Envy

Envy

This is a discussion on Envy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that you're not supposed to envy others but I do - I envy all you folks who have places to shoot on a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Envy

Envy

I know that you're not supposed to envy others but I do - I envy all you folks who have places to shoot on a regular basis. I'm lucky if I can test a new gun (and I rarely have more than one) to make sure it goes 'bang' before I begin to carry it. Our only county range is nearly an hour away and it's daily charge is above what I'm willing to pay and the yearly membership is out of my budget. The only two decent indoor ranges are 45 minutes away and also expensive, plus they don't allow reloads which is the only way I can afford to shoot anything bigger than a .22LR. I'd love to get involved in .22 target shooting competition but it just isn't in the cards. I used to go to a local range years ago to shoot my High Standard Victor but they always stuck me in a lane next to some guy with a .357 or .44 mag and that definitely took all the fun out of it.

Again, sorry to be envious, but I see all these posts with folks going to a nearby range once a week and testing all their shiny new toys and I get sort of depressed about the whole thing. Just had to rant a little......
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

Sometimes the only way to get an intelligent conversation is to talk to yourself..........Me

Get into air guns. For pistol you can shoot 10 meter, and field target as the formal ones and some shoot 5 meter too. The guys over at Gateway to Airguns shoot postal matches all the time.
    Affordable and fun. I have a great range 5 minutes from home and 2 minutes from work but still shoot a lot of air guns in the backyard.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I will second the airguns as well; I can shoot on my property without worry of endangering the neighbors or the noise.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    You have no friends with 5+ acres?
    airslot, NECCdude and msgt/ret like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for putting my situation into perspective. I sometimes complain that I don't have any real options to shoot indoors but I do have multiple outdoor ranges available that are close-by and very affordable. Posts like yours remind me that it could be a lot worse.
    airslot and MMinSC like this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    My son is in your situation, unless he can go to his uncle's house to shoot. Otherwise, only private ranges are available within an hour's drive. I wanted to take my grandson to the range, but the only Saturday a month that one was open to the public for one hour was a rather busy day. There was an indoor range, but it sold out a month before we went there.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I had actually thought about purchasing some unimproved land with a couple of friends specifically for shooting land. There were some options that were convenient to the city. In the end, we determined the rapid growth here would potentially make the land unshootable and the ever increasing traffic would make it less and less convenient to go there. Turns out we were correct on both counts. Perhaps may have been a good investment though. In the end, I have a great modern indoor range that is 2 minutes from work and 5 minutes from home. Also turns out I like the air conditioning.

I think buying some cheap land close by is a viable option for people though. It wasn't a bad idea and a few guys could pull this off easily. For me, it just was not convenient enough.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    Nope - all retired, broke and living in condos or subdivisions. Only ones around here who own land are developers.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

Sometimes the only way to get an intelligent conversation is to talk to yourself..........Me

I guess you dont want to talk about my range in my back yard then ? 😜
    oldIthink likes this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Any private gun clubs in your area? I belong to one where the fee is half-price for anyone over sixty-two. They give you work bucks for volunteering at the club. I am an instructor and range safety officer there. One year for me and my wife came to $7.00 total.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Any private gun clubs in your area? I belong to one where the fee is half-price for anyone over sixty-two. They give you work bucks for volunteering at the club. I am an instructor and range safety officer there. One year for me and my wife came to $7.00 total.
    Nothing even remotely close. Our local county range is about an hour's drive and the one in the county to the south is an hour plus. Three local indoor ranges, the nearest of which is substandard and about a 40 minute drive and they have fees that I just can't justify paying. Add that to the cost of gas and ammo (they don't allow reloads) and it makes me think I should find something else to do.

The nearest range from home is 45 minutes also. One indoor range bans use of JHP pistol ammo? But I also have 80 acres with my own range. I can even get out to 300 yards with a little work.

There are inconveniences living out in the hinter lands though. I'd rather be here than there anytime!
    oldIthink likes this.

A drawback of big city living for sure.

Senior Moderator
    Would this be of any help to you Skip?

https://www.google.com/search?client...denton+florida
    5lima30ret and msgt/ret like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

VIP Member
    Sucks when you have no options. I have an indoor range about 20 min. away and and an outdoor range about 45 min. away.
    Indoor range more expensive than I would like and too many restrictions, but better than nothing.
    Most fun I have is know a guy in East Texas with about 50 acres of piney woods I get to shoot at with few restrictions. But it is about a 2 hour drive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links