand went far enough to the rear, when the little stainless gun had a slam fire . (Little pistol really barked, with that 1.5 in. Barrel.)
    I guess it was a slam fire .I do not remember his finger being in the pistol's trigger guard at any time.
    the window sill got a nice little keyhole shaped perforation. No glass broken to tell tales.
    I immediately went to his liquor cabinet & Bar ... to celebrate & toast to our good health.
    msgt/ret and CWOUSCG like this.
    NRA member..... SIG P227 (Nitron Carry) S&W mod. 58 ; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); Beretta 92s Colt Python (nickel)8 in. ; ★SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    .41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    The older I get the more I worry about having a ND when I remember to worry about them.
    The older I get, the more I worry that my accidental discharges won't have anything to do with firearms!
    OldVet, Poorly, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Heard of a number of ND over the years, mostly with 1911s for some odd reason. People forget it's drop mag, rack slide not the other way around!
    When I did that section on handgun safety during our Hunter Safety Classes, I used my 1911 and a handful of dummy rounds to illustrate that point over and over. i'd do it both ways and get the kids and parents involved and would then ask, is it loaded? Then eject a round to show them the danger of getting it wrong and drill the proper technique into their heads.

I wonder how many NDs happened after law enforcement or anyone for that matter, went from revolvers to semi autos?
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

You got lucky, thanks for sharing a learning moment. In my view AD=ND no matter how bad everyone wants to sugar coat it. These are “accidents” that can change or end lives forever. Your ND was the result of your complacency.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links