Pistol Caliber Carbine - Page 8

Pistol Caliber Carbine

This is a discussion on Pistol Caliber Carbine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by G-man* It is certainly a longer range cartridge than a 357 Magnum. It would take a pretty pedestrian 30-30 load to be ...

View Poll Results: Which Pistol Caliber Carbine would you pick?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • PSA AK-V 9MM CLASSIC PCC

4 5.88%
  • Ruger 9mm PCC with pistol grip

13 19.12%
  • Other

51 75.00%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree358Likes

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    It is certainly a longer range cartridge than a 357 Magnum. It would take a pretty pedestrian 30-30 load to be considered the same as a 357 magnum, and every ballistic table will bear this out very clearly.

Sure, the 357 from a rifle is a different animal than when fired from a handgun, giving anywhere between 300-500 fps more scoot juice. Certainly a logical choice for a short range longgun.

But beyond that, the 30-30 is vastly superior in every way; this is not even debatable.

So within the realm of a strictly short range rifle for SD purposes, yes, it is a feasible choice.

However, it WILL NOT, do EVERYTHING a 30-30 will do outside of that scope of usage.
    The real issue with the 30-30 is not the cartridge, it is the platform it occupies. Because tubular magazines do not play well with ballistically efficient bullets - due to the possibility of recoil setting off a primer in the magazine, it is stuck with very blunt bullets. Out to 300 yards those bullets work fairly well. Beyond that, they give up too much to other rifle rounds.

Having said that, the 30-30 has always excelled at close quarters hunting and has probably taken more game than any other cartridge since the early 20th century. It would work fine for close range self defense. However, given the skyrocketing price of pre-64 1894 Winchester rifles, mine will forever rest in the safe.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    .30-06 for me too, LimaCharlie.

Aww... come on OldChap. Extract that Winchester 94 from out of the safe and give it some exercise.
    LimaCharlie, OldChap and dp1911 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The real issue with the 30-30 is not the cartridge, it is the platform it occupies. Because tubular magazines do not play well with ballistically efficient bullets - due to the possibility of recoil setting off a primer in the magazine, it is stuck with very blunt bullets. Out to 300 yards those bullets work fairly well. Beyond that, they give up
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/leverevolution
    OldChap and dp1911 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    I couldn't figure out which one to get.

Pistol Caliber Carbine-dsc_0278-2-.jpg
    OD*, OldChap, LimaCharlie and 3 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Nice...but...

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...gr-hpbt-match/

.330 BC on the Hornady vs .462 BC

The soft point makes the problem of primer strikes go away - sort of, but the inherent limitations of a lever action then come into play. The 300 Blackout can run the Sierra 168 at a BC of .447.

No matter which way you slice it, the 30-30 is a fine cartridge for what it is. It doesn't hold any advantages over more modern designs. And no matter how long you argue the point, it is not a pistol caliber cartridge.

Now were we talking rifle caliber carbines...

@bmcgilvray I would like to, but out of the two we inherited, one is scratched up a tiny bit and the other is absolutely pristine. Looks like a new in the box. Both were bought by my father in law at Walgreen's Drug Store in 1959 - on the same day. I even have the sales receipt.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I like PCCs, and have owned a couple Marlins for some years. If I were looking for one in 9MM now days though, I'd get one of the Rugers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pistol Caliber Carbine-marlin-carbines-2-copy-copy.jpg  

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Sponsored Links