One in the barrel?

One in the barrel?

This is a discussion on One in the barrel? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son shot at the range yesterday and when he got home and cleaned his guns he found a .45 slug stuck in the barrel. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: One in the barrel?

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

One in the barrel?

My son shot at the range yesterday and when he got home and cleaned his guns he found a .45 slug stuck in the barrel. This was in his semi auto hand gun. He thinks that this slug was the last round shot before he quit for the day and he wants to know what would have happened if he had fired one more round. I didn't know what to tell him and I have never had that happen to me. So anybody know for sure what happens if one slug is still in the barrel and you shoot again? I don't think the slug was stuck very tight because he didn't say anything about having a hard time getting it out.

Bulged barrel, split the barrel, or worse.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

You can google 'squib load' and see what kind of damage can occur. It can be very catastrophic and could certainly injure the shooter. I've had 3 or 4 squib loads in my lifetime. One in a .38 special revolver, one in a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol, and two in a G19. Maybe I was just lucky, but in each case I knew something was wrong because the shot sounded different and felt different, so I was able to inspect my weapon and noticed the problem before firing again. In the case of the .22 Buckmark, the bullet was about half-in and half-out of the muzzle, so I was able to pull it the rest of the way out with a pair of range pliers. In the other cases, it ended my range session and I had to go home and tap it out with a wooden dowel and a mallet. The .22 was a factory Aguila. The others were reloads.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've had 2 . One with new ammo and one reload . In both cases the next round wouldn't chamber . I guess I was lucky.
    I found the first with a pencil after checking everything else . After that , I've carried a dowel. Just in case .
    In any event , it sure makes you more cautious when a malfunction occurs .
    BamaT, hogdaddy, airslot and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I am surprised that he didn't notice the difference when he shot it too. Thank God that it was the last round that he tried to shoot with that gun. Maybe he was in a hurry because it was a cold day. Thanks for the replies. I will pass them on.

Firing another round with a squib in the barrel could do anything from stacking this bullet behind the other all the way to making a big kaboom. Not something you want to happen.
    FLSlim, airslot, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    You really need to stay aware when shooting at the range. I've had a couple or more squibs over the years and you can usually notice a difference in sound and or recoil when this happens. If you don't catch it and fire again it's a bit of a crap shoot as to what will happen but mostly none of it is good.
    BBMike, airslot, OldChap and 4 others like this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

I had that happen once with a Ranger T 40 S&W - it sounded weak so I quit shooting. Wouldn't be good if that happened in a SD situation.
    The bullet had to be driven from the barrel, took some force.
    I've never had that happen with one of my handloads/reloads, probably because I load them one at a time and visually inspect each before hand seating the bullet.
    ETXhiker and Hoganbeg like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

MJK
    As an IDPA SO Iíve run shooters through thousands of CoFís and have seen almost everything. Squibs are rare but they do occur. Iím especially watchful of revolver shooters since a squib just before a normal round in a rapid fire scenario can be disastrous. Fortunately the two or three times this has occurred the shooters had enough knowledge and training to not pull the trigger after the squib and I was able to immediately STOP further progression on the stage.
    ďI come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, Iíll kill you all."
    ó James ďMad DogĒ Mattis

Senior Moderator
    Your son is lucky!
    hogdaddy, drmordo, FLSlim and 6 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Had 1 years back with a friends reloads.....he forgot to charge the round and only the primer went off sending the bullet half way down the Bbl.....glad I wasn't rapid firing at the time.....never with someone else's reloads anyway.
    ETXhiker and hogdaddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Had 1 years back with a friends reloads.....he forgot to charge the round and only the primer went off sending the bullet half way down the Bbl.....glad I wasn't rapid firing at the time.....never with someone else's reloads anyway.
    I'm no expert at reloading, been doing it sense early 90s'. Had on squib in the years, it was my dummy round got mixed.
    I'm lucky I noticed it right off, found my brass & red sharpie on bottom. Like already said. "Pay attention" when shooting &
    stay safe. PS Glad it was his last round ; )
    H/D
    ETXhiker likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Shoot enough rounds and almost everyone will encounter a squib.

I've had two factory loaded squibs. I've had a few squibs from my own reloads that were being caused by contaminated powder. I wasn't giving my cases enough time to dry out after cleaning and my powder was getting damp. Since I determined the problem I haven't had a squib since.

When you hear/feel that funny round stop shooting and check your barrel.
    ETXhiker and BBMike like this.

I've had two, both .44mag hand loads. First one the primer pushed the bullet completely into the barrel. I could have easily fired another round but I knew something was wrong, because its pretty obvious when just the prime goes off instead of 23 grains of H110. Second time it happened the bullet was stuck between the cylinder and forcing cone so the revolver was locked.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I've never had a squib, either factory or handload, but this past summer I managed to load five rounds for my 6mm Mongoose AR with no powder. There was just a quiet click on each, no more than the sound of the hammer dropping--no audible primer pop. I suspected bad primers as each had no indication of anything else until I broke them down and found my folly. None of the bullets budged to any noticeable amount, each ejected cleanly followed by easy chambering of the next round. I guess the cases were large enough and the bullet grip tight enough to prevent any squib.

Kind of that Come-to-Jesus moment in my reloading endeavors. It took many rounds to have my folly, but eventually I did.
    ETXhiker, OD* and ShooterGranny like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links