How many of you number your magazines? - Page 2

How many of you number your magazines?

This is a discussion on How many of you number your magazines? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mine come numbered in the mail January 2020 , February 2020 But I then do put numbers on my “clips.”...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: How many of you number your magazines?

Mine come numbered in the mail January 2020 , February 2020

But I then do put numbers on my “clips.”
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

Senior Moderator

Smile number the mags?

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    A few years ago I purchased an LEO trade-in Sig P220, an old West Germany model and it came with 8 magazines and all were numbered on the bottom in white nail polish or paint.
    I grew to like that system as I could keep track of any finicky mags and fix them or just use them for training mags. I can also write down new spring dates or what not.
    I have continued this practice today. Just finished numbering the 7 mags for the newly acquired PPS.

Do any of you do this or is it too "ghetto' to mark up your mags? Or maybe your more discreet and put it somewhere it doesn't show?
    I like being able to see it at a glance but, I don't carry any BBQ guns either so maybe that would alter my habit a bit.
    Number 'em? Nah, it's a waste of time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many of you number your magazines?-area-2-prep-2018r.jpg  

wmhawth, forester58, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I also apply reflective tape on my mags, allows me to identify my SD mags vs those loaded with ball ammo.
    forester58 and ETXhiker like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I generally have 5 mags for every gun, but I think I have 8 for my G48 because I've used it for formal training. I don't generally mark my mags unless I have problems with reliability. Then I'll mark them with dimples from a sharp nail on the bottom of the mag plate.

Lead Moderator
    All my personal mags are numbered. Carry mags and training /range mags are kept separate and used accordingly as well. For work I have not numbered my duty mags, and we use training mags with orange base plates for range use.
    5lima30ret and OD* like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Yes, I number mine on the base pad. Metal mag's, I use a electo-etching pen I aquired when I was a machinist. Other's get marked with an electric engraving tool.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    So far, none of my Glock mags have failed, even the ones from AWB era of the 90’s.
    Do they have the metal sleeve? All of the original mags for my Gen 2 G19 cracked along the back face of the magazine - they were 100% polymer, no metal sleeve.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Not numbers, names.
    I name each magazine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    LimaCharlie likes this.

I feel so inadequate here. I only have 2-3 mags for each gun and none of them are numbered or initialed. But then the range I use most of the time is never busy and I'm often the only one shooting so no danger of getting mine mixed up with someone else's. I usually set up a small table behind the firing line (outdoor range) and keep my pistol case, ammo and mags on it. I don't do rapid fire exercises where I'm simply dropping the mags on the ground in the quest for more speed. When the gun goes to slide lock I put the empty mag on the table and either pick up a fresh one or refill as needed.
    Tstone, LimaCharlie and ETXhiker like this.

I have been numbering my mags (even duty mags) with a silver sharpie for many years. As far as it looking "ghetto" I don't really care!
    Good luck!
    forester58 and ETXhiker like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    If I mark a mag it's because I'm having troubles with the gun and want to figure out if it's the mag. If the gun has no problems the mags aren't marked.
    ETXhiker likes this.

I do number my mags, as does my wife. (Silver Sharpie)
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41 View Post
    Do they have the metal sleeve? All of the original mags for my Gen 2 G19 cracked along the back face of the magazine - they were 100% polymer, no metal sleeve.
    Yes they do. They are all LE / GOV ONLY mags from 1996.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I number and initial all of them. On my 15-22 mags, I make a mark at 10 round, 20 and 25. Different matches only allow you to load so many plus only takes a quick glance to know how many are left or when its full. Had someone pick up a Ruger mag once thinking it was theirs, initials proved otherwise.
    ETXhiker likes this.

I label them to avoid confusion (Taurus 92 and Beretta 92 mags look a lot alike and to differentiate between other double stack nines), but maybe numbering them wouldn't be such a dumb idea! Probably a real good idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links