Shooting at Walmart - Page 3

Shooting at Walmart

This is a discussion on Shooting at Walmart within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Screwball216 With the last round of Walmart shootings, our brass actually suggested we all keep rifles in our personal vehicles... which Iím ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Shooting at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    With the last round of Walmart shootings, our brass actually suggested we all keep rifles in our personal vehicles... which Iím not going to argue with him; built an AR pistol for that, and have a Level III vest ready (my own funds).

We donít have car break-ins up this way, due to the amount of L/E. Obviously I make sure it isnít visible, which I feel is the best deterrent. In the town, we have two different Federal L/E stations, one Federal L/E sector HQ, State police barracks, county sheriff/jail, as well as local L/E. That being said, you may have 4 local guys patrolling. We already have it planned that if there were an active shooter in a local school, a car with a handful of our guys would likely be the fastest response...

But it all depends on the situation. Likelihood Iím going to find out about it when Iím near my vehicle... maybe 33%. If Iím inside, itís going to be what I have on me and Iím moving towards the shots.

Dentist (went the other day for a check up, and tomorrow to fix an old filling), doctor, even eye doctor... I carry. Trust me, I donít lecture people when to carry (hope OP doesnít take it as such), since I donít walk in their shoes. People give me crap for it all the time, even guys at work when I put in a request to fly armed... but just how I feel about the responsibility with it. Only exception is when I physically canít (go into Canada), but I store it at work prior to crossing the border and pick it up as soon as I get back.
    I've told my son, the very same thing.....Keep a long gun/shotgun in your personal vehicle, your Body Armor, along with Clear ID that you're a LEO........ I told him to come take his pick of what he wants, and believes he is comfortable with (which he did) and that makes me sleep better now...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    With the last round of Walmart shootings, our brass actually suggested we all keep rifles in our personal vehicles... which Iím not going to argue with him; built an AR pistol for that, and have a Level III vest ready (my own funds).

We donít have car break-ins up this way, due to the amount of L/E. Obviously I make sure it isnít visible, which I feel is the best deterrent. In the town, we have two different Federal L/E stations, one Federal L/E sector HQ, State police barracks, county sheriff/jail, as well as local L/E. That being said, you may have 4 local guys patrolling. We already have it planned that if there were an active shooter in a local school, a car with a handful of our guys would likely be the fastest response...

But it all depends on the situation. Likelihood Iím going to find out about it when Iím near my vehicle... maybe 33%. If Iím inside, itís going to be what I have on me and Iím moving towards the shots.

Dentist (went the other day for a check up, and tomorrow to fix an old filling), doctor, even eye doctor... I carry. Trust me, I donít lecture people when to carry (hope OP doesnít take it as such), since I donít walk in their shoes. People give me crap for it all the time, even guys at work when I put in a request to fly armed... but just how I feel about the responsibility with it. Only exception is when I physically canít (go into Canada), but I store it at work prior to crossing the border and pick it up as soon as I get back.
    I don't take it adversely. I work for a power company, and carrying firearms while on the clock is verboten. I can see their point of view. If I were involved in an incident and even though I was totally justified while on the job, some sleazebag lawyer would see my a.. fried because my company has deep pockets and he, and his client stands to make big bucks. I carry all the time off the job.
    airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Prayers offered up for your Officer Friend.... Good thing you weren't involved
    I almost was. The shooting took place on the next isle over. I saw my friend, Eric, and the other officer walk past me. I said hi, and he just kept going without acknowledging me. It was literally seconds when shots were fired. As said, things happen quickly. Eric was shot twice, but the wounds weren't life threatening. The other officers name is Eugene, he is still in critical condition. He is expected to pull through. The good part of the story is the perp is dead, and not them.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

^^^ Glad to hear both are expected to recover.
    SatCong likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Wow, talk about close calls. Any details on how this happened? Prayers for the officers.

I guess Walmarts reasoning behind not selling popular rifle rounds, common center fire handgun rounds, and not wanting open carry in their store didn’t prevent a lunatic from shooting up the joint. Imagine that. Maybe now upper management will make a new policy that they don’t want guns in the store at all so they can prevent this from happening again. You know, because psychos don’t break the law and care about signs that say no firearms allowed before they go postal. Glad you’re ok and hope officers recover quickly. Prayers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Here's hoping the wounded officers a full and speedy recovery.

Walmarts, Waffle Houses...

Gotta stay away from W places.

Don't forget Weight Watchers (another dangerous "W" place)
    Texas Red likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArch91 View Post
    Here is where things get dicey. We tell the anti gunners that these incidents are a statistical anomaly. Say 12,000 firearm homicides per year in a country of 350,000,000. Mass shooting are still a tiny fraction of that. They conflate the emotion of these tragedies to justify disarming America. Yet they do not have the same agenda for vehicular deaths, medical malpractice or all the chemicals they ingest.

At the same time I think we fall victim to this emotion, but in a different way. If you objectively read all these posts you might get the idea we live in a war zone. As a guy who works in Detroit I have to question the perceived level of threat. No doubt it is out there, but is it what we make it to be?

I am 3 to 4 times more likely to die in my car each day than to be killed in a homicide and yet each time I turn the key I never think about dying. I never run through scenarios of how I might react to a drunk driver doing this or a truck doing that. What I do do is put on my safety belt and do my best to pay attention.

So I just ask, do we as a group sometimes get a little carried away with the level of danger we perceive around us? (Assuming you donít live in a gang ridden neighborhood or something similar. I have walked through areas where kicking brass was not uncommon. If only the anti gunners put their passions on helping those places....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you've got that backwards. I've never seen a pro gun person tell an anti we don't need a gun because mass shooting are rare. I have seen antis use that line tho.

I've seen pro gunners say you don't need to load up to go to Walmart but never seen one say don't carry because it'll never happen.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I used to get ridiculed by a few as being "paranoid". I have carried a rifle, a Level IIIA panel, and enough ammo to equip a Marine platoon in a bag when Mrs OldChap goes to WalMart for quite a few years now. I don't carry it inside, I do my overwatch thing for her by remaining vigilant outside in the truck.

Lately I'm beginning to believe perhaps more people need to start being "paranoid", or is it simply being "prepared"?
    What's your plan if you hear gunshots inside walmart? Sure hope it's not to charge in with your rifle. That might get you shot.

Not criticizing, just curious.
    OldChap likes this.

I could prepare myself for lightning strikes by attaching a lightning rod to my head and drag a grounding strap around, but that doesn't make it practical or reasonable. Besides, people would confuse me for Jacob Marley instead of Scrooge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    What's your plan if you hear gunshots inside walmart? Sure hope it's not to charge in with your rifle. That might get you shot.

Not criticizing, just curious.
    Whatever happens inside, the actors have to get OUT. I can cover the entire front of a WalMart Supercenter with the rifle. They can run, but they can't hide.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    We have W*M shootings up here weekly, if not more frequently.

We might need to set up a new subform.

I told him to come take his pick of what he wants, and believes he is comfortable with (which he did) and that makes me sleep better now...
    You're a great Father, by the way.

people would confuse me for Jacob Marley instead of Scrooge.
    <BLOW COFFEE on monitor>
    airslot likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

<BLOW COFFEE on monitor>
    Better coffee than JBB.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^ True that!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I just spoke to Eric, and he said while a little sore, he's doing just fine. He told me Eugene is still recovering, and will be fine too. I reminded Eric, my concealed carry license is due soon. He said, no problem! He teaches the class.
    OldVet, msgt/ret, airslot and 1 others like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links