350 Legend or 300 Blackout for AR?

This is a discussion on 350 Legend or 300 Blackout for AR? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I looked around quick but didn't see anything on this. What are your thoughts on this? I haven't shot either. I always thought the 300 ...

Like Tree25Likes
  • 3 Post By Risasi
  • 4 Post By sgb
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH
  • 4 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Marc_Brooks
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 4 Post By OldChap
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By ETXhiker
  • 2 Post By matthew03
  • 2 Post By ButterSmooth

Thread: 350 Legend or 300 Blackout for AR?

I looked around quick but didn't see anything on this.
    What are your thoughts on this? I haven't shot either. I always thought the 300 Blackout would be a cool round, but seemed a little expensive. It seems as though prices have come down some? How do prices compare?
    One plus would be, living in MI, the 350 Legend would be legal for deer, although, I haven't been deer hunting in almost 20 years.
    Thanks for your comments.

How do the ballistics compare? The blackout was created for a specific purpose, subsonic suppressed. People seem to use it a lot outside of that box, where there are much better choices depending on the purpose.
    Isnít the Legend a strait wall case for deer hunting in certain areas where traditional rifle rounds are not allowed.

If you just punching paper, you could find more economical choices.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

I see you're in Michigan. Do you reload? You also have 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowulf that fit your hunting criteria, IIRC. I'm biased, but I would do 50 Beowulf if you reload, you're looking to hunt with a straight walled case, and it must be an AR. I had one for many years and it has a good track record on game out to 200 yards. But if you don't reload I wouldn't consider any of the three.

Full disclosure; I moved on from the Beowulf. It's kind of a niche round. For longer range I prefer my 6.5 Grendel, and it's cheaper to shoot. For a straight walled rifle I have my 357 Rossi, but if you want a big thumper rifle for hunting you might also check out a lever in 44 Magnum. It's not giving up much to the other three cartridges I mentioned, just a little distance. I would say both are 125 yard deer rifles, if you do your part. And I've found the lever much easier to carry in the field.

Honestly I almost prefer my 357 lever rifle to the AR. When I take new shooters out they also gravitate to it. It's like a little lead Pez dispenser.
    gasmitty, Bad Bob and Struckat like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

sgb
    If you're looking to build a carbine or rifle length AR you'll get better ballistics out of the 350 Winchester. If you're looking to build an sbr/pdw or pistol then the 300 Black Out is the better choice as it's ballistics are better suited to shorter barrels.

I went 300 Black Out on my 8.5" AR pistol.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I believe the 350 Legend was developed for those States that require a straight-wall Ctg for hunting rifle purposes.. 45-70 ... 450 Bushy, etc..
    OldChap likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Moderator
    I think the .350 Legend would make the better big game cartridge. That's the one I'd choose between the two choices offered.

The .300 Blackout is not very intriguing to me. The .350 Legend looks like a hot-rodded version of the .351 Winchester Self-Loading round. I've used the .351 on one deer and knew a fellow who used it quite a bit. It is quite effective at short yardage. The .350 Legend is modernized and would offer the ability to reach out a little farther in the kinds of rifles it is to be found in.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Going to go off the board and say 300 HAM'R.
    Bad Bob likes this.

I went with an Alexander Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf. Go big or stay home!
    ETXhiker and Marc_Brooks like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

It depends on the purpose you intend. The 350 is a hunting round. Could it be used for defense? Yes, but it was primarily designed for hunting.

The 300 was designed for defense (and offense by JSOC). Cold it be used for hunting? Yes. A great many people use it for that, but it was primarily designed for hunting two legged creatures.

The 300 excels in very short barreled AR's. My 8.5 inch AR pistol develops as much energy at the muzzle as a 77 gr OTM military round out of a 16 in barreled 5.56mm AR and uses bullets with far better ballistic coefficient. A goal of the 300 was a weapon as quiet as an MP-5SD (silenced 9mm) but far more lethal than that round. It achieved that and then some. And with much heavier bullets than a 5.56 can handle (120 gr) it outperforms the 5.56 in half the barrel length.

So, the answer depends on the purpose you envision for the weapon.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    It depends on the purpose you intend. The 350 is a hunting round. Could it be used for defense? Yes, but it was primarily designed for hunting.

The 300 was designed for defense (and offense by JSOC). Cold it be used for hunting? Yes. A great many people use it for that, but it was primarily designed for hunting two legged creatures.

The 300 excels in very short barreled AR's. My 8.5 inch AR pistol develops as much energy at the muzzle as a 77 gr OTM military round out of a 16 in barreled 5.56mm AR and uses bullets with far better ballistic coefficient. A goal of the 300 was a weapon as quiet as an MP-5SD (silenced 9mm) but far more lethal than that round. It achieved that and then some. And with much heavier bullets than a 5.56 can handle (120 gr) it outperforms the 5.56 in half the barrel length.

So, the answer depends on the purpose you envision for the weapon.
    I agree and the one consideration I'd add, especially if you're not a reloader is the ammo available. As stated previously, the 350 is/was designed to be a hunting caliber, the bullet construction should match that purpose. So IF HD is one of the intended uses and over-penetration is a concern, the 350 might not be the best choice.
    OldChap likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    When the .350 Legend was introduced, one of the selling points was that they claimed ammo would be relatively cheap, along the lines of .223/5.56 ammo (I read that to mean $10-$12 dollars a box.) The problem with a new cartridge like this, is the high probability of a quick popularity fizzle, followed by poor ammo availability. My brief love affair with the .356 Winchester comes to mind. If you reload, this won't be a problem, as long as you acquire plenty of brass. Personally, I am quite intrigued by the .350 Legend and will probably buy an upper for it sometime in the near future. The .300 Blackout looks like it is here to stay, but doesn't interest me much.
    OldChap likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    If you're looking to build a carbine or rifle length AR you'll get better ballistics out of the 350 Winchester. If you're looking to build an sbr/pdw or pistol then the 300 Black Out is the better choice as it's ballistics are better suited to shorter barrels.

I went 300 Black Out on my 8.5" AR pistol.
    This. Running subsonic suppressed or supers out of a short Bbl is where .300 B shines. Itís a great modern alternative to an MP5.
    OldChap and sgb like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I have 300 blackout and 7.62X39 uppers for my ARAK. The 300 blackout lives in a box. I shoot the 7.62X39. Cheap ammo and the rifle eats anything. I really thought I wanted the 300BO, but 7.62X39 fits better if, like me, you shoot allot.
    ETXhiker and DownInTheDark like this.

Interesting info. Thanks for the good discussion!
    I don't plan on buying anything right away, so I'm sure I will change my mind before that happens. lol

Sponsored Links