I'm Out of Ammo! How Did That Happen???

This is a discussion on I'm Out of Ammo! How Did That Happen??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently bought two new guns in calibers I've not shot before, .380 and .32. I went to the range today to give them their ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: I'm Out of Ammo! How Did That Happen???

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar

I recently bought two new guns in calibers I've not shot before, .380 and .32. I went to the range today to give them their inaugural ride, after having made sure I had enough ammo for both. Since I have a supply of .45 as well, I decided to take my XDs as well.

After the trip, I came home, stripped the guns, gave them a good cleaning and put them in their respective safes. It was then I realized that I'm down to one box of 9mm practice ammo, and one box of 9mm SD ammo. Say wha???

I have six (eight, if you count the two I'm selling) pistols chambered in 9mm. It's my most commonly used round.

So how is it I'm down to two boxes? I buy this stuff 1,000 rounds at a time. How did I let my stock get so low?

Well, now I'm going shopping. And I'll have to wait for my refresh supply to arrive. I guess I'll be shooting my other stock (.45 and .38SPL), instead...
    ETXhiker and CDRGlock like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

flh
    Looks like a great time for this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm Out of Ammo!  How Did That Happen???-img_2862.jpg  

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

When I open the last case of a thousand I buy another thousand in that caliber. For long arms I settle for 3 to 500 as the cost is kind of prohibitive. When I was really on a tight budget I tried to buy a box every 2 week paycheck just to stay ahead.
    In retirement next year I may have to go back to 2 boxes a month but, I will save it up until I can get the free shipping on the thousand rounds again. Reducing calibers is likely another option with a fixed income.
    hogdaddy and Old Man like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I guess a lack of situational awareness ;)
    Last edited by Fizban; January 26th, 2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I'm Out of Ammo!  How Did That Happen???-ammo.jpg

I'm Out of Ammo!  How Did That Happen???-overkill.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I chalk it up to having to keep six different calibers on hand.
    Old Man likes this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Get a pistol in a serious caliber such as .45ACP and shoot slower. Alternately, start reloading.
    Last edited by KevinRohrer; January 26th, 2020 at 12:55 PM.
    Chicagobill and rainmaker like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Hmm,
    I have 6 different pistol calibers and try to keep a minimum of 500 rounds in each and usually a good bit more.
    9mm gets a lot more range time than the others and I rarely let the practice ammo get below 2-3000 rounds.

Long guns are a different story.
    Since the house fire I only replaced two rifle calibers, 223/556 and 30/30. I don't have an accurate round count on 223/556 on hand, but the 30/30 is somewhere in the area of 3-400 rounds.

Shotguns I have 410, 20, 16, and 12g. No clue how much shotgun ammo I have on hand.

Muzzle loaders fared better as only two were in the house, so 32, 36, 45, 50, and 54 are all represented. I have lead and bullet molds to last my lifetime. Powder isn't as plentiful, but can probably get by for the foreseeable future without worry of running out.

I also reload for everything except shotgun and keep a good supply of components on hand.

Me run out of ammo? Not much chance of that at my current rate of consumption.
    Old Man likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I stock these.

Caliber
    .22 LR
    .22 Magnum
    .25 ACP
    9mm
    38 Special
    357 Magnum
    .40S&W
    10mm
    44-40 Winchester
    45 ACP
    45 Colt
    44 Magnum
    454 Casull
    5.56X45mm/223 Remington
    30-30 Winchester
    7.62X51mm/308 Winchester
    50 Beowulf
    12 Gauge
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    I chalk it up to having to keep six different calibers on hand.
    Heaven help you if you were in my shoes... 20 calibers at last count. I bet that's modest by some folks' standards hre!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Hmm... I think you weren't paying attention. I wish those were the only ones I stocked. I have the following:

.22LR
    .25-20
    .32-20
    .303 British
    .38 Special
    .357 Magnum
    .40 S&W
    8mm Steyr
    20 gauge
    12 gauge
    Not to mention the 2 BP, .45 cal pistol and .54 for the Zouave

Edit: forgot .32 Winchester Special
    Last edited by Workaholic; January 26th, 2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Nmuskier, Old Man and ETXhiker like this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

I only have 3 calibers so I notice pretty quickly if one gets too low.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    I recently bought two new guns in calibers I've not shot before, .380 and .32. I went to the range today to give them their inaugural ride, after having made sure I had enough ammo for both. Since I have a supply of .45 as well, I decided to take my XDs as well.

After the trip, I came home, stripped the guns, gave them a good cleaning and put them in their respective safes. It was then I realized that I'm down to one box of 9mm practice ammo, and one box of 9mm SD ammo. Say wha???

I have six (eight, if you count the two I'm selling) pistols chambered in 9mm. It's my most commonly used round.

So how is it I'm down to two boxes? I buy this stuff 1,000 rounds at a time. How did I let my stock get so low?

Well, now I'm going shopping. And I'll have to wait for my refresh supply to arrive. I guess I'll be shooting my other stock (.45 and .38SPL), instead...
    Go online. I like to keep a few cases on hand, at a time. I usually get 2000 per order.

I also reload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I check and replenish ammo every time the Browns fire a head coach; also change the a/c filter. Works fine.
    Old Man and ETXhiker like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Get a pistol in a serious caliber .45ACP and shoot slower. Alternately, start reloading.
    Got one, my XDs .45.

Actually, I'm now chalking up this mini-rant to encroaching senility: I was looking at the ammo boxes in my gun room, where I keep my gun safes. I forgot all about the ammo boxes I have with "ready rounds" to go. After I ordered 1,000 rounds online, I double-checked my "other" ammo boxes, and found that I had about 1,500 rounds on hand.

Now I need to get to the range more and delete some of the "old stock."
    ETXhiker, Old Man and TSKnight like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links