Accidental Discharge in Home Today

This is a discussion on Accidental Discharge in Home Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm writing this post in the hopes that it reinforces to everyone just how hyper vigilant we all need to be with handling firearms. I've ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Accidental Discharge in Home Today

I'm writing this post in the hopes that it reinforces to everyone just how hyper vigilant we all need to be with handling firearms. I've handled firearms for 30 years, both hunting, in military, target shooting an daily concealed carry without ever having an accidental or negligent discharge. I've always considered myself a very safe person with weapons. They all stay locked up in safes when not in use.

Today I was cleaning a 9mm S&W pistol down in our basement laundry room, had taken it apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it (which puts it in a "cocked" state), and (like always) was planning on releasing the firing pin spring tension by dry firing it for storage. Usually I dry fire it immediately after reassembly without a mag in it (this M&P can be fired without mag inserted), but for some flipping reason I picked up the mag, inserted it, dropped the slide (without looking directly at the gun when I did that), pointed it in a downward direction, pulled the trigger and "BOOM!!!!" - instant deafness and the 3/4" glass tabletop in front of me shattered. HOLY COW moment is an understatement. Without thinking I verified the slide was locked back and dropped the mag and put the pistol down, and I immediately ran out of the laundry room and checked on my three kids that were in the house and THANK GOD everyone was fine. The round luckily impacted and lodged in a set of storage drawers against the wall that have thick wood blocks in them (ink stamps), and lodged in one of the blocks with no exit. Apparently when I'd unloaded my carry rounds from that mag I'd left the last one it it somehow, and obviously didn't see it when I picked the mag up, thinking it was empty.

I called our town Police to report the discharge (I think it's the right thing to do, and I wanted to make sure it was me providing my account of the incident, done proactively and voluntarily, less someone else called it in even if that was unlikely given my son who was upstairs one floor couldn't hear anything other than a loud bang but not something he thought was a shot).

Police sent one officer who verified I'm a good guy with no criminal record, a CHP holder, and that the pistol was clean. He listened to my account of it, verified the impact spot, took a few pics and called his supervisor. They both concurred that it was accidental and didn't meet any criminal threshold (which I already knew was the case since it was not a "willful" discharge and nobody was injured and no property was damaged other than my own). The officer was polite and understanding the whole time and could see just how mortified and upset with myself I was.

Some of you may take this as a chance to criticize me and call it "negligent", and I won't argue terminology - the point is, I always have been safe, as I'm sure most of you are, but this incident was made possible by two mistakes of mine; leaving a round in a mag and then putting it in and pulling the trigger without secondarily visually verifying it was still unloaded.

Please don't lull yourself into thinking "it can't happen to me, I'm super cautious." because so did I. I have spent the last few hours mentally beating myself up about not only my lapses, but "what could have happened" to my kids or myself. I thank God literally today for looking out for us. It is a lesson I shouldn't have had to be reminded of, but one I will hopefully never forget.

Side note; even though my left ear took the brunt of the blast (it was a Winchester Ranger 124gr +P+ round) and was deafened for a few minutes, it seems to have cleared up and I'm not noticing any hearing loss, feeling of stuffiness or ringing now. I'm praying it stays that way.

Thanks for posting this and having the courage to stand up in light of the criticism you might get from someone. Critical lesson that has been talked about in our community forever. Thank God no one was hurt !! Lesson is that it CAN happen.....and....just that fast !!!!
    My cleaning area is in my basement and all my ammo & mags are upstairs so I never have ammo near me while cleaning. Every step towards safety is a good thing and reminders of the accidents make us more aware of being safe !!!
    OldChap, PPS1980, airslot and 5 others like this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Sorry you had to learn a hard lesson, but I'm thankful there were no injuries.

Many years ago ( almost 66 ) my dad taught me to shoot. One lesson he stressed over the years was that all ammunition is removed to another room when cleaning - no magazines, no loose rounds. Today, it probably sounds like overkill but if I cannot get the ammunition and mag away to another room, I have drilled myself to bring a small lockbox and actually lock the ammunition away.

When I finish working on/cleaning my carry gun, the LAST thing I do is insert the mag, chamber a round, remove the mag and top it off, then immediately place it in the holster. It is always a struggle remaining civil when someone interrupts me during this process.
    Frodebro, airslot and ButtShot14 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You reported yourself to LE...…tell me you didn't do that………..always "have been safe", key words here.
    Big Western, Bad Bob and Poorly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    You reported yourself to LE...…No……….."have been safe", key words here.
    Please clarify, what's your "you reported yourself to LE...No" comment in regards to? Do you disagree with my decision to call town Police? I knew I hadn't committed a crime, and in my experience police see things in a much better light when you are forthright and cooperative. If I hadn't called it in and someone else had, the obvious question is "why didin't you?"
    drmordo and usmc0811 like this.

You reported yourself to LE...…tell me you didn't do that………..always "have been safe", key words here.
    Sometimes it’s better when the story starts with you than ends with you. Some areas it probably matters less than others, but just thinking about the possibility of some idiot neighbor hearing the sound and calling 911 to say he just killed his wife.
    We get the government we deserve.

Now this is funny...……..OK, how many here would call and report themselves to LE for a ND...…….are you folks kiddin' me.

Must be a Dem. gun owner...…….

Some of you may take this as a chance to criticize me and call it "negligent"
    It happens. Don't ask me how I know. "Negligent" ?? Well yeah..I reckon it was. Don't beat yourself up, just take the lesson.

As for reporting it, if no harm was done and no one heard it I don't see the need.
    airslot, gasmitty, BIGSAM and 2 others like this.
    Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Sometimes it’s better when the story starts with you than ends with you. Some areas it probably matters less than others, but just thinking about the possibility of some idiot neighbor hearing the sound and calling 911 to say he just killed his wife.
    Exactly. and I have one of those idiot neighbors that we have a very rocky relationship and he's called police on me multiple times over the years for simply having a fire pit going, or supposedly being too loud with friends in the back yard.

Just for your own information, many companies sell portable bullet traps that folks actually set up and shoot in their basement....have had friends that have these....no problem.....bang, bang, bang.

So ya put one through the table, nobody hurt, buy a new table, call it a day.....learn from your mistake...………..call the cops on yourself, really stunning.
    Bad Bob likes this.

I’ve done that. I must have had the hearing shutdown they talk about. It never hurt my ears but, it surprised the snot out of me.
    airslot, Old Man and Chicagobill like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Just for your own information, many companies sell portable bullet traps that folks actually set up and shoot in their basement....have had friends that have these....no problem.....bang, bang, bang.
    That's nice but not relevant. It is illegal to "willfully" discharge a firearm in an occupied dwelling in our town limits, other than a licensed shooting range, or in self defense. So that can't be an excuse or cover. When I know I didn't do anything wrong, I have no fear of police. Most of them (we are in a small town) are really good people, and I know for a fact they appreciate it when someone is up front and cooperative about whatever issue is at hand. I'd rather shape my narrative and have it on record that I self-reported vs. a report from a neighbor (our houses are only about 15 yards apart side to side) that brought the cops calling.
    BamaT likes this.

My son had a accidental discharge not long ago, exactly the same as the OP, thought all rounds were out of mag. I have had an AD before, but not in the house, but down at the range. This was with my .22, dumped all the ammo from tube and one got stuck at the breach end of the tube. When I cycled action, of course it picked up that one round. No one else was there and it fired in a safe direction towards the berm, but still. As safe as we all are, things will happen, but hopefully when it does happen, nothing serious will come of it. I will never chastise anyone for having an accidental discharge, let it be a lesson learned and hopefully it never happens again. Now a negligible discharge on the other hand, is a whole nother story, where one was being stupid, playing with a firearm, etc.. then I will criticize one for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Athappyhiker View Post
    That's nice but not relevant. It is illegal to "willfully" discharge a firearm in an occupied dwelling in our town limits, other than a licensed shooting range, or in self defense. So that can't be an excuse or cover. When I know I didn't do anything wrong, I have no fear of police. Most of them (we are in a small town) are really good people, and I know for a fact they appreciate it when someone is up front and cooperative about whatever issue is at hand. I'd rather shape my narrative and have it on record that I self-reported vs. a report from a neighbor (our houses are only about 15 yards apart side to side) that brought the cops calling.
    Self reported......maybe you qualify for a new table...….stunningly, one of the dumbest things I've read on here yet....omo.
    ButtShot14 and Bad Bob like this.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar

So ya put one through the table, nobody hurt, buy a new table, call it a day.....learn from your mistake...………..call the cops on yourself, really stunning.
    Those bullet traps are illegal in a lot of cities due to laws against willfully discharging a firearm. So not sure where you’re going with that...
    Chicagobill likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links