Documenting/Cataloging Firearms: What do you do? - Page 3

Documenting/Cataloging Firearms: What do you do?

This is a discussion on Documenting/Cataloging Firearms: What do you do? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Excel spread sheet grouped and colored by caliber in alphabetic order by make. Columns are Make, Model, Serial, Type (rifle, revolver semi-auto, shotgun), Caliber, Price ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Documenting/Cataloging Firearms: What do you do?

VIP Member
    Excel spread sheet grouped and colored by caliber in alphabetic order by make. Columns are Make, Model, Serial, Type (rifle, revolver semi-auto, shotgun), Caliber, Price Paid, Value (MSRP or estimate), Accessories (mags, holsters, laser, etc.), Notes (when and where purchased, total costs including shipping, tax, NICS, transfer fee), Total Rounds Fired. I keep a separate sheet on any issues I've had with the guns, mostly failures to feed, fire, or eject and the round count when the failures occurred.

I have photos of all firearms for insurance purposes as well as all documentation on guns I've bought or sold. I keep a separate Excel file on all ammo I have, updated whenever I shoot or buy. Everything is backed up to a local, external hard drive I keep unplugged for potential power surges or lightening strikes.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    original Bill of Sale in file folder
    excel sheet with all data including leather & accessories
    photos

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    @Rook49 , you inherited a lot of nice guns from a lot of people. It kind of seems it is not healthy to be related to you!
    You won't have any worries being related to me as long as you don't own a lot of guns.
    OldVet and montejames like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rook49 View Post
    You won't have any worries being related to me as long as you don't own a lot of guns.
    According to some, I possess an "arsenal."
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    I use a database app on Android, the data in the database app is encrypted so just getting the data won't get you anywhere without the app and my password. True there are probably some people out there who could break the encryption but it's pretty good and I'm not to worried about it.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

I'm another fan of Excel since you can keep both data and photos on it. I regularly backup my computer files to both thumb drives and DVD's. I know DVD's are old school now but I like having multiple backups. I also have original receipts stored in the boxes each gun came in. I also keep Excel files of my reloading data. What can I say? I'm retired and have the time.

I need to go through my inventory and add inheritance directions to each gun's info to limit disputes.
    Of course the kids will probably ignore it and have a swap meet.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Monte

"I'll huff and I'll puff ...woah! Nice shotgun. Umm. Look at the time! Should have been home hours ago! Wife will be frantic. Nice meeting you. Bye, bye now!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Never trusted any computer, off site storage or cloud. But I once had all my information on cdís and Digital photos stored on SD cards, but they were lost in the river when the boat carrying my guns across sank.
    Yours is the good one!

Indeed, where is the list of all of your firearms? Hm, whose else buseness is that but mine? Or: answer with question: where is the list of all your shirts, pants and costumes? I know mine went down the same drain the national debt goes.
    montejames likes this.

Excel spreadsheet on flash drives. One kept in safe one off sight. With the following information: Make, Model, Serial, where purchased/acquired, price if applicable, current value. Original receipts stay in boxes. I also have on the same drive a separate spreadsheet for magazines with type, brand, capacity, and quantity. Another spreadsheet lists calibers and quantities of stored ammo broken down by FMJ and HP. Obviously this gets updated frequently. Used to not keep track but got to wear I couldnít remember what I had and what I needed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links