How many of you number your magazines? - Page 3

How many of you number your magazines?

This is a discussion on How many of you number your magazines? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's a good idea for reasons that have already been mentioned. I don't think it's ghetto but even if it is so what? You're doing ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: How many of you number your magazines?

It's a good idea for reasons that have already been mentioned. I don't think it's ghetto but even if it is so what? You're doing it for a specific reason.

I don't do it because it hasn't become an issue for me yet.

All of my training magazines are MagPul all my carry magazines are OEM Glock

I have twenty-eight (28) 1911 mags and more will be added this year. All mags are labeled and numbered for either Duty-use, or Training-only. Three new Tripp mags I bought for evaluation are labeled that way for now. Once I am satisfied they are reliable, they will become Duty #15-17.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Senior Moderator
    I can't count that high.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I can't count that high.
    Me, neither. That's why I number them.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

One, two, many, infinite.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    All my mags get numbered. Some get color coded AND numbered!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Me, neither. That's why I number them.
    I canít number that high either.
    OD* and rocky like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I don't number my mags. I have a carry gun with its mags, and a range gun with its mags. My range mags, are 12 and 10 round mags, and my carry mags are 14 rounds. When I qualify, I use my carry gun and carry mags (quarterly). Since it's the act of compressing decompressing the springs, that wears them out, I don't use my carry mags for regular range days.
    On range days, I don't usually load more than 5 rounds per mag, anyway. This is because, I'm usually working on something, and taking time to "mash mags" is a nice little break. I load 5 rounds, because ammo boxes are five rounds across, and even though I'm usually working on something specific, using only 5 rounds allows me to get plenty of mag changes in, as well.
    I carry three extra mags, off duty. If one were to go down, during qualifying, I would probably buy a new one(for carry), rebuild the old one(for range), number it, and carry on. That way, the rebuilt mag will stand out from carry mags, and as time goes on, and I have more added to the range mags, I can keep track.
    However, I purchased a P220 in 1998, and those mags are still going strong, so I'm not thinking this will be a concern.
    If and when, I start taking classes that require thousands of rounds in a day or weekend, I would number and intitial mags, for diagnostic and inventory purposes. I still would keep my carry gun and mags dedicated to carry, though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I number all of mine for carry guns. Something they made us do at the academy. That said itís an easy way to trace problems since the majority of issues are magazine related.

ETA: On like magazines which I have multiple calibers I also color fill the calibers. For instance 40/357 mags I color fill so I donít grab wrong mags for caliber when taking a 9mm.

Red tape for range magazines. Unmarked for carry. And why would anyone use Roman numerals? The X and I don't read well upside down. More space. More place interpretation means slower to read. There are many reasons that number system went out of favor.
    Psalm 144:1

I'd never marked my mags in any way but perhaps I'll start. I was at the range yesterday with a friend who had only ever had revolvers and wanted to try out my semi-autos. There were a couple times when he mixed the mags between my Ruger Security 9 and the M&P Compact 9. Those mags do look almost identical but won't interchange. I'm thinking maybe some marking on the side that's easy to see when the mags are laying on a table.

As far as I am concerned, there are no "range mags, training mags or finicky mags". There are only "mags that are good to go" and mags that go in the garbage.

What does it cost me to elevate all the hubbub, wasted time, effort and process? eh.. maybe $20 something bucks every few years to replace a troubled mag. $50 bucks every few years if its an expensive mag.

I simply do not understand why someone would want to "manage" a pile of troubled mags, all for the sake of saving $20 bucks every few years. It simply sounds like doing for the sake of doing.
    APX-9M and LimaCharlie like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    As far as I am concerned, there are no "range mags, training mags or finicky mags". There are only "mags that are good to go" and mags that go in the garbage.

What does it cost me to elevate all the hubbub, wasted time, effort and process? eh.. maybe $20 something bucks every few years to replace a troubled mag. $50 bucks every few years if its an expensive mag.

I simply do not understand why someone would want to "manage" a pile of troubled mags, all for the sake of saving $20 bucks every few years. It simply sounds like doing for the sake of doing.
    I agree... I just have mags period. I don't feel the need to put into service all 10-20-30 mags that I own all at once. I only use at most 3 at a time. Plus, it cost even less being that the fix for a formally working mag is an inexpensive spring change.... Even then, if a mag is pragmatic, just put it aside or mark it when the problem presents itself... Seems like a whole bunch of extra effort and complication just for the hell of it. Seems like something that was started via L.E. and the like agencies to keep track of a large number of in use mags for inventory and maintenance purposes, and some civilians with only a handful of mags decided to do the same at home out of habit even though it doesn't make much sense to me...

The only exception that might make sense is if you're using these mags in competition. Where you might bring several loaded mags with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I'd never marked my mags in any way but perhaps I'll start. I was at the range yesterday with a friend who had only ever had revolvers and wanted to try out my semi-autos. There were a couple times when he mixed the mags between my Ruger Security 9 and the M&P Compact 9. Those mags do look almost identical but won't interchange. I'm thinking maybe some marking on the side that's easy to see when the mags are laying on a table.
    Now in this instance, it would make sense to me to mark your mags...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post

Speaking for myself, I will drop , kick step on or otherwise abuse range mags while training. I will not do the same with carry mags. $20 per mag can add up quick that could be spent on other things. Training, ammo ect.
    OD* likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links