Would you go? - Page 4

Would you go?

This is a discussion on Would you go? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Also the amount of time spent working there can affect taxes. When I was working in CA as a FL resident, we could work for ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Would you go?

Also the amount of time spent working there can affect taxes. When I was working in CA as a FL resident, we could work for up to 180 days before we had to pay CA taxes, which is surprising in tax hungry CA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    I was laid off after 24 yrs a couple months ago. Not a lot of luck locally but luckily I got a decent severance package that's keeping me going. I have an interview Monday for a 6-12 month contract 10 miles from Baltimore. Yuck. But its a boat ton of money. Going from a very gun friendly state to a very unfriendly state would be tough. I'm 61 but can collect on my deceased wife's SS. But no insurance til 65 so I kind of need to work I guess. So, would you go to a place like that? I'm kind of torn. Also have a couple of other possible opportunities pending so hoping one of them comes through first.
    I worked a career in Cali. The last 10-15 years, I could see our once-safe neighborhood in decline. I stuck with my (enjoyable) job, retired, and DW and I retired to a "red" state.

Suggestions to build a nice resume, get lots of potentially good recommendations from coworkers and acquaintances, never (ever) make enemies, and keep your radar focused on a better position in a better city and state.

Good luck on your decision and your success.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Ask. But, out east it’s common to have to pay local city income tax as well as state and federal.

As others have said, outside of Baltimore are some very nice areas. If I recall, some of those zip codes lead the nation in household income. Traffic is pretty heavy. And, there’s no good way around DC area from there. But, it’s 10 months. Be a tourist on the weekends! There’s DC, Annapolis, Gettysburg and much more. It hardly seems worthwhile working too hard without remembering to live a little in the moment.

Years ago, I worked with a contractor who lived in his RV year round... in Chicagoland! Or, look for a roommate situation and plan to fly home every few weeks so the kids remember you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Well some of the taxes would be offset. They pay 25% of your salary as per diem which is not taxable. So it would effectively be like 135 or 140k. A year is not that long but I would miss a lot of my granddaughters activities which would suck. I could fly her up and show her DC but that's not a substitute for seeing her begin her teen years. Like I said, I'm torn. I'll see what they say Monday.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Well, 30 minutes after I interviewed they made me a 62.00/hr offer. I haven't answered yet since I have another interview tomorrow for Texas and one for MN still pending. I'm still torn.
    Rock and Glock and drmordo like this.

Excellent Andy! And if you get the job in Texas drop by! I'm a born and raised Texican. And yes, 4 years ago I was laid off. Fortunately I had 3 retirements and my wife two (all defined benefits.. if you include Social Security.) I part time program computers for my 'gun money'!

Do note, Texas has NO INCOME TAX and it's not a real expensive place to live. And it is real gun friendly.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I would go.

I also would seriously consider not-retiring until age 70 - the social security benefit is much higher at 70 than 65.

Well I am widowed so if it comes to that, I can collect my wife's SS til I get older and change it to mine when its higher.

Well turned down the Baltimore job, did not get the job in N.Texas but got one in San Antonio. I nailed that interview. They told me I had the job on the phone at the end of the interview. A place call South West Research Institute. I'm be designing military electronics. Non profit so I guess they design stuff then turn it over to the gov't for them to solicit builds. Should be interesting. Same pay as Baltimore, lower cost of living.
    Poorly, LimaCharlie and mkh like this.

Well turned down the Baltimore job, did not get the job in N.Texas but got one in San Antonio. I nailed that interview. They told me I had the job on the phone at the end of the interview. A place call South West Research Institute. I'm be designing military electronics. Non profit so I guess they design stuff then turn it over to the gov't for them to solicit builds. Should be interesting. Same pay as Baltimore, lower cost of living.
    Outstanding!
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

And it's full of mexicans and is turning blue.

Administrator
    I would not move, just rent an apartment while I was there and keep my house in Alabama. The money is over 120k so yea, its crazy good
    Sounds like a plan.
    The time will hopefully go fast.
    That's pretty doggone good $.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MYMOMSSON View Post
    And it's full of mexicans and is turning blue.
    But I can carry guns

Well when it rains it pours. Had requests for interviews in NH, MA and a couple others pending this week and it's only Tuesday. Sticking with San Antonio.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links