Would you go?

Would you go?

This is a discussion on Would you go? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was laid off after 24 yrs a couple months ago. Not a lot of luck locally but luckily I got a decent severance package ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Would you go?

Would you go?

I was laid off after 24 yrs a couple months ago. Not a lot of luck locally but luckily I got a decent severance package that's keeping me going. I have an interview Monday for a 6-12 month contract 10 miles from Baltimore. Yuck. But its a boat ton of money. Going from a very gun friendly state to a very unfriendly state would be tough. I'm 61 but can collect on my deceased wife's SS. But no insurance til 65 so I kind of need to work I guess. So, would you go to a place like that? I'm kind of torn. Also have a couple of other possible opportunities pending so hoping one of them comes through first.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    You gotta go where the money is right now. 10 months can go quickly if you keep busy

I don’t know what you do for a living, but for me, I probably wouldn’t pick up and move somewhere I didn’t want to be within 4 years of retirement, but I’m also not walking in your shoes.
    WC145 and mkh like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

When I worked as a consultant/contract engineer, I went to many places I didn't like.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

If the money is really good, ten months is doable. But I would never move to Maryland for permanent employment, regardless of the pay. I worked a contract in NE Washington, DC in the mid-80's for eight months and was very happy when that one came to an end. Good people at the client's location but not a good part of the city and the commute from Virginia basically sucked.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I might go but I would continue looking for something in a more desirable area.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Go and watch your six. You can always pack and leave if you don't like it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The money would have to be crazy good, ridiculously good even, for me to consider moving to a place like Baltimore.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Sister and SouthernBoyVA like this.

Look at it as an adventure. If you do decide to take it though, be certain to take care of voter registration, or do an absentee ballot–whatever's necessary.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; February 5th, 2020 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
    “Propaganda will never die out. Intelligent men must realize that propaganda is the modern instrument by which they can fight for productive ends and help to bring order out of chaos.”
    -- Edward Bernays

I would not move, just rent an apartment while I was there and keep my house in Alabama. The money is over 120k so yea, its crazy good

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    You gotta go where the money is right now. 10 months can go quickly if you keep busy
    At my age, 10 months fly by quickly!
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    I would not move, just rent an apartment while I was there and keep my house in Alabama. The money is over 120k so yea, its crazy good
    Heck, I worked in CA for less than that, and it set me up for retirement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yea I pass on the CA. Jobs. Lots of them but no thanks. Lived there and left swearing to never to back. Passed on one today.

I lived in Maryland for 40 years before moving to Florida 4 years ago. 10 miles out of Baltimore City is fine. Stay out of Baltimore and you’ll be okay.

It is only for 6-12 months. It is a chance to go make some nice cash and if you really hate it, you can always bail. Stick it out and you can possibly get more short term contracts around the country. Sounds kinda nice- close to retirement and not tied down, take the ones you want.

Bottom line- Trump is president and there is money to be made. Make it now while you can. Four years later might not have a good president and this economy.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links